WAY OT - rain gauge

Old October 11th 04, 07:37 PM
Kellie J. Berger

Default WAY OT - rain gauge

Mum finally found something Dad wants for Christmas.... but i think i will
have a hard time finding one that will work for him. I need an accurate
rain gauge that has numbers large enough for my dad to read. He has macular
degeneration and does fairly well with his magnifying glass, but things need
to be a good size to begin with.

the pics i have found online are from places i've never heard of
(storesonline.com for example) or they are pics where i cannot see the
measurements, just the ornamentation on them. Finding a lot of make it
yourself science project kits though. Any hints of where to go? Would
Home Depot/ Lowes/ Ace Hardware have good ones or do they just keep the ones
that are decorative and need to be replaced every few yrs? I've never
shopped for one of these before!

-- kellie
bergerk at sbcglobal dot net
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ber....net/my_photos

Old October 11th 04, 08:29 PM
Maine-iac Rose

http://www.backyardweb.com/1287b.html
how about this one????

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns to email me
http://community.webshots.com/user/maineiacrose

m...

Old October 11th 04, 08:42 PM
Joan8904

The Weather Channel website may also have some.

joan

http://www.backyardweb.com/1287b.html
how about this one????

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns to email me
http://community.webshots.com/user/maineiacrose

"Kellie J. Berger" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Subject: WAY OT - rain gauge

ews.ems.psu.edu!newsfeed.stanford.edu!sn-xit-02!sn-xit-01!sn-post-01!super
news.com!corp.supernews.com!not-for-mail
From: "Maine-iac Rose"
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:29:09 -0400

joan o'reilly
live strong
http://members.aol.com/Joan8904/index.html

Old October 11th 04, 10:13 PM
Patti

Hullo Kellie
Do you have a meteorological office for the State/county?
You might need to go the professional route.
..
In article , Kellie J.
Berger writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 11th 04, 11:14 PM
Queen of Squishies

Kellie, I got a lot of stuff for both my parents at Maxi Aids -
1-800-281-3555. They have a website www.maxiaids.com but they don't show
everything they carry. Call and ask them. Hope they say yes, they do have
one!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar

Old October 11th 04, 11:54 PM
nana2b

Is there anythingthis group can't find on the web? It is amazing. I guess
just ask and ye shall find it. :-) Linda

Old October 12th 04, 02:02 AM
Polly Esther

Kellie, if you can't find one that's just right, you can improve one. Whip
out the craft paint that works on glass and put dots - such as a green dot
at 1", a yellow dot at 2" and so on. Something else you need to know - the
research team at Tulane recommended an eye vitamin for my DH, the one that
contains lutein. They didn't have any magic cures but the lutein has halted
the progress of the macular degeneration and we are very grateful for that.
Polly

Old October 12th 04, 03:24 AM
Kellie J. Berger

Thank you !!! He is taking that vitamin and has had several surgeries. I am
adding it into my vitamin regimine too in the hopes that it can ward off
vision loss for me! Dad has dry macular degeneration in one eye and wet in
the other Also profound hearing loss. So life is difficult for him and
for Mum taking him everywhere now!!! But he is usually in good spirits,
and has gone to "blind camp" to re-learn how to do a lot of things. It is
amazing the technology available for helping him to read again!!! Very slow
process for him, but at least he feels he can still do something. It also
amazes me what he can and cannot see. Still a learning process for us all
and it has been a little over 2 years now since he lost the sight in the 2nd
eye.

He was in the Navy for many, many years and loves watching the weather. In
the move to be closer to us and the grands, they lost their sundial and left
the rain gauge at the old house. I think he would like to have a new one.
And the one at backyardweb looks like it might do the trick well!

I knew i could count on all of you to help me once again! Y'all are
amazing!!!!
--
-- kellie
bergerk at sbcglobal dot net
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ber....net/my_photos

k.net...

Old October 12th 04, 12:14 PM
Kate Dicey

dogsnus wrote:

"Kellie J. Berger" wrote in
m:

Mum finally found something Dad wants for Christmas.... but i think i
will have a hard time finding one that will work for him. I need an
accurate rain gauge that has numbers large enough for my dad to read.

What with the roughly 7 inches we received here in S.Louisiana over
the weekend due to TS Matthew,I've decided to make one.
I'm starting with a 55 gallon drum...

Terri

'Scuse me...

Squeegeeesuqeegeesuqeegeesuqeegeesuqeegee... Thass better. Had bits of
ham sandwich on me monoter for a minute there!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old October 12th 04, 01:27 PM
Maureen Wozniak

A lot of our local TV stations have backyard "weather watchers" who call
in with temperatures and rainfall amounts. You might check with your
local station and wee where their volunteers get their gauges.

Maureen

OT knitting gauge BDS2pds Needlework 5 August 30th 04 11:28 PM
Drill Gauge -- not OT EL Beads 19 March 30th 04 06:02 PM
Help! Wire gauge question Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 September 10th 03 01:58 PM