Question about 15-91

Old August 2nd 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

Default Question about 15-91

Ok so now I'm really confused. Dollar amounts of $25 up to $300. I don't
know what to do now. I wasn't in the market for a new machine. Just
browsing while he was looking at mine and he pointed out this little cutie.

I've never seen any at our local Goodwill's or any garage sales for that
matter.

--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Aug 1, 9:49 am, "Taria" wrote:
I probably wouldn't go over $30. Common machine, not original case.
There
were a LOT of those machines made. Lots around if you get looking. If it
makes you happy, is in good condition and you have plenty of money to
spend
go for what makes you happy though. The value of old sewing machines is
pretty dismal for the most part
anymore.
Taria"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message

Wow, my estimate maaaaaybe was a bit high. You can tell I
have a special affinity for that model! :-)
When I bought my Pfaff, the dealer asked if I was interested in
trading my 15-91. I really felt like he was asking if I wanted to
trade
off one of my kids. :-)

Sherry

Old August 2nd 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

"Sandy E" wrote in message
Howdy!

Do you want it?

Several years ago we saw one in a nice cabinet at a junk shop in Dallas;
husband was as interested as I was, so he went back & got it for me, $75.
It works (cord needed to be replaced but he fixed it), and it's in
great shape, details on the machine shine. It's been worth it for the
entertainment value, friends (& repairmen g) see it & are drawn to it,
some examine it, remember growing up w/ something similar.
Meanwhile, it makes a nice stitch, doesn't talk too loudly while sewing,
and the cabinet opens to a pretty work & display surface.

So, Cindy, do you want it?
Do you need a treat for being in GA when you'd rather be in MO?

R/Sandy

Old August 2nd 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 2, 11:03*am, "Cindy Schmidt" wrote:
Ok so now I'm really confused. *Dollar amounts of $25 up to $300. *I don't
know what to do now. *I wasn't in the market for a new machine. *Just
browsing while he was looking at mine and he pointed out this little cutie.

I've never seen any at our local Goodwill's or any garage sales for that
matter.

--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

Well, let me backtrack a little; because overall I am sure Taria's
estimate is closer to reality.
The one I mentioned for $300 was pristine. Just absolutely pristine
without
even cosmetic scratches that could be noticed. It was in a (maple?)
French provincial cabinet that likewise looked never-used. You don't
seem to see those cabinets near as often.
And that's all well and good, but there's something a little creepy
about a 60 year old machine that looks that good, no?
Sherry
Old August 3rd 10, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

NOoo, Sherry. Not creepy. It was probably just a well-intentioned gift to
Mama when what she really wanted was a Harley or dentures that fit. Polly

"Sherry"

Old August 3rd 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 2, 10:11*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
NOoo, Sherry. *Not creepy. *It was probably just a well-intentioned gift to
Mama when what she really wanted was a Harley or dentures that fit. *Polly

Heh. I should have answered that myself. My mom's 15-91 (that I have
now)...is/was in pristine condition too, until I got it. Daddy bought
it
for her in 1951 -- his mother (my granny) was a wonderful seamstress
and I'm
sure he thought it was the perfect gift for the new bride. I never
remember my mother using it, except to mend things and she
did plenty of grumbling under her breath (I'd catch the word "tension"
a lot) when she did that. Granny continued to make our clothing
and the 15-91 sat in the living room with a vase of plastic roses on
top of the lovely maple cabinet. Mama was an outdoorsy girl.
When she died in 1976, she really owned only two things of value, her
wedding rings and that machine. I wanted the machine and my sister
wanted the rings.
I always wished mama and granny were still around to see me win
the quilt show last year. They'd be shocked.
The story goes that when he bought the machine, they sent home
the wrong stool. The stool that goes with the cabinet was maple,
and had curved legs. Mama never did make the exchange for some
reason, and I have looked everywhere for that stool to match my
cabinet. Someday I hope to find it. The stool that I have has drops
of paint all over it -- Mama liked to do things herself, and painting
the inside of the house was one of them. I guess we couldn't afford
a step ladder back then, :-)
Sorry for the rambling. Nice memories.

Sherry

"Sherry"

Old August 3rd 10, 04:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

You know, your mama and g'ma just might have
been looking down on you and your quilt show
win. I sure hope so anyway. We were/are all very
proud of you. : )
Taria

Old August 3rd 10, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

OK, my 2 cents.

Mine was free, all decals perfect, French provincial cabinet, cabinet
needs some polish. It's almost as old as me!

But I had to wait for DMIL to downsize, 15 years. She knew that I
wanted it.

I runs fine hasn't been serviced in the last 30 years, and needs
cleaned and lubed. Has all original attachments (yes they used to come
with the machine), button hole thing, book, etc. I have used it to
mend things for her, at her request, in her home.

Bonnie, Middletown, VA

Old August 4th 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

wrote:

[...]

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

Those attachments look very intimidating to me. One day I am
going to get the book out and figure them out. If you do the same,
I'd love to hear a report! (Such a contraption for ruffling!)

Sherry
Old August 4th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

I have actually used most, if not all, of those attachments. G
Actually I have worn out a ruffler in the past.
They are fun to use, but do need some practice. Love my narrow hemmer
feet, and the ruffler is great too. The binding attachment works on
stuff that is not too thick, but isn't as quick as the standard quilt
binding ("French" binding) technique.
Some of the other attachments/feet don't have a lot of practical uses
because of changes in availability of notions and such. But it is fun
to play with them.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx