Kreinik Silk Mori® Milkpaint™ Colors

Old February 17th 04, 10:58 PM
BDS2pds

Default Kreinik Silk Mori® Milkpaint™ Colors

Will this cover fabric like DMC floss? Wondering if I can needle paint with
it.
Anywhere to buy a kit of all of them?
Old February 18th 04, 01:35 AM
Rhea

I know that a place called stitcherymart has the boxed sets on ebay all of the
time. I've never bought from them though.
Rhea from KY

Subject: Kreinik Silk Mori® Milkpaint™ Colors
From: (BDS2pds)
Date: 2/17/2004 5:58 PM Eastern Standard Time
Will this cover fabric like DMC floss? Wondering if I can needle paint with
it.
Anywhere to buy a kit of all of them?

Rhea from KY, USA
Old February 18th 04, 03:07 PM
Ellice

On 2/17/04 5:58 PM,"BDS2pds" posted:

Will this cover fabric like DMC floss? Wondering if I can needle paint with
it.
Anywhere to buy a kit of all of them?

I bought one of the Remember the Ladies kits from Kreinik - it's called
"Abigail's Wisdom" for Abigail Adams. The quote on the sampler is "Remember
the ladies and be more generous and favorable to them ..."

Anyhow, the kit is 9 skeins of Milkpaint Silk Mori, and a chart, with the
Kreinik Silk info brochure. These historic samplers were created to use the
Milkpaints, and the Milkpaints - for use in similar historic samplers. I
bought my kit (it's in a little CD size plastic case) when Doug Kreinik was
at a LNS doing his seminar. I've seen these kits in the shops. I don't know
if they're selling a set of the entire bunch - I guess you could check the
website. Finally, it seems Kreinik had designs done to be kitted as the
"Kreinik Milkpaint Series" . So, I don't know if you just buy 4 of these
kits to get all of them, or there if there is a separate entire grouping of
all. With this kit, there is a web-site given for the designer, Ellen
Chester of "With My Needle" - www.withmyneedle.com .

As far as coverage, the milkpaints they seem to me slightly, very slightly
heavier than floss. The instructions with my kit say to use:
Linen: 1 strand for over 2 on 32-ct
2 strands over 2 on 28-ct

Aida: 1 strand for 16- and 18-ct, 2 strands for 14-ct

I keep thinking I should get to this piece soon - just have to buy the 14" X
12" piece of Belfast.

Good luck - hope this helped a little.
ellice

Old February 18th 04, 03:39 PM
BDS2pds

Thanks Ellice. You are a kindred spirit and a true needlewoman. Just this
morning sending for the conversion chart from Kreinik for the milk paints. I
will use the accompanying DMC floss chart from the Jacobean piece I have been
talking about on rctn so much lately with it. Silk paintings were all the rage
back then and thinking the colonial milkpaint colors excellent for federal era
work. Thanks so much for your opinion on the milkpaints because I will be
buying them sight unseen which is nasty. If they are thicker than dmc floss,
that should do it. I checked out another floss ~~ Au Ver A soie~~ and told it
was too thin. Does that sound right ladies and gents? Since the seedcloth
appears it is going to be thinner, crewel is out and then got a bee in my
bonnet about a silk painting. Going to use the pattern we have been talking
about(www.jennyjune.com)(Roseworks Jacobean Tree of Life kit) . Wondering how
much this is "gonna cost me" but it would be interesting to work it entirely of
silks. Hence I am asking Kreinik to get me a conversion chart so I can see how
many hues there are of this silk mori thread that might correspond with what
they used. I like the flavor of the original charting. Good old Abigail. And
I fear the response had to do with petticoats.

Old February 19th 04, 12:35 AM
Alison

On 18 Feb 2004 15:39:28 GMT, (BDS2pds) wrote:

[...]
snip
The Milkpaint colors are sort of antiquey looking - dusty rose, dusty
blue, green, etc. If this is what you want then I think they would
work. Have you however considered Needlepoint Inc. Silk? It comes in
a lot more colors, more greens (wonderful antique ivy greens, old
English greens), more shades of each color, and is washable. The
coverage IMHO is just about the same as DMC floss. I use 2 strands on
28 or higher and it looks great.

Alison
Old February 19th 04, 01:47 AM
Ellice

On 2/18/04 10:39 AM,"BDS2pds" posted:

Thanks Ellice. You are a kindred spirit and a true needlewoman. Just this
morning sending for the conversion chart from Kreinik for the milk paints. I
will use the accompanying DMC floss chart from the Jacobean piece I have been

Thanks for the overwhelming compliment. People will think we have a mutual
admiration society thing going on ;^) I've met many of our kindred spirits
here - despite our frequent high level of discussion on all topics.

