"Red" Work Embroidery

Old July 12th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default "Red" Work Embroidery

Kathy:
Thanks, I might try the second layer idea. BTW, I saw that quilt made up in
Paducah. The vendor allowed me to take a photo of his booth, and I made sure
to get the top of that quilt as the focus of the photo. It is so cute, but I
don't want to make a whole quilt. I should write to Crab Apple and ask about
buying a pattern for just the top portion. That would be a nice table
runner. PAT

"deschuit" wrote in message

I am doing a redwork using different white on whites. The pattern
designer suggested using white muslin behind the white on white. THe
pattern is by Crab Apple Hill and is the Winter Wonderland pattern. There
are snowmen and snowflakes so there is some traveling being done. I
thought the extra layer of fabric would make it harder to stitch but it
has not. I would recommend this method to everyone. Also I am not using
embroidery floss but 1-strand of Sulky 12 wt thread. The thread comes in
all colors.

Kathy in NH

Old July 12th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Polly:
I hadn't even thought of a subtle print. I don't even know what fusion or
dimple fabric is. Marble I do know. I am certainly willing to consider this
idea.

Now, you mention Kona Bay, but what I saw on the bolt was Kona Cotton and
Kona Muslin. (BTW: that was the sweetest muslin I've ever handled!) So, is
there a difference between the Kona and the Kona Bay?
Ta, PAT

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Are you positive that you want the absolutely solid plain muslin look?
You might want to audition one of the barely printed fabrics such as
fusion, dimples, marble, etc.
I know this isn't making your quest quicker but I looked back to what
was the favorite plain white - it was Kona Bay's - and came across rctq's
suggestions for almost not quite muslin.
And furthermore - do be sure that the chosen fabric is heavy enough to
hide a little bit of travelling. Sure you shouldn't travel a long
distance but you just have to move a little without ending at every little
stitch. Polly

Old July 12th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Connie:
Thanks for the info on Kona Snow. Joanne's did not have it but I can check
LQS.
PAT

"Connie Einarson" wrote in message
Hi again, Pat! I make quilts frequently with embroidery. I love
embroidering squares as a take-along project, too. My fabric of choice
is Kona Snow. My LQS recommended it for some quilts I was making with
30's repro fabric and when I did some embroidery squares on one of them,
I so loved the feel and look of it that I ordered a whole bolt of it.
It is not a stark white, more of a creamy, old timey white. I have
never had any trouble with seeing travelers through it, either.

Old July 12th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Judy:
Ouch, too bad about your difficulty with that muslin. Luckily, I learned on
the trial block not to use it. I'd like to say that the Kona Muslin had a
nice hand, unlike any other muslin. I have not used it yet though. NAYY.
PAT

"judyanna"
Not sure about the Kona cloth. I did my redwork in a terrible plain
muslin! I *wish* I had done the embroidery in an Aida, but I was half
way done before I realized this!

Judy from Mass

Old July 12th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

How does the fusible interfacing affect the needling? Do you need a larger
needle?
PAT

"Susan Torrens" wrote in message
I have done several Redwork projects. I usually use a WoW fabric as the
background. After reading info from several Australian designers who use
embroidery in their quilts, I have been using a light-weight fusible
interfacing on the back of the blocks. It doesn't change the hand of the
fabric very much, and helps with the thread show throughs as well. I have
heard that many people use a piece of muslin on the back, but I would be
worried about the layers slipping and puckering when I move my hoop. For
some of the smaller projects, I use a fat quarter of background fabric,
embroider, then cut the blocks apart after stitching.
I just finished the alphabet blocks from Bobby Socks Quilt Company
http://69.90.47.120/bobbysocksqc.com/freeredwork.htm

Old July 12th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

My note says Kona Bay and not just Kona. There's no LQS here so I can't go
compare them. It seems like our Leslie with the 4 furry guys was the expert
on that and she's busy with a new/old house. Don't know if she'll appear
here or not.
However - I am an expert on stains, spots and soil. If you'll look at
pictures of old Redwork, you'll probably notice that they don't maintain a
pristine appearance. Just seems to me that some sort of subtle background
might keep them looking nice a little while longer. Polly

"Pat in Virginia" I hadn't even thought of a subtle print. I don't even
know what fusion or
dimple fabric is. Marble I do know. I am certainly willing to consider
this idea.

