Warning about an online store

Old July 31st 10, 10:36 AM
mensjeans mensjeans is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Gibson[_2_] View Post
I thought potential customers should be warned, particularly
international customers. I placed an order on the 19th of June which
has still not shown up, and after contacting the owner, it now
transpires that the order was shipped to Canada. Now, I've been
ordering online for what - 10 years? - and I don't choose Canada as the
shipping address because, well, I don't live there. I have no idea what
has gone wrong... my copy of the order doesn't have Canada listed as my
address. I ordered from this online shop 4 years ago and that order
went missing, never to arrive to me or apparently back to the owner, who
refused to issue a refund or apologise for this incident.

Fast forward 4 years. I only ordered from this shop because it carries
many older fabrics and I couldn't find the 1930s reproduction fabric I
was after at any other shop. I think two orders going missing is a sign
of something fundamental going wrong at the store, and I thought you
people might like to know. The shop is: The Spider's Web and the
addrss is: www.thespiderswebfabricshop.com

I suspect that I will not receive any refund, so I'm contacting my
credit card company now to see what options are available to me. I
think I'll make a big "avoid" list of shops as well, to be placed next
to the computer lest I forget this valuable lesson.

-- Jo in Scotland
I don't think it's a perfect way to buy on the internet, sometimes it,s really cheap, compared to the store or the supermarket, but the quality of the product is the problem, and don't forget the services after you buy it. So next time think it twice before you buy.
Old July 31st 10, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Default Warning about an online store

With all due respect 'mensjeans' in many cases it is much cheaper to buy
item in America and have them shipped to the buyer in other countries.

I know I have seen Australian fabrics advertised for approx half price in
the USA. So it works out cheaper to buy these from USA and have them shipped
to Australia than buy locally.

The problem wasn't the quality of the item, it waas the quality of the
service for a customer who never recieved her order and not for the first
time.

Dee in Oz

"mensjeans" wrote in message
I don't think it's a perfect way to buy on the internet, sometimes it,s
really cheap, compared to the store or the supermarket, but the quality
of the product is the problem, and don't forget the services after you
buy it. So next time think it twice before you buy.
mensjeans

Old July 31st 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default flip side Warning about an online store

Howdy!

Go ahead and mention the shop by name. After all, you're offering us
a "Warning" (sez so in the subject line), not ordering a curse on them.

All shipping concerns aside (and really, it's such a gamble, shipping),
it's the shop's response that helps me decide whether to keep them
or toss them.

Last month I opened a new bag of Hobbs Thermore batting, spread it out
on the floor, ready for the quilt sandwich, to find a large chunk cut out
of one corner. Huh? I briefly wondered if I'd cut a piece out for
a baby quilt (just the right size), then reminded myself that I'd just
opened the bag, so: it wasn't me! I emailed Hobbs Bonded Fibers
immediately, told them of the condition of the batt, fussed about the
inconvenience (I was sandwiching this quilt NOW, would have to run to
the store NOW in the 100* heat of June in Texas!), and said I was
disconcerted as a long-time Hobbs batting fan and supporter.
Within a few minutes I had an email response, an apology, and a promise
to make reparations. 2 days later I received a box w/ 3 Thermore
batts in it, from Hobbs Bonded Fibers in Waco, Tx. (100 miles from here),
at no charge.
Now THAT'S service.
http://www.hobbsbondedfibers.com/products-retail.html

Good luck, Jo!

R/Sandy - more than happy to name names, the good and the not-so
...remembering my rant over H-of-P several years ago; good store
to shop as a walk-in, terrible online service 3 times: Strike Out!

p.s. I use the Thermore w/ cotton flannel for quilts for cancer
patients; it makes a lighter quilt, super cuddly; easy to wash, quick to dry

On 7/30/10 10:55 AM, in article ABC4o.4523$wq2.448@hurricane, "Jo Gibson"
wrote:

On 30/07/2010 16:06, Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:
think I'll make a big "avoid" list of shops as well, to be placed next
to the computer lest I forget this valuable lesson.

-- Jo in Scotland

We should compile a blackball list of shops like this, ones that have
really proven they are sub-standard, and keep it in the RCTQ archives.

Jo, hope your cc company comes through for you. They usually do for me.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

I find that sometimes when people want to complain about bad service at
a LQS or an online store on this forum they are very coy and write
something such as, "contact me if you wish to know which store it is".
Why is this? Do they fear libel from the company in question? I think
the exception to this rule is JoAnn's, TSWLTH, which everyone happily
slags off. I just wanted to put my experience out there as a warning to
people about this shop. I understand Polly has had great service, but
my tale of woe is about this company's response to an *international*
order, which Polly's of course are not.

