Q's for the serger owners here

Old July 29th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Default Q's for the serger owners here

I have a 5 thread Huskylock 936. I love it. It sews at three speeds
which I have found useful (fast for straight, but I can slow it down
for corners and bulky fabrics). I use the 5 thread for construction,
but have never used the cover stitch (too much hassle and you still
have to turn up the hem and measure it). I mostly use the 4-thread
overlock.

I love to be able to whizz up the edges of a wholecloth to stop it
fraying. I use it to sew on the bindings to my quilts, especially as
it does a lovely 1/4inch seam. The bindings go on just so and it all
looks neat and filled. I can also make furoshiki at no-time flat to
wrap presents with. Actually, it seems at the moment that I use the
serger more than my stright stitch.

Whatever you choose though, see if you can get a day's course in using
YOUR particular model. It makes a great difference to be taught and
shown what your machine can do, and then for you to do it yourself. A
good book is a necessity too, but a class makes all clear.

Oh, and two other things. Always check your stitch and tension before
you start on the real thing (it can be a real bummer to get that wrong
half way down the first side) and practise doing inside and outside
curves and corners. This last is quite difficult to do well (imo) and
is very frustrating when it goes awry. VERY!

Go play...

Nel (GQ)
Old July 30th 10, 01:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Do we really have to talk about sergers when my own is off to the serger
hospital? I look like the family dog waiting down at the school bus stop.
Oh woe is me. Polly

"Sartorresartus"

Old July 30th 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I've had the same Babylock serger for over 15 years, only having it serviced
once last year when I tried to serge over a pin!! I used to use it a lot
for clothing, but lately use it more for crafts, baby receiving blankets,
napkin edges, etc. I only use 3 thread and 4 thread. Mine is very basic,
and the only thing I sometimes wish it had is differential feed, although I
do OK without it. It doesn't replace a sewing machne, but it does come in
very handy at times.

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
"AuntK" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'm entertaining purchasing a serger. Not really sure why except that
I don't have one. I'm pretty sure it will be of the used variety as I
don't want to spend a bunch of $$$ at this point for something I'm not
sure I'll use all that much. I've been doing some looking on
craigslist and my local freecycle sites to no avail. So I went to
ebay just for kicks & giggles. Noticed there are many differences of
which I am clueless. There were anywhere from 3-5 threads and, of
course, the prices were all over the map. I'll probably end up and my
local machine shop (which is pretty good) to see what they have used
but I wanted to go in armed with some info. What value, if any, does
the greater number of threads have and is that what drives the price?
To get started, and anticipating doing smallish, not overly
complicated projects, do I need the greater number of threads, etc?
Even though I'm not being really clear here - I don't think - you
folks know what I'm trying to ask. Can anyone give me some hints or
clues? Tricks?

TIA
Kim in NJ

Old July 31st 10, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Aha! I've been very curious about those jet air threading sergers. Does
that mean you don't have to deal with upper looper/under looper and assorted
stuff? Polly

"Gen"
I just bought the Babylock Evolution 8 thread serger. Jet air threading.
Just set the dials to whatever function you want. No more having to fiddle
with switching back and forth for anything. Now to learn all its quirks.
I loved my Elna 905DCX, but it no longer will hold a tension, even after
being sent back to the factory for repairs. Guess it'll go to the thrift
shop.
Gen

Old July 31st 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Yep. Just put the end of the thread in the little hole for each looper and
push a button--whoosh, the loopers are threaded. Pearl Crown and
Candlelight metallic, etc. are too thick to feed this way, so they use the
old "tie on" to thread the loopers. It'll be a few days before I really get
to play with it. I'm on a cleaning kick-all my walls and shampooing all my
carpets. I truly must be nuts!
Gen

Old July 31st 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

If you will pardon me for saying so: Gen, you just must get your priorities
in order. A new tool and you're cleaning walls? Madness. Polly

Old July 31st 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I do like that feature on my new Babylock -- also the needle threader.
Although I must admit that the "tie on" threading worked well for me
most of the time.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old July 31st 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

wow that has to be a fancy machine. what are you going to make first? I
think you need to learn to like the dirty walls and carpets. (I bet they
aren't that dirty anyway)
Please report back on the machine when you get to it.
TAria

Omnistitch owners deatbird2 Sewing 11 June 26th 12 01:19 AM
Bernina owners Bonnie NJ Quilting 21 June 14th 07 03:24 PM
OT QI's and their owners~funny Terbear Quilting 6 May 22nd 05 03:40 AM
Serger Progect Book. 56 Great serger ideas! madhatress Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 01:48 AM