OT Malta part 2

Old November 14th 04, 10:48 PM
Shirley Shone

Default OT Malta part 2

Our Golden day dawned to brilliant sunshine and very warm.
After breakfast we opened our cards. We had 29 including a lovely one
from Margie. I set them all out in the bedroom.
We went and caught a bus to Senglea were we used to live. On arriving
there we went into the Church which was being rebuilt when we lived
there. It had been destroyed in the bombing. Although it was not of
our faith we went inside and sat at the front. We remembered our
wedding and our vows and gave silent thanks to God.
We left the church and walked down the stepped street were we used to
live, called St Lawrence Street,
We stopped at the door of the house were we first lived. There was a
man across the way who was renovating his house and we got to talking.
Apparently he was born there at the time we lived there, he knew our
landlord and his wife. An older lady came down the steps and she too
spoke to us. Apparently she and Mary the landlords wife were great
friends.

We carried on down to what used to be called The Barbary Coast. It used
to have bars from one end to the other. The sailors used to start at
one end and roll in and out of the bars. A previous visit there was one
bar left open called the Fellowship bar. The old lady remembered us.
Alas it was now a garage so I think she must have passed on. There was
one cafe but all the other bars were now garages for cars.

We walked along the length of the front and headed to the next street
were we used to live. I moved there to be in the same block of flats as
the woman I travelled out with.
When we lived there it was open and facing the harbour and DH's ship
used to tie up below our windows.
Now there had been more flats built in front of it and the view had
gone.

The flat we lived in had, had the shutters removed although they still
existed on the top flat. The windows had frosted glass in. I wished I
could have gone inside to have a look. We carried on with our walk along
to the gardens at the end of the point were we used to go swimming.
Also I used to take David for a walk most days.
It had been redone but some of the old crumbling stones were still
there. It has a small watch tower called a Vedette that looked out over
the Grand harbour. Built into it were stone models of an ear, eye and
nose. Said to be overlooking the harbour.

We both stood there and remembered the many happy hours we had spent
there, watching the ships come in and enjoying the sunshine.
We then walked back to the bus stop and returned to the hotel for lunch.
I rested in the afternoon and then visited the hairdresser to get my
hair washed.

We both got dressed up and I wore my Golden Wedding jewellery that I had
made.
We went to the Argyll restaurant for dinner a deux. We had a lovely
meal.

Afterwards we sat out on the balcony listening to the sounds of the sea
with traffic noise thrown in for good measure.

We enjoyed our special day together.

More tomorrow
Shirley

--
Shirley Shone
Old November 14th 04, 10:58 PM
susiegibson

wonderful revue!!!!
how are you doing today?? is your back ok????

--

susie gibson

http://www.reachone.com/sgibson/

---

Old November 14th 04, 11:13 PM
Shirley Shone

It is not quite so painful. Thanks for asking.
Love
Shirley

In message , susiegibson
writes

Old November 14th 04, 11:30 PM
Cheryl

Shirely

what a wonderful "trip back in time"

it's sad so much has changed, but you must have enjoyed reminiscing.
The Barbary Coast - sailors, and bars... ! how cool...you only see that in
books... I guess it has now
lost all it's "flavor "... garages - how mundane!! LOL

the tower with the "ear, eye and nose"
is quite something too.

sounds like you had a wonderful dinner too....
what a nice anniversary!

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old November 15th 04, 01:37 AM
Cheri2Star

We enjoyed our special day together.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. It sounds so lovely, I feel like I
was there. I'm greatly anticipating the rest of the trip.

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)

It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive - Bon Jovi
Old November 15th 04, 03:57 AM
susiegibson

welcome- am glad it is not as painfull!!!!
here's to hoping you are on the mend and up and at em real soon!!!!
smiles, susie

Old November 15th 04, 03:24 PM
Carol in SLC

We both stood there and remembered the many happy hours we had spent there,
watching the ships come in and enjoying the sunshine.

What a marvelous, special day you two had, Shirley.

Carol in SLC
Some of my stuff: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/karen.jpg
http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/katie.jpg
http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/oceansprite.jpg