Your plan for working with the milk paints sounds good. They feel, ummm,
maybe a little less slick, more cottony in the hand. But they're soft - and
I'm thinking will need well moisturized - not rough hands. I think you'll
like the look - based on what you've said. I can definitely see using them
in a silk painting, or even in doing a crewel pattern - they're more matte,
like tapestry wool - but would look quite rich.

talking about on rctn so much lately with it. Silk paintings were all the rage
back then and thinking the colonial milkpaint colors excellent for federal era

We have a few of them in the Antique Needlework Boutique in my friend's LNS.
The oldest are early 19th century. Had a gorgeous small piece - but it was
snapped up about the day it came in.

work. Thanks so much for your opinion on the milkpaints because I will be
buying them sight unseen which is nasty. If they are thicker than dmc floss,
that should do it. I checked out another floss ~~ Au Ver A soie~~ and told it
was too thin. Does that sound right ladies and gents?

The Au Ver A Soie is the replacement for Soie d' Alger from when Kreinik
switched to the Silk Mori and stopped supplying Soie d' Alger - IIRC. I am
now holding both skeins in my hand - what a geek I am. The Au Ver A Soie
(Soie d'Alger) is now distributed by Access Commodities. Hmm - now I've
added a skein of Kreinik Soie d'Alger. They all at the strand level look
pretty similar. In the skein, when all 6 strands are twisted together the
Kreinik Soie d'Alger looks slightly thicker than the Au Ver A Soie. But, my
experience is using these interchangeable (they're the same). My Kreinik SdA
is a couple of years old, and the AVAS is new - so it may just me a tighter
twist when put into skeins. Looking at the Milkpaint Silk Mori next to the
AVAS, and the SdA - 1 strand of each - I can't see any difference. The Silk
Mori may be ever so slightly larger - but you'd only be able to tell, I
think, in comparing 3 strands to 3 strands.

I think whoever told you about the AVAS being smaller might have been
thinking of one of the 12 strand silks (such as JP Walsh makes). These 3, or
currently 2 silks, are 2 strands, which can be separated.

A heavier silk you could use would be the buttonhole, or perle twist silk.
JP Walsh makes one, as does Rainbow Gallery. That single coming off the
skein twist is bigger than 1 strand of these other stranded silks, but it's
a different look.

Since the seedcloth
appears it is going to be thinner, crewel is out and then got a bee in my
bonnet about a silk painting. Going to use the pattern we have been talking
about(www.jennyjune.com)(Roseworks Jacobean Tree of Life kit) . Wondering how
much this is "gonna cost me" but it would be interesting to work it entirely
of
silks. Hence I am asking Kreinik to get me a conversion chart so I can see
how
many hues there are of this silk mori thread that might correspond with what

I'm sure whatever you come up with will be stunning! You just have too many
options ;^)

they used. I like the flavor of the original charting. Good old Abigail. And
I fear the response had to do with petticoats.

I don't think so - if it was a response from her husband. They had one of
the forerunners of equal partnerships - so to speak. Funnily enough, in the
B&N today - I picked up a copy of "The Wisdom of Abigail Adams" - it's a
book full of excerpts of the correspondence between John and Abigail. Some
great thoughts, discourse, quotes. On the how can I not buy this for $3.49 -
less my 10% B&N card discount - table. Now I'll have to read it.

BTW - for the TW fans out there - the new Cross Stitch Gold has a Dragon
wrapped around a castle chart. Very nice (I bought last months with the
flying sleigh).

Keep us posted on what you finally end up with!

Ellice

Old February 19th 04, 07:47 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Do this threads actually have the name Mori attached to them ??
I would think this will put some artists a bit off using them ,,,,
as it immidiately calls up the famous " Memento Mori" motif ???
????
mirjam

Old February 19th 04, 07:47 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Ellice for this description of the threads , and how they
behave and feel ,
mirjam

Old February 19th 04, 11:34 AM
Cheryl Isaak

Yes they do

http://www.kreinik.com/HTML/threads/silk_mori.html
And
http://www.kreinik.com/HTML/threads/silk_milkpaint.html

And when it's not winter here any more and my hands have a chance to heal a
bit from the winter, I'm going to give them a try.

Cheryl

Old February 19th 04, 12:51 PM
BDS2pds

Haven't decided yet Alison, just sending for it to see how many match up.
I will definitely check out the Needlepoint Inc. Silk on line now. I just am
starting blind cuz I have only used silk in tapestry work before and this is
new to me. I am going to run down to the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art
Museum and look at one of the old silk paintings and determine if they are
"dusty" or not! If they brightly sheen then the advertising that the milk
paints are good for federal era are off.

The Milkpaint colors are sort of antiquey looking - dusty rose, dusty
blue, green, etc. If this is what you want then I think they would
work. Have you however considered Needlepoint Inc. Silk? It comes in
a lot more colors, more greens (wonderful antique ivy greens, old
English greens), more shades of each color, and is washable. The
coverage IMHO is just about the same as DMC floss. I use 2 strands on
28 or higher and it looks great.

Alison

Kreinik Silk Mori question Anne Tuchscherer Needlework 13 February 7th 04 05:59 AM
Silk Floss Rhea Needlework 56 January 27th 04 08:05 PM
AD: Scrapbooking Products and Partylite Babydi General Crafting 0 August 24th 03 06:30 AM
? for needlepointers on using different type threads in one piece Mmeindia Needlework 8 July 30th 03 04:22 AM