babylock ellure or singer quantum futura

Old January 28th 05, 02:32 AM
Pat Scott

Default babylock ellure or singer quantum futura

I am buying a new sewing machine in the next couple of weeks. i have it
narrowed down to either the babylock ellure or the singer futura, ce200.
does anyone have either of these machines? i would love to hear opinions,
pros/cons etc.

tia,
Patricia

Old January 28th 05, 04:06 AM
Polly Esther

Once upon a time, ibm made the finest typewriters in the world and Singer
made the grandest sewing machine. "Once upon a time" was up until about
1961. I can heartily recommend Pfaff, Viking and of course, Bernina, new or
used.
The oldest Bernina in my sewing room still sells for what I paid for
her about 12 years ago. What does that tell you?
So does my Viking.
I couldn't sell the Pfaff. She got dropped on her head when we moved and
only stitches backwards. Polly

news

Old January 28th 05, 08:36 AM
Pati Cook

True. Patricia, welcome and tell us more about yourself, please. big
smile here

Personally I wouldn't have either of them. Had a Brother machine once
upon a time. I did manage to get stuff done on that machine but it was
often a struggle. With the newer Singers, it depends on which one and
where it was made. Most of them you would be better off without. (And
I was supposed to sell them at one time................. )
Some of the high end Singers are pretty good, but not the best for the
money.

All this is my opinion. Yours may vary. Be sure to test drive the
machines on your own fabrics, in combinations of things that you will
actually be sewing.

Good luck,
Pati, in Phx who loves her Viking/Husqvarna machines and is hoping that
they will come out with a longer arm/throat/bed machine soon.

Polly Esther wrote:

Once upon a time, ibm made the finest typewriters in the world and Singer
made the grandest sewing machine. "Once upon a time" was up until about
1961. I can heartily recommend Pfaff, Viking and of course, Bernina, new or
used.
The oldest Bernina in my sewing room still sells for what I paid for
her about 12 years ago. What does that tell you?
So does my Viking.
I couldn't sell the Pfaff. She got dropped on her head when we moved and
only stitches backwards. Polly

news

Old January 28th 05, 09:57 AM
Roberta Zollner

Never heard of Ellure -who makes it?
I own a newish Pfaff and 2 mature Singers from around 1950. All of these
machines sew perfectly and never give me a moment of grief. Before the
Pfaff, I had a Husqvarna, which was also a trouble-free machine.
Roberta in D

news

Old January 28th 05, 02:17 PM

I know modern Singers are crap. So stay away from that one. As for the
Ellure I can personally vouche heavily in its favor. I own the Babylock
Ellure. Have had it for year and a half about. It has gone through two
Christmases now with me (meaning I've used it heavily for craft item
gifts that time of year). I use it heavily all year, in fact. Runs more
and for longer than my sewing machine even. It is a real work horse.
Like all Babylock Embroidery machines it has the finest embroidery
stitch. I also swear (though I don't use it as a sewing machine as I
have a dedicated SM) that it has a finer stitch than my Bernina 153. It
has a nice amount of fancy stitches for a SM machine too. So as a SM
it's no slouch and as an Embroidery machine it isn't either. There are
more top of the line BL embroidery machines with more bells and
whistles, but the Ellure will do everything you need. And for the price
(and you should pay no higher than $999) you get the desirable 5x7
embroidery field rather than the super small 4x4. It is very easy to
use. Other than the materials you'll need (thread, stabilizers, etc.)
you are ready to start stitching.

Now in the future though to get the most out of your machine you'll
need a few things. More hoops, embroidery design editing software, and
a card reader/writer.

Invest in all the available hoops (use ebay as the stores are almost
double the price). There are 4. That way you can use the right hoop for
the size of the job. you always want tot use the smallest hoop you can
that will still hold the design. If I am remembering correctly only the
5x7 comes with the machine. You can get the smaller 4x4, the super
small size, and also the super larger sized one. You can still only
stitch a 5x7 field, but that one is long so if you are doing a long
stitch out, you stitch the first design, and then move the hoop to the
second set of holes to attach to you machine and then stich more out
before having to rehooop.

Skip any BL software that they might want to sell you. Way to expensive
and hard to use. When you are further along and may want edit
manipulate your own designs, you'll want to invest in the super priced
Embird. Most easy to use and best priced embroidery design editor. Tons
of support groups online too. If ever in the future you want to take a
crack at digitizing your own designs, there is a even better priced
digitizing plug in to Embird. But digitizing is harder and has a pretty
impressive learning curve. So don't invest in the digitizing part
anytime soon.

Also, you'll find that you want to use the millions of designs
available on the internet. Mainly because they are WAY better priced
than the cards on the market, and also because you can get a lot of
free designs too. You can buy single designs in most cases too,
eliminating buying a whole set for one design. But, to use these
designs you'll need a card reader/writer to transfer them from you
computer to your embroidery machine. I personally use the Vikant
reader/writer and card. I recommend this one as it to is very reasnably
priced holds a lot more designs than several of the other models. The
card can be written to and erased over and over.

I am not affiliated with any of the above, but want to weigh in with an
actual users point of view. If yiou have any questions please email me.

One last tip for the Ellure. When you thread it make sure the presser
foot is in the raised position. You'll get thread breaks and get very
frustrated. Ask me how I know!!!

Melissa in NJ
quiltngryhndlady at comcast dot net

Old January 28th 05, 02:31 PM

Someone told me that you can get it even cheaper than $999 in some
places. I thought $999 was base. So shop around!!!

Melissa in NJ

Old February 8th 05, 10:39 PM
golamuh

Hi Pat,
I have the BabyLock Ellure and have had for about a year and a half. I
have used it to make heavy flannel stadium coats for winter and
gorgeous very fine embroidery designs. It is a wonderful machine and I
enjoy using it over my Pfaff, Berninas, Brothers and Featherweight.
It is a workhorse and has been used from 15-40 hours each week for the
time I have owned it.
I have the BabyLock Pallette software with card and all. I love this
software and it is soooo easy to use. It is also supported by BabyLock
and the techs are just very helpful.
Hope you are happy with whatever your choice is. Singer just doens't
cut it any longer.