Years ago, I had a big order from Bighornquilts go missing. I contacted
them and you know what, they believed me and credited me for the missing
order. It was so large it had been broken down into 2 global priority
envelops. About 6 months after I had ordered it, it turned up at their
shop. We have no idea where it had been all that time, but I sent them
money for 1/2 of the order to be posted out to me, and they sold the
other half in the shop.

About the same time, I purchased my first order with The Spider's Web.
That order went to some parcel depot out in the middle of nowhere, I had
no car and no time free from work to collect it and when I did get up to
the depot, they had sent it back to the US before the "we will hold it
here for 3 weeks" time had run out. The owner of The Spider's Web
became annoyed by my emails asking if the order had been returned. One
was along the lines of, "it's been 6 weeks since you placed the order.
It's not here. If you don't have it, what do you expect me to do about
it?" Well, it takes time for a parcel to go *back* through US customs
and be returned to sender, after it cannot be delivered in the UK. So I
was just trying to follow up and see if she had received the parcel
back, as Bighorn Quilts had done. You see, I had experience at this
point of what to do, and how long it might take.

Fast forward 4 years. I've nothing bad to say about Bighorn Quilts, and
their generosity and belief in me led to be returning to their store
again and again. I thought I might try The Spider's Web once more,
because I believed that the first incidence might have been my usual bad
luck, etc. However, to have the second parcel sent to Canada (?!?) and
to be told there is nothing the owner can or will do about it doesn't
make me terribly happy. The order cost me $80 and I am unlikely to ever
see the merchandise. I asked at my local parcel depot today what I can
do about this parcel which went to New Brunswick, Canada and was advised
to keep contacting The Spider's Web and asking if/when it was returned
to her, since it will be *eventually. Well, I know what response I am
likely to get. Something along the lines of, it's been weeks and weeks
since you placed that order, it went missing, get over it, there's
nothing I can or will do to help you.

So there you are. Well done to all who have had a great experience with
this shop. To those who have not (like me) or who are thinking of
ordering from this shop, well - buyer beware!

-- Jo in Scotland

Old July 31st 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jul 31, 11:40*am, Sandy E wrote:
Howdy!

Go ahead and mention the shop by name. *After all, you're offering us
a "Warning" (sez so in the subject line), not ordering a curse on them.

On 30/07/2010 16:06, Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:
We should compile a blackball list of shops like this, ones that have
really proven they are sub-standard, and keep it in the RCTQ archives.

You don't think that qualifies as ordering a curse? I wonder...
Old August 1st 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

wrote:
[...]

-- Jo in Scotland- Hide quoted text -

That's good to know. I had a bad order turn out very good from
Hancocks/Paducah once. I ordered Quilters Dream Puff, and they sent
me Quilters Dream Wool. They ended up letting me just keep the
Wool. Pretty good deal, since I ended up using it, and it's definitely
not cheap.

Sherry
Old August 1st 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Sloppy editing, Doc; I was obviously replying to Jo's
note, and her subject line.

think I'll make a big "avoid" list of shops as well, to be placed next
to the computer lest I forget this valuable lesson.

-- Jo in Scotland

Don't make me call the flying monkeys.... ;-D

R/Sandy

On 7/31/10 12:31 PM, in article
, "Dr.

Old August 2nd 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Maybe obvious to some; it wasn't to me.

Zachary Smith" wrote:
On Jul 31, 11:40*am, Sandy E wrote:
Howdy!

Go ahead and mention the shop by name. *After all, you're offering us
a "Warning" (sez so in the subject line), not ordering a curse on them..

On 30/07/2010 16:06, Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:
We should compile a blackball list of shops like this, ones that have
really proven they are sub-standard, and keep it in the RCTQ archives.

You don't think that qualifies as ordering a curse? *I wonder...- Hide quoted text -

Warning purchasing online from Stained Glass Wharehouse. [email protected] Glass 12 July 6th 06 09:02 AM
New Online Store www.patchworkbetweenfriends.com.au Quilting 4 December 20th 05 11:10 PM
Online store Hindrikje Beads 1 December 28th 04 05:10 AM
Warning: Online Scam targeting Beaders KDK Beads 1 December 5th 03 06:51 AM
online store in CA? Puffins Quilting 0 November 24th 03 07:18 AM