...mutter mutter...Help?

Old May 26th 04, 02:20 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Too bad, you're in! Phbbbbtttttt ;-P

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
news
I dont care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
Groucho Marx.
He must have pressed his seams open too.
Diana

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
m...
Sure! We're very open! *snort!*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
I'm a recent convert to open seams, but just for squares so far since

Ive
managed to elude the triangles for now.
May I join too?
Diana

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
Hey...three makes us a club, right?

marcella
seam presser opener (unless it's hand pieced)

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

You can hide over here with me, another "seam open" person. *grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,

remove the obvious to reply

"Kathy " wrote in message
In other words, what is the trick?????? I pinned, I held it, I
smooshed
and
straightened and eased and creased and..... well you name it I

could
have
tried it but still no nice points...

I'm going to risk having a pin cushion thrown at me (LOL) by
suggesting
that
you try pressing your seams open....all of them...and then try
stitching
your
points.

Please try a sample and let me know how you do.

Kathy......ducking and running for cover...

http://community.webshots.com/user/katquilts53

Repeat after me......."Spray Starch is my Friend!"

---

---

Old May 26th 04, 04:36 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Well, that is, of course, her opinion. g

The oldest top I've quilted was HANDpieced in the 1920s;
those seams were strong and held up just fine.
I've handpieced quilt tops for years just because I prefer
handwork to machine work; I machine piece for speed,
get better points and curves by hand.

"residue of handpiecing"? "weakness is covered up" *snort*
What a thing to say. LOL

My quilt tops lie flat just fine, w/ the seams pressed to the side.
I get the results I want while (usually) pressing to the side.

[I don't make clothing, so never worry about those seams; most
of my clothing has a serged seam which doesn't necessarily lie flat
and is not pressed open. g]

Your aunt has the strength of her convictions; hooray for what
works for her. ;-) Pretty quilts.

Ragmop/Sandy

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. com...
Some quilters view pressing seams open as a heresy, punishable by the

Quilt
Police. I've been told that the seams will split open (never had that
happen), that the batting will migrate through (never had that happen),

and
that plagues of locusts will descend (never had that happen, either.)

I think it comes from hand piecing. I don't hand piece, never will, but

the
quilt tops I get that are hand pieced are not as "tightly" sewn as a

machine
done seam is. And I don't think they can be -- just the nature of the

beast.
So a hand seam pressed open might have all the above problems. But my
machine sewn seams don't, and there are enough advantages for me that I'll
stick with pressing open, thank you.

What are those advantages, you might ask? The quilt top lays flatter (I'm
very anal retentive about this), it's easier to match points, never any
problem about which side is the "dark" side, and there's less bulk at the
intersections. I also find it's easier to get the seam pressed fully open,
which makes for more accurate sizes. It doesn't take me any longer to

press
open than it does to one side, but I've been pressing open for a long

time,
so I've gotten good at it.

Why press to one side? Several "Big Name Quilters" have told me that they
use it to control which fabrics appear to be in the foreground and which

are
in the background. It seemed to work in their quilts, but I do that

through
the quilting -- I think it's just a difference in approach. Paper piecing
used to require pressing to one side, but I don't have to any more now

that
I took Judy Mathieson's freezer paper piecing class. And some people are
just more comfortable with pressing to one side, which is the best reason

of
all. (After all, quilting should be fun!)

For an even longer set of reasons to press open, see
http://quilting.about.com/library/we...ms=mabry+quilt .

In
the interest of full disclosure, I will say that the article was written

by
my aunt, who was the one who first brow-beat, er persuaded, me into

pressing
open. And if you scroll down about half way, the quilt "Mill Wheel" is on

my
bed right now. *grin* (And also, I do NOT believe that she resisted

saying
"no, no!" in that class. She's just not capable of resisting the

temptation.
*evil grin*)

Old May 26th 04, 06:35 AM
~KK~ in B.C.

awwwww you mean I had my tantrum for naught? arrgh I should have saved it
for something bigger and better LOL

You made it almost sound easy to get points! I will have to try that
manouver as well as many of the other mentioned in this thread.

I KNEW this WAS the right place to toss my fit in cuz all of you have such
wonderful advice for newbies from your own.....umm......... not
mistakes..... umm..... experiements? oh no no that was supposed to say
experience!!!!!!!!

