OT - Stress Producers

Old January 7th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Default OT - Stress Producers

You might remember that right before Christmas, I called 911 for an
ambulance to take my DH to the hospital with chest pains. After being
released, and taking a stress test a couple days later, he had an
appointment with the cardiologist today. Off he went for a 7:45 am
appointment armed with lots of questions. Next thing, I get a phone call
from him saying that the Dr. wants him to go to the hospital for cardiac
catheterization. The Dr. was 99% sure that there was no problem, but wanted
to make sure.

We are leaving next Tuesday for a 23 day vacation/cruise/tour of New Zealand
and Australia. Of course, we were worried about the effects this long trip,
and long flights might have.

So after a VERY long day, he finally got the procedure done around 4:30.
The news is wonderful! No problems could be found. The bypasses he had
done in 2000, and the stents he had inserted in 2004 are all functioning
well, and they couldn't find any further problems! Yeah!! We left the
hospital at 7:30, had some soup when we got home, and he is now resting.

His 96 year old aunt is in her final days. She had no children, and we've
always made her a part of our family, and more recently, we've assumed
responsibility for her care. She's in a nursing home just 10 minutes from
us. It's so sad to see someone who was so smart and "with it" reduced to
someone who babbles about anything or nothing! Her heart and lungs are now
failing, so soon she will go to her resting place.

Also, our 20 month old grandson has some kind of virus with a temperature
and must be given inhaler treatments 3 times a day. Poor kid has been
suffering from reoccurring ear infections, and is supposed to have tubes
inserted next Monday.

So, with all this going on, I'm trying to figure out what to pack, take care
of newspaper and mail delivery stops, etc. etc. I NEED a vacation!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old January 7th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Great news about your DH! Sorry about your aunt... 96 years is a very long
life. When her time comes, may she pass quietly and peacefully. and I hope
your DGS is up and about very soon!!!

Enjoy your trip -- sounds well earned!

--
Kate in MI

Old January 7th 10, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Well, my golly, Alice! Other than that?
We're just so proud and pleased about your DH's good cardio news. Oh
my, how wonderful.
I reckon all of us need to be telling you things to remember before you
leave the house since you probably don't exactly have your wits about you.
The important one I can think of is: turn Off the water supply to your
house so if something goes crazy like the ice maker or the washing machine,
it won't have much to mess with.
Okay, quilters. What else does Alice need to be sure she's handled?
Polly

Old January 7th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

When the Dr. came out to talk to me after DH's procedure, he suggested that
we both go home and have a beer! I thought that was funny, and such a
relief along with his good news of the results. Now I feel like I can
concentrate on the trip.

Packing is a little tricky because we're leaving from Phila. where it's been
below freezing for days and days, going to summer-time temps, two formal
nights on the ship, and temps over 100 in the interior of Australia! I'm
trying to stay to a minimum. One long skirt, two dressy tops, two pair of
slacks, one pair of jeans, two pair of capris, two pair of shorts, various
tops, a hoody, an all-weather jacket, swimsuit, sandals, sneakers, dressy
heels. I've got color-coordinated "piles" of clothes all layed out on the
spare bed. I'll probably change the piles several times before they
actually go in the suitcases.

Thanks for the suggestions about the water. We also plan to disconnect the
water softener, turn down the heat, and put some timers on a couple inside
lamps, so they'll come on at night. I guess I should have one near my stash
to scare away intruders!

I also bought bug spray, and would you believe that our WalMart Super Store
has no sunscreen? You'd think they'd have some this time of year for
skiiers. I'll have to get that at the drug store. I also need a 220 cord
for the battery charger for my Nikon camera. The charger will handle 110 or
220, but the website says the cord may overheat. I doubt that I'll find
that here; will have to wait until we arrive in Auckland. We have two extra
days there before we board our ship, the Diamond Princess for a 12 day
cruise.

Old January 7th 10, 06:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Great to hear that DH is okay

Where abouts in Australia are you going ?
It is 'the wet' up north so from what I have read midges and mossies are
just as much of a problem as flies.
If you let me know I may be able to offer some advise.

Dee in Oz

Old January 7th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I am so glad to hear your news about your dh. You have been
through a lot. The vacation sounds like a great idea.
96 is a great go at this life.
Hope the grandbaby will be fine.
Have a great trip!
Taria

Old January 7th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Alice in PA" wrote:

[...]

Alice, I hope the vacation you're planning is just what you need! That's
great news about your DH -- all the more reason to celebrate with your
cruise. Best wishes that your aunt has an easy time and that your DGS
finds relief from his pain.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 8th 10, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

In Australia, we visit Melbourne and Sydney while still on the ship. Then
we go to Cairns, Ayers Rock, Alice Springs and the Great Barrier Reef, and
then back to Sydney. I'm guessing that midges and mossies are similar to
what we call knats? Any help will be appreciated!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
. au...

Old January 8th 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

I am about 4 hours west of Melbourne.

This time of year the temperature in Melbourne and Sydney will range from
30-40 deg ( 86-104 F).
Cairns I have never been near but at the moment it is 86 deg F 62% humidity.
Alice Springs is currently 80 degF and humidity 76%, but they have just had
a lot of rain in the last 24 hours with more expected in the next couple of
days.
One highway has been closed. This is not normal for this time of the year
but Central Australia has just recently copped the after effects of a
cyclone that was in Western Australia.

Midges are a small biting insect and Mossies are mosquitoes. We use
"Bushmans' bug spray when we head 'up north' but a lot of people take Vit B
a couple of days beforehand and continue to
take it while in the area and this seems to be a good deterent to the
mosquitoes. A fly net looks silly but they are fantastic. (range in price
from $2 to about $20)
http://nofliesnets.com/hatnets.html This shows what I mean.

Have I covered everything ?
let me know if you have any more questions?

Dee in Oz

"Alice in PA" wrote in message
[...]

OT - Stress Relief Sherry Starr[_3_] Quilting 7 June 14th 08 02:08 AM
Hand Embroideries for Veils, Bridal and Eveningwear, Trimmings - Exporters/Producers Ashok Agarwal Marketplace 0 June 15th 04 06:05 PM
OT Stress Test Debbie B Beads 12 March 12th 04 04:26 PM
OT - Stress Test QuiltShopHopper Quilting 6 March 6th 04 12:44 AM
OT - Stress management Kathy Applebaum Quilting 3 October 15th 03 04:59 AM