Home diamond identification?

Old August 13th 04, 03:53 AM
~Candace~

Default Home diamond identification?

So, I have what appears to be a 2 carat, round brilliant cut, no vivsble to
the naked eye inclusions, cuts glass, doesn't let light pass through,
diamond. The facets are correct, and I need some info!

Is there any other way I can tell what this is? Without going to a jeweler?

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old August 13th 04, 04:46 AM
Cheryl

So, I have what appears to be a 2 carat, round brilliant cut, no vivsble to
the naked eye inclusions, cuts glass, doesn't let light pass through,
diamond. The facets are correct, and I need some info!

well - that still doesn't prove it is a natural diamond.... sadly..
Some of the newer "fake" diamonds will also cut glass.
Probably the ONLY way to determine if it is a real diamond - is to take it to a
certified gemologist.... for testing.

A 2 carat diamond, flawless, would be worth a small fortune -- a 2 carat with
flaws (you can't see them with the naked eye - you need a magnifier) could also
be worth 1/10th of the value of one of better quality.
What color is it??? don't say "white" or clear - unless you know. Try putting
it in a bowl of sugar -- how white is it???
so how did you come by this "gem" ????

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old August 13th 04, 05:35 AM
~Candace~

Adam found it at the laundromat this evening. He actually pried it out of
the dryer, thinking it was one of my S. crystals. HA! We're going to call
the place tomorrow and ask them to give our number to anyone who reports
missing jewelry, so they can call and I.D. this.

I know absolutely nothing about diamonds except that my engagement ring has
a combined weight of 1/4ct. I put it in a bowl of sugar, and didn't know
what I was looking for. Can you help me out with that one?

The biggest strike against this stone being a natural diamond is where it
was found. Why on earth would someone be doing their laundry at the
laundromat if they can afford a $20,000 diamond, yanno?

Old August 13th 04, 06:46 AM
Cheryl

a combined weight of 1/4ct. I put it in a bowl of sugar, and didn't know
what I was looking for. Can you help me out with that one?

color -- compared to the sugar....
what COLOR is it....

the stones known as Mossanite and "russian brilliants" will cut glass just
like a diamond -- the also tend to be almost TOO PERFECT-- i.e. colorless and
sparkly --

Out of the DRYER --????
gads -- I can't imagine someone drying clothing with a piece of jewelry big
enough for a stone like that... it would have been clanking around... LOL

Then - again - I was thinking - it is very POSSIBLE that a woman - reaching
into the dryer - knocked the stone loose while removing clothing. My mother
accidentally knocked a 1/2 carat stone out of ring in the shower... and didn't
realize it until she got out of the shower... stone was gone....
IF it is a real diamond -- someone is really, really unhappy right about now...

..

Old August 13th 04, 07:04 AM
~Candace~

Well, it was a heck of lot clearer than the sugar. It may have had a tinge
of yellow to it.

Since I fully expect it to go off to it's owner (not that I wouldn't love to
sell it myself and get the heck out of Missouri!) I'd just like to know if
I briefly held a whopper of a diamond.

.

Old August 13th 04, 07:55 AM
~Candace~

I actually sorta befriended a pawnshop owner last year. hhhmmm...maybe I'll
swing by there on Saturday. Thanks!

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:53:12 -0400, Candace~ wrote
(in message ) :

So, I have what appears to be a 2 carat, round brilliant cut, no vivsble

the naked eye inclusions, cuts glass, doesn't let light pass through,
diamond. The facets are correct, and I need some info!

Is there any other way I can tell what this is? Without going to a

jeweler?

Go to a jeweler. Or a pawn shop. Really. They can put the diamond
tester on it (like a teeny little taser for diamonds) and identify
the stone in two seconds. Shouldn't cost you anything, if you're a
friendly type and go in when it's not busy.

Kathy N-V

Old August 13th 04, 08:06 AM
~Candace~

Okay, point. Having never owned a washing machine or a dryer, I'd not
thought of that obvious fact--they do break! lol. (BTW, after this
weekend, we'll be the proud new owners of a set, woohoo!)

I bet it ain't real. But a girl can dream of having held such a prize,
right?

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 0:35:06 -0400, Candace~ wrote
(in message ):

The biggest strike against this stone being a natural diamond is where

it
was found. Why on earth would someone be doing their laundry at the
laundromat if they can afford a $20,000 diamond, yanno?

Because their washing machine broke, silly. I have a relative who
has many times that amount in individual pieces of jewelry, and she
goes to the laundrymat now and again. Heck, when the laundry gets
outta control here, Bob goes to the laundrymat and does ten loads at
once. I could easily see a very nice piece of jewelry getting caught
up in the confusion. (Not that I have $20K diamonds kicking around,
but I do have some very nice stuff that I wouldn't want to lose)

I'd betcha a buck it's Moisannite or one of the CZs. All the big
diamonds I've seen lately have been flawed out the yazoo, and only
the synthetic stuff looks great.

Kathy N-V

Old August 13th 04, 12:49 PM
Cheryl

Or a pawn shop. Really.

Duh - now THERE is an idea I had not thought of.....
take it to a pawn shop ---
don't tell them you think it is fake (they will then tell you yes...)

just ask them what it's worth.... LOL

Old August 13th 04, 02:49 PM
Deborah Barilleaux

Candace,
Move to New Mexico. There are all kinds of help out here. I was lucky to
raise my kids here. And it's not too expensive to live. And we have many
different call centers to work for plus other companies.
grin
--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short
m...

Old August 13th 04, 07:57 PM
~Candace~

Also a good point, Tina, thank you.

I called the laundromat this morning and gave them my number for anyone to
call if they report missing jewelry.
The lady I spoke with is one of the owners (her and her husband own it and
work it) and she reminded me of the very prominent signs stating they are
not responsible for lost or damaged property. Oh that evil woman. lolol!

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
All those would be characteristic of a CZ too, especially the better

quality
ones.

But as far as the laundromat thing goes, someone with a diamond ring could
be traveling. And I know here in Fairbanks, people are out of town need

have water delivered or put in wells. To do laundry at home I'd need
$20,000 to 30, even $35,000, for well, improved septic etc, and I might
still have arsenic, rust etc in the water requiring treatment, or further
requirements or the septic. My house is worth at least $150,000 (and

others
without wells run well over $250,00), but that expenditure would not
increase the price of the house by that much. I don't plan to do laundry

at
this house ever.

Tina

m...

"Cheryl" wrote in message

[...]

OT and some On Topic - I'm home and more updates Kandice Seeber Beads 3 August 10th 04 02:44 AM
Home at Last! Karen_AZ Beads 11 December 29th 03 08:48 PM
She's Home!!! mkahogan Beads 4 August 7th 03 05:47 PM
ad>...home tweet home...tatercat tatercat Beads 4 July 19th 03 02:34 PM