Now, you mention Kona Bay, but what I saw on the bolt was Kona Cotton and
Kona Muslin. (BTW: that was the sweetest muslin I've ever handled!) So, is
there a difference between the Kona and the Kona Bay?
Ta, PAT

"Polly Esther" wrote Are you positive that you want the absolutely

Old July 12th 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default any color Embroidery

And furthermore on Redwork. Even if it's green.
Do bleed your embroidery thread to see if it's going to run. At least
remove the brand bands, soak it in a cup of water and let it dry on
something white.
Strip it. That means: cut it in handy lengths, place them out straight
on a towel and mist them with a little bit of starch. When dry, put them
back together with 2 going in one direction and one in the other. This
makes your stitches Gorgeous!
Change needles frequently or at least sharpen the one you love.
Wrap your hoop. Just plain old inch-wide strips of paper towels will
do. Wrap them around the smaller hoop. This will keep the hoop from
stressing the fabric.
Do take the embroidery out of the hoop when you're not stitching.
If you're going to do redwork, you might as well get the most bang
for your buck. Polly

Old July 12th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Not Polly, but this is something I was thinking needed to be discussed
a bit. G
Kona Bay and Kona are different very different. Kona Bay is a fairly
tightly woven, smooth fabric and is wonderful to use for piecing and
such. A lot of Kona Bay fabrics are Asian prints. Kona cotton is from
the Robert Kaufman company. It is a "thicker" fabric, not as tightly
woven and a bit less "sheer". Kona is great for embroidery, Kona Bay
may be a bit tight and a bit too "thin" to work as well.
Do cut your background pieces oversize and plan to trim to size just
before you sew them together. Kona can ravel a bit, even just sitting.
Both Kona by Kaufman and Kona Bay are good fabrics, but they are best
used for different things. G I would use Kona cotton as an applique
background, but not for any delicate applique pieces. Kona Bay is
great to use for those tiny applique parts and such. G

As for using Fusions or such, it depends on what effect you are going
for. VBG Personally, I like to use a much more subtle background for
embroidery, and think that a solid (or a light "marble" or "hand dye"
look) helps to set off the embroidery. Too much print in the
background, even a tone on tone, can "fight" for attention with the
embroidery.
YMMV. g
Muslins do vary in quality. I used RocLon muslin for my Dear Jane
quilt and it is great. But I also have gotten really cheap quality
muslins that I wouldn't use for anything that I expected to last. And
cost is not always the best way to determine quality. g

Best suggestion is probably to get some samples of possible
backgrounds and do a few test stitches, including a bit of traveling
to see how it looks. Then get lots of whatever you decide to use.

Have fun
Pati, in Phx

Old July 12th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Wonderful! When I don't know what I'm talking about, Pati does. How great
is that? Thank you, Pati. Polly

"Pati, in Phx" wroteNot Polly, but this is something I was thinking needed

Old July 12th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

You're welcome,Polly. Although I have a feeling that it isn't often
that you don't know what you are talking about. G
When the mood strikes I can discourse at length on most any textile
related subject. If it bothers anyone, skip the messages. VBG The
"teacher" shows up at any time, but I do try to control that aspect
some.

Have fun,
and stay cool. (We are in the midst of an extreme heat advisory....
started Sat. morning early and may end tonight late. Even the dry heat
is hot when it is 110°F plus, and 105° at 10PM. sigh........ but we
don't have to shovel it......

Pati, in Phx