~KK~ who thinks the best idea by far was one involving chocolate

--
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'The road to success

"Patti" wrote in message
news
Hullo KK
Well, on the assumption that *one day* you might want to make a few
pointy triangles (not that there's anything wrong with a tiny fourth
side like Kathy said!), you have to find out which of the many reasons
out there is/are causing your points to vanish.
Pressing can have a lot to do with it. Take one and press it three
different ways - up, down and open. You will see a noticeable different
between them.
Pinning is another favourite. The method I have adopted and which works
for me is what I call 'perpendicular' pinning. Put a fine pin through
the very tip of the triangle into where it *ought* to be matching. Put
both sides together, but leave the 'perpendicular pin sticking straight
out. Holding tightly, put two further pins either side of the
'perpendicular' pin and anchor the spot before taking the 'p' pin out
before sewing. It only takes a fraction more time, and less than
unpicking and re-sewing.
Thickness of fabric can affect this - thicker fabrics need 'more space'
to be folded/pressed back than fine ones.
Thickness of the seam itself can affect it.
Cutting the original piece; and sewing on exactly (or not) the right
line can all have an input.
BUT once you have detected your own special demon, and exorcised it, you
will have no further problem. Well, perhaps just the odd one, to
reassure you and your friends that you are still human!!!
Good luck - it's do-able, honestly (but not in a tantrum gg - that's
not what trail blazing means)
.
In article FNNsc.8603$J02.4515@edtnps84, ~KK~ in B.C.
writes
ok I want to know right now! I want to read it in the rules! I want to

see
it right before my very eyeballs RIGHT NOW!!!......... ok so it's NOT

here
so I AM right after all!!! *mutter mutter -explicit verbs intermixed-

mutter
mutter*

I have come to the conclusion.... I HATE TRIANGLES!!! AND EVEN HATE THEM
STINKING POINTS EVEN MORE!!!! *yes I am throwing my best imitation of one

of
my DD temper tantrums here*

I decided that it was time for me to attack a different shape from a
rectangle or a square so logically I chose a triangle! Now I dont know

who
planted that seed but it wasnt anything but a damn weed!! lol

Just had to vent here, frustrations of trying to make points has almost
driven me around the bend....

besides, how is it going to be an original and ~KK~ true quilt if it

looks
perfect with points like every other HST top out there huh? yeah....

that's
it..... original! me! mine! no two alike! Yup that is my theory alright!

The
rest of you can conform to those perfect point people and just blend in,

not
me, no way, I gotta be me!!! *and I am too disgusted to go back and try

it
again for the umteenth time!* lol

In other words, what is the trick?????? I pinned, I held it, I smooshed

and
straightened and eased and creased and..... well you name it I could have
tried it but still no nice points... well that's a lie, I have a few nice
points they just dont like each other enough to meet.

~KK~ about to toss this sucker into the trash....
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'The road to success is not
a path you find, but a trail
you blaze.' -- Robert Brault

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old May 26th 04, 07:48 AM
Patti

I am an 'occasional' g
..

In article , Kathy
Applebaum writes

Old May 26th 04, 12:00 PM
Louise

And I'm a "most of the time."

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"Patti" wrote in message
I am an 'occasional' g
.

In article , Kathy
Applebaum writes

Old May 26th 04, 12:18 PM
Diana Curtis

I'm going to agree with you Pat, but add that it might be more like a set of
demons rather than just one that is causing problems. It might be a
particular set of issues in combination that throw the points off, and
experimentation is a great way to find which ones are the culprits.
Someday when you have time, cut out groups of triangle using all the
different lessons you have learned here. Mark them, or dont, or use the
freezer paper method or the PP method.. test your seam allowances, do
whatever it takes to make them consistent... and so forth. Try all the
variables and see which combination of methods works best for you. At the
end of the experiment you will have bunches of decent, and perhaps even
perfect triangles to use in whatever strikes your fancy!
Good luck!
Diana

news

Old May 26th 04, 02:47 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Shona in NZ wrote:
Shona who doesn't press seams open only because it is too darn fiddly in NZ

Pressing 1/4" seams open is too fiddly here in the UK too ;-)

Lizzy

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old May 26th 04, 03:45 PM
Diana Curtis

But, but but....its easier than going to one side...try it! I thought it was
to fiddly too till I did it. I finger press first, then Press..*dont slide
iron* on the opened seams...FLAT flat flat blocks for the first time since
I started quilting. Im stunned at the difference it makes! Who
wouldathunkit?
Diana

Old May 26th 04, 04:23 PM
Butterfly

But but but your tantrum wasn't for naughtjust look how
'entertaining' it has been for a number of us....here we are in our staid
and steady-on manner and along you come and shake us all up a bit with

NO POINTY POINTS

Nuff to make any hearty quilter cry

Butterfly (jez having a bit of fun this AM--afore Pain and Torture)

Old May 26th 04, 05:53 PM
Sandy Foster

In article P%Psc.9860$J02.3260@edtnps84,
"~KK~ in B.C." wrote:

omg LOL I dont know why I didnt think of this myself or sooner *would have
saved money on headache meds*

Chatting with my neighbour lady here and she says that back in the days when
her mother used to quilt she was quite adament that there was no such thing
as a perfect point, only a perfect place to put an embelishment!!

Buttons, pom-poms, applique mini's, etc etc. She said dont fret about your
corners just buy embelishments

~KK~ who thinks this is a great idea since it was going to be tied anyways!
*tied because the points dont match and there is now way I would attempt
SITD with that kind of mess*

Congratulations! What was a disaster has become a design element! G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1