Possible masking methods/materials

Old November 25th 05, 10:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Possible masking methods/materials

Hi folks,

[[ I have posted this message to other groups - nothing specific to glass
craft but perhaps somebody in here is using a similar method on glass and is
able to advise. Thanks for reading. ]]

I am investigating methods of producing jewellery pieces displaying
fairly detailed designs.

Preferably I would like to produce the images (gold on silver background)
using electroplating/electroforming. Alternatively and perhaps in addition
I may apply the designs on the silver using acid etch. The designs I have
in mind will be fairly detailed and small (perhaps 1 inch by 1.5 inches and
smaller in some cases). I would need to cover the silver sheet material
in some sort of mask and then reveal the areas that I want to mark/plate
(the design).

I had thought that nowadays there may be some masking
material that could first be printed using a PC printer/laser printer and
then transferred to the silver sheet and the printed area peeled
off - that sort of thing.

Does anybody know if such a thing exists or not or know of any alternative
methods.

Any and all suggestions very welcome.

Neil

Old November 25th 05, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

You could look at http://www.megauk.com under artwork aids are various
products for making masks with laser or inkjet printers. You can get
aerosol resist from people like RS www.rswww.com, farnell and maybe mega
which you can spray on yourself.

Maplin have an iron on product ( Press-n-Peel PCB Transfer System) which
you print with a laser
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...464&doy=25m11D

Old November 26th 05, 11:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"neilr" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks to all who offered advice. I have experience of screen printing
so I'm familiar with the general method but only in combination with a
screen. I'd been googling for terms such as 'masking film', 'photo
sensitive emulsion' etc. 'Photoresist' was what I was looking for and now
have a choice of a good few. I think I'm going to try the 'Press-n-peel'
printed circuit board resist from Maplin - fingers crossed.

Many thanks again,
Neil