Your thoughts on Christmas tree skirts?

Old January 6th 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Your thoughts on Christmas tree skirts?

Between the wedding and Christmas goings on, I never did wrap gifts; just
sacked them and handed them out. That was okay. The traffic coming through
all seemed to admire the barren Christmas tree skirt and begged for one.
So. I would like to make four before Dec 1st.
Here's ambivalence at its finest. Christmas tree skirts are usually
covered up so there's no need for fine creations. OTOH, they are always kept
and used forever so they really should be very nice.
Any thoughts? Made one? Want to show us? Any suggestions or advice?
Or are you busy keeping warm and had enough holiday for a while? Polly

Old January 6th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

My boys were the rascals who always peeked at their gifts, so only a few
gifts for family were under my tree- until Santa made his delivery on
Christmas Eve. That continued for as long as a son lived at home so my tree
skirt was always visible. Before I became a quilter I had a skirt that was
purchased and pretty much a red felt circle.

Very early in my quilting career I made one for each of my two sons plus I
had a pretty one that got stained when we had a plumbing leak in the attic.
One was 8 repeated sections with a PFP angel in each section- I designed
the angel with a gold lame' halo, a cream colored gown with a swirly
metallic gold on cream for the wings and a muted red and green print for the
background.

One had a PFP scrappy green Christmas tree in each section- most of the
pieces of the tree were diamond shaped and on a slant so it was quite unique
and pretty. Most of the green fabrics had bits of red and metallic gold in
the print and the background was navy blue with scattered metallic gold
stars. That pattern I developed from a PFP tree block in a quilt magazine.

And mine was crazy quilted in eight sections- all in various cream colored
tone-on-tone fabrics with gold threads and trims... until the wet red felt
oozed on it.

Now I bunch up three yards of a mostly green Christmas print fabric and
smoosh it around under the tree- when I put up the tree. This year I didn't
have one because I was invited to Christmas with family rather than hosting.
;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.
..

Old January 6th 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I have an old one I made maybe 25 years ago. 4" squares with
lace around the edge. Looks ok but I'm ready for something new.
I washed that one yesterday and was thinking I need to update.
I was thinking too that skirts would be great gifts for next year.
Last year I did buy a stencil for a whole cloth quilted tree skirt
but that was as far as I got. I think I would like to make something
more snazzy for the kids. Any great pattern ideas would be appreciated here
too. Not much of presents under the tree here until santa brings them on
Christmas eve. I believe.
Taria

Old January 6th 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Last one I made was basically a humonguous Ohio Star, except the 4
corners were triangles to make an 8-sided skirt. Slice up one side,
cut a circle in the middle for the tree. "Birth" the whole thing,
leaving the center circle open. Turn RSO, press, do some fancy FMQ on
your extensive areas of open space (the 8 triangle sections around the
edge, for example, plus maybe an outline of the star points), then
bind the center, leaving long enough strings at each end to tie in a
bow. Add more ties if you think it necessary.
Sorry, can't find a photo, and it's long gone.
Roberta in D

Old January 6th 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

I have not made one but I'm of the school of thought that they are used
for many years they should be nice. I took me a couple of years to buy a
really nice one at half price. It's on my list to do one day. Along with
personalized stockings for my girls. Plus another xmas panel quilt.
Maybe I'll get to them by next xmas.Can't wait to see what you come up
with.
Joanna
Ok I guess I have one suggestion. I've seen a crazy quilt type done and
it was wonderful except I felt it was missing something. The ring of
white fur around the edge. I've seen many homemade tree shirts and to me
that's all that's missing.

