...mutter mutter...Help?

Old May 27th 04, 02:09 AM
Pati Cook

Any one else tempted to make a "Dorky Homemade Look" quilt? I am so
tempted......... it is on the list.

Pati, in Phx

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

"~KK~ in B.C." wrote in message

besides, how is it going to be an original and ~KK~ true quilt if it looks
perfect with points like every other HST top out there huh? yeah....

that's
it..... original! me! mine! no two alike! Yup that is my theory alright!

The
rest of you can conform to those perfect point people and just blend in,

not
me, no way, I gotta be me!!!

Sounds like you need the book "That Dorky Homemade Look". I read it on a
plane recently, and it was sure hard not to laugh outloud.

One of her principles is that she has no respect for anyone who can only
make triangles that have three sides. Another is that if you don't cut off
at least half your triangle points, you're just showing off.

I loved the part where she was told to sort her fabric by "mood", so she got
out every piece of her stash, talked to it to find out what mood it was in,
and discovered that most of her fabric was just plain cranky.

Seems to me if you can truly embrace the philosophy of being original by
eschewing perfect points, you're all set to become an art quilter. Welcome!
(bwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old May 27th 04, 02:11 AM
Pati Cook

When you have enough of the same size, or factors of the same size, make a
broken dishes quilt. or one with variable stars or any of the other blocks that
uses HSTs in large quantity. (Great as donation quilts.)

Pati, in Phx.

Shona in NZ wrote:

Snicker

Sorry I can't be of any help because my points don't match either :-) Some
are so far off you would think they are repelled.

Now as for triangles, I avoid them like the plague and sew squares on the
diagonal - both sides of the cutting line whether I need the extra hst or
not; those spare hst must be good for something sometime, right?

Shona with a hefty collection of orphan hst in NZ

"~KK~ in B.C." wrote in message
> [...]
ok I want to know right now! I want to read it in the rules! I want to see
it right before my very eyeballs RIGHT NOW!!!......... ok so it's NOT here
so I AM right after all!!! *mutter mutter -explicit verbs intermixed-

mutter
mutter*

I have come to the conclusion.... I HATE TRIANGLES!!! AND EVEN HATE THEM
STINKING POINTS EVEN MORE!!!! *yes I am throwing my best imitation of one

of
my DD temper tantrums here*

I decided that it was time for me to attack a different shape from a
rectangle or a square so logically I chose a triangle! Now I dont know who
planted that seed but it wasnt anything but a damn weed!! lol

Just had to vent here, frustrations of trying to make points has almost
driven me around the bend....

besides, how is it going to be an original and ~KK~ true quilt if it looks
perfect with points like every other HST top out there huh? yeah....

that's
it..... original! me! mine! no two alike! Yup that is my theory alright!

The
rest of you can conform to those perfect point people and just blend in,

not
me, no way, I gotta be me!!! *and I am too disgusted to go back and try it
again for the umteenth time!* lol

In other words, what is the trick?????? I pinned, I held it, I smooshed

and
straightened and eased and creased and..... well you name it I could have
tried it but still no nice points... well that's a lie, I have a few nice
points they just dont like each other enough to meet.

~KK~ about to toss this sucker into the trash....
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'The road to success is not
a path you find, but a trail
you blaze.' -- Robert Brault

Old May 27th 04, 02:17 AM
Pati Cook

And if you use the double sided tape, make sure it is "WonderTape" which is water
soluble and will come out when you wash the quilt and you don't have to worry
about remembering to pick it all out after sewing.

Pati, in Phx...... I'm just a whistlin' here.....while looking at the
sky..........

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

There are lots of options....

Practice the three tries and it's perfect rule. Take out things you
don't like a couple of times, but the third time you sew it - declare it
perfect and move on.

Remember that no one but you will examine your quilt from 6 inches away.
(Unless you're sticking it in a judged show...you aren't are you?)

Press it a different way...to the right, to the left, open. Sometimes
it matters.

Sew it with the other piece on top.

Hand baste the trouble spots. Then you'll know they match and won't
move when they are sewn down with the sewing machine.

Buy double sided sewing tape. It's double sided sticky adhesive that
doesn't make your needle sticky. Stick the pieces where you want them
and sew them down.

Use a fluffy batting. When you quilt it the puffiness will hide all
sorts of things you don't want seen.

marcella

Old May 27th 04, 04:35 AM
..Mickie Swall..

Lisa's quilts are anything BUT dorkey as you can see at
http://www.lisaboyer.com/
And her DH is a very inventive clockmaker too!
Did anyone see her demo her Hula Huts design on Simply Quilts?
I missed it (rats!) and continue to wait anxiously for the re-run.
Mickie
(typing slowly with stupid hand after CTS re-release on the smart one)

Old May 27th 04, 04:39 AM
Joanna

I am very tempted but I should probably see the book. Sounds very
interesting to me. Kind of like taking a piece of some favorite clothing
and making a quilt. No rhyme no reason just sew and enjoy.
Joanna

Pati Cook wrote:

Any one else tempted to make a "Dorky Homemade Look" quilt? I am so
tempted......... it is on the list.

Pati, in Phx

Remove Quilt to reply

Old May 27th 04, 12:10 PM
georg

Roberta Zollner wrote:

I get that effect often enough without trying, so no, it doesn't tempt me.
Roberta in D

Maybe if you try to be dorky it'll come out perfect.

-georg

Old May 27th 04, 05:40 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"..Mickie Swall.." wrote:

Lisa's quilts are anything BUT dorkey as you can see at
http://www.lisaboyer.com/
And her DH is a very inventive clockmaker too!
Did anyone see her demo her Hula Huts design on Simply Quilts?
I missed it (rats!) and continue to wait anxiously for the re-run.
Mickie
(typing slowly with stupid hand after CTS re-release on the smart one)

Wow! I just spent a drooly 45 minutes touring her site. Not only are her
quilts anything but dorky, but her sister's studio and quilting left me
with my mouth hanging open!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old May 27th 04, 11:45 PM
Regina

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message .com...
Some quilters view pressing seams open as a heresy, punishable by the Quilt
Police. I've been told that the seams will split open (never had that
happen), that the batting will migrate through (never had that happen), and
that plagues of locusts will descend (never had that happen, either.)

I have just started on some blocks that I am going to press the seams
open on. I had read that article also and it really made sense to me.

At the risk of starting a winding thread... not being totally AR, but
trying to be conscientious, I find the term "Scant 1/4 inch"
bothersome. I have enough trouble seeing and sewing a proper 1/4"
seam (age seems to be catching up with my eyesight). When the seam has
to be "fudged" to allow for ironing it to one side, it just bothers
me. I'm open to feedback about this from all of you more experienced
quilters, but that is the main reason I was told the scant 1/4 inch
was needed. If there is some other reasons please enlighten this
beginner quilter. :-)
Regina in Colorado