Common metal alloys

Old April 14th 04, 02:11 AM
Bungadora

Default Common metal alloys

(Would this be considered OT?)

I found a pair of earrings today that I bought so long ago I don't even
remember them. However, they must date from the early 1990's because I bought a
lot of earrings from a local artist at about that time, and they look like her
work. Copper hoops - I must have worn them once and took them off when I
started to claw at my ears. I have a sensitivity to some metal, you see.

I was wondering if someone knows what alloys are most commonly used in metals.
I can usually tolerate sterling silver or gold, although I sometimes have
trouble with 14 carat. Nor have I ever been able to wear
"hyperallergenic"(sp?) or stainless steel earrings.

As for my earrings, I think I'm going to dismantle them. They are missing a
dangly bead and I don't think I could replace it.

Dora
Old April 14th 04, 02:20 AM
Dr. Sooz

I don't know the answer to the metal question. But as to whether this is OT or
not -- it's not. This is dead-on subject!(Would this be considered OT?)

I found a pair of earrings today that I bought so long ago I don't even
remember them. However, they must date from the early 1990's because I bought
lot of earrings from a local artist at about that time, and they look like
her
work. Copper hoops - I must have worn them once and took them off when I
started to claw at my ears. I have a sensitivity to some metal, you see.

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old April 14th 04, 03:17 AM
roxan

Unfortunately a lot of cheap jewelry is made with nickel which most people
are allergic to, me included. I can only wear gold or silver which doesn't
cause a reaction to my skin.
Roxan

Old April 14th 04, 03:54 PM
roxan

Sometimes the weight of the earring causes irritation even if it is gold or
silver and is not a allergic reaction to the metal. The main problem is
nickel in earrings.
Roxan
"Bungadora" wrote in message
Thanks for the information. This is why I don't have very much jewelery. I
can't afford it. I can usually tell within half an hour or so whether a

silver
earring is really sterling or not.
Dora

Old April 15th 04, 02:18 AM
Bungadora

If I haven't worn earrings for a long time, even the ones that I know are OK
can cause irritation. However, I definitely have a sensitivity to metals. I
haven't worn a watch for years for that reason. I first noticed when I wore a
cheap necklace, and also reacted badly to the studs when I had my ears pierced.
As a result, I've never been tempted to have multiple piercings.

I wonder if people with metal sensitivities react to mouth studs, etc. I asked
a body piercer/tattoo person once about sensitivities. He just said he carried
stainless steel, and people don't react to that, whereas they do react to
silver because it is so impure. He just (basically) thought I was full of s***
when I said that was not my experience. He didn't say so - just sort of rolled
his eyes.

Old April 15th 04, 02:54 AM
roxan

Sterling silver does not contain nickel so their shouldn't be a reaction. If
I have a watch that has any part nickel I brake out in blisters, this is why
I now ware a plastic watch band. I haven't heard of anyone who is allergic
to stainless steel, but I have stainless steel watch bands that has some
bits of nickel in them and that is what causes the reaction for me. I just
wish they would band using nickel in any wearable jewelry. BTW. German
silver contains nickel and is not sterling silver.
Roxan

Old April 15th 04, 04:28 AM
Bungadora

Do you know if there are any content standards for steel, such as what would be
contained in what is referred to as surgical steel?

Old April 15th 04, 05:34 AM
Kalera Stratton

What a dip! People who won't listen to your experience because it
doesn't match their preconceptions are so annoying.

I have multiple body piercings and no matter what, they would not heal
until I replaced the surgical steel rings with gold.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old April 15th 04, 02:33 PM
Bungadora

Ah well! It's his business and I was talking to him during his leisure hours.
He comes into the store once in a while. I suspect he thinks people invent
allergies just to be annoying. Body piercing/tattoo/haircut is after all what
has made him an Extraordinary Person, appearance wise. Otherwise he would be
just another chubby, round faced short guy.

"Bungadora" wrote in message

Thanks for the information. This is why I don't have very much jewelery. I
can't afford it. I can usually tell within half an hour or so whether a

silver

earring is really sterling or not.
Dora

[Ganoksin] [Issue #96] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Beads 0 March 20th 04 09:20 AM
metal parts jw Beads 0 November 4th 03 11:25 AM
Question about findings and metal beads. Marissa Undercofler Beads 6 October 8th 03 08:36 PM
Metal Questions Christina Peterson Beads 7 October 4th 03 12:54 AM
metal beads AD Kandice Seeber Beads 2 September 25th 03 09:34 AM