What was I thinking??? I need help now

Old November 11th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Default What was I thinking??? I need help now

Ok so in my ultimate brilliance, which apparently isnt very brilliant lol,
I desided to make some of the kalidescope blocks, but I made them all with 6
triangles, not 8 so I have something that is not square, and I have no idea
how on earth to even make them rectangular. The angle is odd. I used a 1/2
diamond template to cut the pieces cause that is what I had. What kind of
information would you need to help me? If it is the angle, how would I
figure that out? It was a store bought diamond template that I used.
Thank you for anyone who can solve my silly ideas haha

Carissa

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are

Old November 11th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Rather than "fix" them, how about using them as applique pieces for a
small quilt or pillow tops?

Old November 11th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

hi Carissa,
ya lost me somewhere, lol.
do you have a pix of it?
sorry, probly just me who is lost.
still working my way thru a late breakfast, omg, just looked
and its coming up to noon.
oops, oh well.
anyhow, with a pix i'd be more clued up, lol.
chew'n in the south pacific,
jeanne

"Carissa" wrote...

Old November 11th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

The setting triangle to make a hexagon a rectangle is a 60°, 90° and 30°
triangle. There are two pairs of half rectangles - they need to be cut
on opposite diagonals so that they are mirror images of one another.
That is if, as I presume, you have made a hexagon. If the 6 half
diamonds meet and 'fill' the centre, then they have to be 60°, which
will make the whole figure a hexagon.
Get back to me if this is not right for you.
You sew those setting triangles to alternate sides of the hexagon -
you'll see. Cut them large and trim them down, if you don't want to try
calculating the exact size - it's not hard but you don't have to worry
as long as those angles are exact.
..
In message EnLZi.25294$h57.921@edtnps89, Carissa
writes
Ok so in my ultimate brilliance, which apparently isnt very brilliant lol,
I desided to make some of the kalidescope blocks, but I made them all with 6
triangles, not 8 so I have something that is not square, and I have no idea
how on earth to even make them rectangular. The angle is odd. I used a 1/2
diamond template to cut the pieces cause that is what I had. What kind of
information would you need to help me? If it is the angle, how would I
figure that out? It was a store bought diamond template that I used.
Thank you for anyone who can solve my silly ideas haha

Carissa

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 11th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Well, I am lost so you arent alone lol. I can try and post a pic later.
It is a 6 sided shape. And Mary I am afraid the only thing I am worse at
than math is applique lol. Though with my nice new machine I just might
give it another try when I am done term papers. A funny story is the very
first thing I tried to quilt was an applique pillow... I hung it on my wall,
where it still hangs to this day, as a reminder to myself to never ever
attempt to applique again, especially by hand lol

Carissa

Old November 11th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

6 sides are a hexagon...i'm assuming all the sides are the
same tho.
i guess if its got six sides it is still a hexagon even if
they arent all the same. shrug
i'll wait for the pix.
i'm sure there is a solution online somewhere or someone
here will have the solution for you.

in the meantime...
dont be afraid of applique. by hand it is the fudgeability i
love so much.
i stick to designs from nature so the edges dont have to be
perfect.
piecing has to be 'just so' to be really good.
nature with its different points of visual reference and
light source will allow most designs no need to be perfect.
argh, that might only make sense to me, sorry if that is so.
i had my breakfast, should i call it brunch, and still feel
a bit hazey.
woke last night at 1:45am to go to the loo, was awake
tossing and turning til the cat needed to go to the loo, she
goes outside, at 3:45am. so i'm gonna function all day on
less sleep than i need...and i thot i'd improved my sleeping
habits.
argh again.
cheers,
jeanne

"Carissa" wrote...

Old November 12th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maria O[_2_]

So you have hexagons, and you don't want to do applique. What you need
to do is cut some more 60 degree triangles of the same size in a
contrasting fabric for a background. Sew one to one side of each
hexagon, and sew another to the opposite sides of the hexes. Now you
have diamond shapes, and you sew them together in rows. The rows will
have straight sides, and you sew the rows together, offsetting them so
the finished top has irregular ends with hexagonal shapes. You can
fill the ends with more of the contrast fabric or leave them, but
binding the quilt will be a challenge. See what I mean at HGTV.com:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...391458,00.html

Maria in NE PA

Old November 12th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Thank you so much That is exactly what I needed. I really need to get
over probelm of not being able to envision how anything aside from squares
go together lol. My undying gratitude is yours

Carissa

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are
self-propelled flowers.-Heinlein
ps.com...

Old November 12th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:29:56 GMT, "Carissa"
wrote:

Ok so in my ultimate brilliance, which apparently isnt very brilliant lol,
I desided to make some of the kalidescope blocks, but I made them all with 6
triangles, not 8 so I have something that is not square, and I have no idea
how on earth to even make them rectangular. The angle is odd. I used a 1/2
diamond template to cut the pieces cause that is what I had. What kind of
information would you need to help me? If it is the angle, how would I
figure that out? It was a store bought diamond template that I used.
Thank you for anyone who can solve my silly ideas haha

Carissa

Applique the pieced part onto a background.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 12th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Carissa wrote:
Thank you so much That is exactly what I needed. I really need to get
over probelm of not being able to envision how anything aside from squares
go together lol. My undying gratitude is yours

you don't even need to turn hexagons into diamonds, as long as they are
regular, think grandmother's flower garden, it very much depends what
effect you are trying to achieve. You don't want to lose the visual
affect of the kalidescope after putting all that work into it.

Cheers
Anne

totally OT.... what were they THINKING??? Marijke Quilting 16 August 3rd 05 11:15 PM
'What Was I Thinking?' Su/Cutworks Beads 2 June 17th 05 05:05 PM
What was I thinking? frood Quilting 5 October 12th 04 05:30 PM
What were you *thinking*? Dr. Sooz Beads 83 June 29th 04 06:03 AM
Thinking saucy Beads 6 August 24th 03 07:25 PM