Old January 6th 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

Between the wedding and Christmas goings on, I never did wrap gifts; just
sacked them and handed them out. That was okay. The traffic coming through
all seemed to admire the barren Christmas tree skirt and begged for one.
So. I would like to make four before Dec 1st.
Here's ambivalence at its finest. Christmas tree skirts are usually
covered up so there's no need for fine creations. OTOH, they are always kept
and used forever so they really should be very nice.
Any thoughts? Made one? Want to show us? Any suggestions or advice?
Or are you busy keeping warm and had enough holiday for a while? Polly

I made two tree skirts for my DDs a few years back -- the easiest I
think I've ever seen, and quite spectacular to see under the tree. Pics
are he http://www.sandymike.net/html/christmas.html#skirts2. If I
tell you these were made from an Eleanor Burns pattern, you'll
understand how easy they were G; they came from her Christmas at
Bear's Paw Ranch book.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 6th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jan 6, 9:46*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Between the wedding and Christmas goings on, I never did wrap gifts; just
sacked them and handed them out. *That was okay. *The traffic coming through
all seemed to admire the barren Christmas tree skirt and begged for one.
So. *I would like to make four before Dec 1st.
* * Here's ambivalence at its finest. *Christmas tree skirts are usually
covered up so there's no need for fine creations. OTOH, they are always kept
and used forever so they really should be very nice.
* * Any thoughts? *Made one? *Want to show us? *Any suggestions or advice?
Or are you busy keeping warm and had enough holiday for a while? * Polly

Mine is green felt with white rick-rack around the edges and about 7
buttons holding the slit together, But Velcro could be substituted if
that is your preference. I made it about 10 years ago and it is still
going strong.

John
Old January 6th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Polly Esther wrote:
Between the wedding and Christmas goings on, I never did wrap gifts;
just sacked them and handed them out. That was okay. The traffic
coming through all seemed to admire the barren Christmas tree skirt and
begged for one. So. I would like to make four before Dec 1st.
Here's ambivalence at its finest. Christmas tree skirts are usually
covered up so there's no need for fine creations. OTOH, they are always
kept and used forever so they really should be very nice.
Any thoughts? Made one? Want to show us? Any suggestions or
advice? Or are you busy keeping warm and had enough holiday for a
while? Polly

As John posted, mine is also made of felt. It is 72" diameter with
about 12 scallops around the edge. I made a cut up one side and cut a
hole to accommodate the tree trunk. I added velcro "buttons" for
closure and sewed r/w/g metallic trimmed lace around the outer scalloped
edge and around the hole for the trunk. I like a bit of fancy but don't
want mine too fancy. it is covered by gifts before, during & after the
holiday AND it is used under a fresh tree. This means there are water
issues, tree sap issues, and cats sleeping under the tree amongst the
presents issues so you can imagine what happens to my tree skirt.
The one I made for the SMDGD that is used under the family tree is
the same size as mine. Each year hers has two 6" diameter counted cross
designs sewn to a scalloped section -- I stitch one and the EvilMIL
stitches the other. DD has another skirt -- same size with the scallops
and trimmed similar to mine. She's like me and always have presents
under the tree ASAP once the decorations are up and then they are left
under the tree until someone gets enough energy to clear them out and
get them put away -- LOL! Pictures of the SMDGD's tree skirt are at my
Webshots Needlework album. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old January 6th 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

You can see mine that I made about 30 years ago at
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/ChristmasTree2003.JPG. It's just
3" squares (finished size)of red, green, blue, and yellow calico prints
sewn together, leaving open in the back, and cut into a circle, with a
smaller circle in the center. I added a green & white polka dot ruffle
around the outside. It's backed with a piece of an old sheet & has poly
batting. I think I layered it, stitched around the outside and then
birthed through the center hole. I tied at the intersections of the
blocks with red yarn and bound the center hole. I did this long before I
ever did much quilting, so it's pretty basic. I've thought about making
a more elaborate one, but it's usually covered with gifts anyhow, so
have not bothered.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old January 6th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I'm enjoying this - whether you're bragging or confessing. I don't think I
told you about my 'down the lane' neighbor. In the middle of it all, she
was having new kitchen cabinets installed. In emptying her old cabinets
(groan), she discovered a set of dishes. Ugly dishes. Really ugly. She
didn't remember where they came from. Didn't want to put them in the new
cabinets. So! She gift wrapped the dishes and put them under her tree.
We'll have to wait until next Christmas to see if that was a permanent
solution. Polly

"Tia Mary" As John posted, mine is also made of felt. It is 72"