What part of quilting do you enjoy the most?

Old September 23rd 03, 11:04 PM
John Gallagher

Wish we lived closer g Estelle
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. ..
I love quilting the most. (Hmmm... do you think that's why I'm a
longarmer??? *grin*) Design, fabric selection, and piecing are just ways

enhance the quilting.

When I do get these fantasies that I have time to piece, I like regular
straight piecing the best. Probably because of the speed. But I'll do just
about anything by machine -- appliqué, curved seams, paper piecing, you

name
it.

Given that I piece to have something to quilt, you might ask why I just
don't stick with whole cloth? The problem is that I put that blank piece

of
muslin on the frame and it's so, well, *blank*! It's just too

intimidating.
I've done plenty starting with hand dyes, which at least gives me a

starting
point, but I find that blank plain fabric too stressful to do very often.

Besides, if I went strictly to wholecloth, DH would question why I have

half
a room full of fabric. If I piece something once in a while, no questions
are asked.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

"Lynne Van" wrote in message

We've had this conversation before, but it's been awhile.
Really, I have two questions:
1. What technique do you like the best (appliqué, piecing, paper
piecing, etc.) Why?

2. What part of the quilting process do you enjoy the
most?(design, fabric selection, piecing, quilting, etc.)Why?

And yes, I know the answer for some of you will be "all of the
above"...but try to be a little more specific, please. (VBG)

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

Old September 23rd 03, 11:11 PM
Butterfly

My back? What is wrong with my back? AAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!!!
Oh....that kind of back--whew--you almost had me going there for a minute
Butterfly (I gotta pretty back--that's where my Wings a )|(

Diana Curtis wrote:
Youre back! I didnt feel the gentle stirring of the wind as your wings
passed near. Welcome back.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Butterfly" wrote in message

1: Piecing cause it is the 'easiest' for me right now.....

2: Being ABLE to : ) AND having a good Pro-MQ'er really helps with the
finishing.

Butterfly

Old September 23rd 03, 11:16 PM
Joyce McMurray

I like to piece the tops and pick out the fabric. I really do not like
to quilt. I either send it out to be quilted or a friend does it.

Old September 24th 03, 12:22 AM
AliceW

Thanks for the suggestions. I may just do that.

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
m...

"AliceW" wrote in message
om...
I love to bind! I love to make the binding, I love to stitch the
binding and I am anal over mitered corners. Crisp, they have to be
crisp. Now, if there were enough folks that didn't like to bind and
were willing to pay for the service, I wouldn't mind setting up a
binding business.

I'll bet there are enough! LOL

There's a lady here in Woodland who does nothing but binding, and I always
have her cards available for my customers because *I* sure as heck won't

do
it anymore (for pay). Methinks every LQS in the area probably has or wants
her cards, too.

If you ever think about setting up a binding business, check with your

local
LQS's and longarmers. Show them samples of your work, and you'll probably
have as much business as you want.

Old September 24th 03, 12:40 AM
Ann Adamson

1. I enjoy traditional piecing the most -- I do it by machine. Second
is hand applique. I have never machine appliqued, and I have never
hand-pieced! I haven't tried any of the paper piecing methods (yet).

2. I most enjoy design and fabric selection, which for me go
hand-in-hand. And then I like piecing. I also enjoy cutting, of all
things. It's so precise, and it lets me take out my agressions, I
guess. I don't enjoy the machine quilting as much, but that's just
probably because I'm not too good at it, and I really, really, really
hate binding!

Ann

Old September 24th 03, 12:56 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I bet you could, too! I also hate binding. I like to quilt. Hate to cut.
Don't usually mind the piecing. Hate the pressing as I always seem to do it
in the wrong direction!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old September 24th 03, 01:38 AM
melinda

Lynne Van wrote:

We've had this conversation before, but it's been awhile.
Really, I have two questions:
1. What technique do you like the best (appliqu?, piecing, paper
piecing, etc.) Why?

I've only tried two piecing methods: machine and EPP, I prefer EPP
because I can get the corners, etc to all match up, but my machine
piecing is improving.

2. What part of the quilting process do you enjoy the
most?(design, fabric selection, piecing, quilting, etc.)Why?

ATM design and piecing, I might revise after attepting machine
quilting. I just can't figure out how to do the rocking bit
for hand quilting, maybe I need a demo just can't get it from
pictures.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 24th 03, 02:26 AM
CNYstitcher

1-piecing, simply because that's all I have done so far...going to be
trying applique and paper-piecing in the near future. Piecing simply
because it is easy for me....looking to try the others for a challenge.

2-Probably: 1st, the fabric selection...love to play with different
color combinations; 2nd, the design...I usually do this as the second
step once I have fabrics that just scream to be made into a quilt for
someone; the rest is all equal at 3rd

Larisa

Old September 24th 03, 03:13 AM
Kellie J. Berger

Designing and buying fabrics seem to come easiest to me if speed, enjoyment
and productivity are the measures we are using here! But I like it ALL
with the exception of the basting process! That's probably why *I* have so
many quilt tops waiting to be quilted!
I'm also not fond of paper piecing (yet?), and the cutting/prep stuff gets
monotonous at times too.
I do enjoy hand work more than machine work overall... but I like machine
piecing for the speed factor! And i am trying to master machine quilting
for the same reason...

Kellie with way too many projects in the works right now!

"Kathy in CA" wrote in message
I prefer the technique of piecing the best. Haven't actually tried paper
piecing or applique. Not interested in paper piecing but may try some
applique later on.

I much prefer the piecing part to the quilting part 'cause I love to see

how
the design turns out. This is probably why I have 5 1/2 quilt tops waiting
to be quilted Also I need at least a whole day at a time to do the
quilting whereas in piecing I can do a little piecing every nite after

work
and dinner.
--
Kathy in CA