Argggggh!

Old July 28th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default Argggggh!

Taria, with the 6600 I found that I need to move my needle over a bit to the
right to get a perfect scant 1/4 in. seam allowance (use the adjustment for
the zig-zag width). Be sure to play with the adjustments or you'll end up
with an *exact* 1/4 in. seam and it won't work out very well.

The feed dogs work better with the foot at a true 1/4 in. and by moving the
needle, too. And that's with both the standard 1/4 in. foot and the
Accu-Feed 1/4 in. foot. Both of mine need a little tweaking.

Just a little head's up here. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Taria" wrote in message
Oh Sunny, You don't need that machine. YOu can do it.
I hate PP too. It seems to be one of those love it or leave it kind of
things. A Singer FW or a 301 are just about the best things for
precision piecing imo. My Brother 1500 is next favorite. I only choose
to piece on the 6600 is I don't have a lot to do or am in a hurry. I did
just get an order with a new quarter inch foot for it though. Maybe with
that I will be happier with the 6600 and piecing.
Keep plugging away. You can do it. Head up to that garden (shady spot or
umbrella?) with a book and take a break.
Taria
Taria
"Sunny" wrote in message
I hate paper piecing, especially when I'm brain-addled. But no other
way to get those sharp pointies for a sunburst. I'm waiting for the
sewing machine that will do difficult, precision stitching for you.
You know how bread machines work? Well I want a sewing machine like
that so when I'm frustrated with a difficult block I can just shove
the pieces of fabric into it, turn it on, and BINGO! out would come a
perfectly pieced block with points intact and seams exact. For that
machine, I would hock the household and take out a mortgage.

Sunny

Old July 28th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L. in MA[_2_]

Leslie& The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
Taria, with the 6600 I found that I need to move my needle over a bit to
the right to get a perfect scant 1/4 in. seam allowance (use the
adjustment for the zig-zag width). Be sure to play with the adjustments
or you'll end up with an *exact* 1/4 in. seam and it won't work out very
well.

Same here. 3.7 is my magic number mostly.

Rita

--
Rita L. in MA One Eyed Mutant Ninja Quilter :-)
Old July 28th 10, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

I love to use the pfaff 1/4" foot with side flange for all piecing -
everything always lines up and the points are the 'pointiest' when the
job is done. The foot costs about $25 and is worth every penny.
jennellh

On Jul 28, 4:32*pm, Sunny wrote:
I do need a break. And I do all my really precise piecing on my Pfaff
7570 -- maybe the finest little stitcher in the world. I love my 6600
for power jobs -- quilting and stitching through many layers and the
like. It's great for stitching paper and fabric concoctions. But PP is
just evil in my opinion. And I've royally messed this up.... Got to
start over and redo the whole shebang. When I went to put the halves
together, they nowhere near match up. Sigh.

Sunny
heading upstairs to eat some jello with cool whip on top

Old July 28th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

That's what is so funny about this. The guy is a wood worker, so he has
tools and machines, and . . . .

Donna in SW Idaho

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote in message
Show him some shop machine for the same price and he'd no doubt rave
about what a great bargain/deal it was.

Someone should drag him down to the LQS and show him one of the $12K
Bernina 830s (or equiv.)
Bring smelling salts/a defibrillator...

On the flipside, and giving the nod to equality, that old saying about
"the difference between men & boys is the price of their toys" is
increasingly applying to women & girls.

Doc

On Jul 28, 3:56 pm, "Donna in Idaho" wrote:
My friend bought a new sewing machine several years ago. She paid around
$600 for it - which her husband thought was an astronomical price to pay
for
a sewing machine! Since she paid so MUCH for the machine, he thought she
should be able to toss the fabric in the sewing room, close the door and
she
would come back to a completed whatever! If he only knew what the
top-of-the-line machines are going for now. :-)

Donna in SW Idaho

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5321 (20100728) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old July 29th 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I have a single hole foot for the Pfaff that is a perfect scant 1/4
inch. I also have the single hole throat plate. It's heavenly. No more
corners sucked down into the bobbin thread, no more ... lots of
things, LOL (the old brain is pretty well shot today). I like that
much better than sewing with the flanged 1/4 foot.

I also have to adjust the needle on my 6600 to get a good scant 1/4
inch. I still prefer the Pfaff for precision work. Just something
smoother about the way it stitches and moves the fabric along.

Sunny
Old July 29th 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Thanks Leslie. I know that stuff. : )
I just got the 'clear view quilting foot and guide set'
part# 200-449-001. It might be more to my liking.
I never use the accufeed foot for 1/4". Even when I
adjust it right (everytime I hav to refer to my notes for
the setting) I just don't enjoy it. The regular one I use occasionally.
Hopefully if I get some time to piece I can report back happier on the new
foot.
In the mean while you would appreciate me here finishing
up a new doggy bed for a friend's pooch. It is pretty cute.
Taria

Old July 29th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well it is (don't tell jeanne) LIME green fleece. It has the dogs name
stitched on it and is for a weenie dog so it is kind of small. My dogs have
huge beds since they are so much bigger. This new one seems just cute and
small, kind of puppy like for me. It is so soft and new.
Taria

Old July 29th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Do you have any idea how dirty that sounds?
(or would if Jon Stewart ever got 'hold of it...)

Old July 29th 10, 08:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I find using a 1/4 inch foot on my Bernie (180) that the feed dogs are
'outside' the foot, so they don't feed the fabric. Likewise when
using the zipper foot. What am I doing wrong?

My default is to use the generic feet or the walking foot and move the
needle. I am very confused about this and it never happened withmy
older Frister and Rossman machine. Actually it still doesn't, I'm
even tempted to sell the expensive one and revert to the old
workhorse, which is 35yrs old!

Suggestions?
Nel (GQ)