What do you like/don't you like about quilting?

Old January 29th 05, 11:38 AM
Valerie in FL

I love reviewing the pattern permutations in EQ5. Hate having to choose just
one pattern.
Love choosing fabric; hate cutting the pattern pieces.
Love speed piecing and getting points to match; hate pin basting the quilt
sandwich.
Love attaching the borders; hate machine quilting in the ditch (it's just so
boring, and I'm not capable of free-motion yet.)
Love handquilting; hate marking the quilt for handquilting.
Love attaching the binding, both the first part with the machine and hand
stitching it to the back.
Love contemplating my next quilt!!

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

"nana2b" wrote in message
I love the fabric buying, cutting out the pieces and seeing the blocks
come to life. The part I really hated was getting on the floor and pin
basting the quilt. I also did not like the wresting match with the SM to
quilt the quilt. Now that I have the Mid Arm, I really look forward the
quilting part. Last but not least I love to hand stitch the binding down
after stitching the first part on the machine. That is when the quilt
truly gets filled with love. The label will say it all.

Linda in Tx

Old January 29th 05, 12:07 PM
Karen Johnson

Sandy,

I HATE ripping out seams.

All the rest of it is great fun for me. Every single step is a step
closer to seeing what it'll look like when it's finished, and it's
always such an adventure to see the finished quilt! It's never 100%
the way I thought it would be. I never know for certain what I've got
until the last bit of binding is on, I can step back and say, "Oh,
yeah! That's what it looks like!"

I love deciding what quilt/pattern(s) I want to use next. I love looking
at and deciding upon fabrics. I'm not crazy about cutting. I love
piecing and don't mind pressing, except in the summer when it's too hot
to want the iron heating up my room. I don't like sandwiching and
basting, nor do I like agonizing over how I'm going to quilt a piece.
However, I love quilting it, and I even like binding it and attaching
the label.

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old January 29th 05, 02:27 PM
Louise

You too? I seldom fix the same dish twice -- at least not exactly the same!
Once in a while I find something that's really great and it gets repeated,
but generally I'm looking to fix something new and different. I couldn't
live without allrecipes.com (okay, I could live without it, but it wouldn't
be as much fun!).

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
k.net...
I love to cook!! Just don't expect me to exactly repeat a dish. G

Pati, in Phx

Betty in Wi wrote:

We need to form a commune!!! We could each do what we like. I see a
booming busines!! I bet some of us even like to cook and clean.

Betty in WI

"Jalynne" wrote in message
nk.net...

If I could skip the cutting and piecing, the whole quilting process would
be perfect. OOOOH, that's what wholecloth quilts are for. The part I
love doing most is getting a whole bunch of donated blocks and setting
them into a HUG quilt.

--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

""Pussywillow" Volfie" wrote in message

I was piecing a block today and it occured to me that there are very
specific parts of building a quilt that I like and very specific parts I
don't like (or don't like as much).

I like looking at patterns and designs and dreaming up quilts.
I like finding, buying, washing, ironing, cutting the fabric.
I like cutting out stuff I can cut with a rotary cutter.
I like working with patterns and putting the pieces together for sewing.

I'm not so wild about the sewing part.

I like trimming the sewn pieces to make them square.
I like ironing them open.
I like pining those pieces together for the next stage.

Then I'm back to the sewing which I don't like so much.

Once the whole top is assembled, I've pretty much hit my "I like"
limits.

I don't like sandwiching the layers together.
I don't like basting.
I don't like quilting although if someone does all the other steps for
me, I
will stipple my brains out -- the only quilting I love, love, LOVE to
do.
I don't like putting on the binding.

I DO love looking at the finished quilt.

Now if I could just find a partner who likes doing the parts I hate, I
could
make a quilt about every other day or so.

Old January 29th 05, 03:14 PM
Denise G.

Well, they weren't really mistakes, they came out great, but just not my
style of decorating. For example, I made a really cute fish and seaweed
quilt with prairie points, but I don't have a child's room to put it in.
I made a cream and peach Irish Chain but it's too nice to put on my bed
because of the QIs. I made a nice blue and yellow Churn Dash, but blue
is my least favorite color, so it won't match anything in my house. I
love putting colors together, but they aren't actually going to live in
this house when they're done. They live in the big Tupperware box under
the work station. Some day the perfect recipients will be found for
each. I run a food pantry and a couple quilts have already found new
homes with my clients. I think the Irish Chain will be a wedding gift to
DS if and when he ever finds the right girl, he's 27 and still looking.
He's 6' tall, college degree, muscular, it's gotta happen pretty soon,
right?

Denise in NH
Has anyone offered to take those painful reminders of your mistaken
fabric choices off your hands yet? *sigh* Okay, *I'LL* do it.
Giselle (email me for snail mail addy
Ooooh, Giselle! That was a *good* beg! Very sneaky and worked in quite
well! You're learning *way* too quickly.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

Old January 29th 05, 04:23 PM
Louise

Denise, would you consider sending your DS to Iowa? I have a niece who's the
right age and looking -- and she likes quits (in fact, when she was three or
four, I made her a yellow and white Irish chain with hearts appliquéd in the
white spaces).

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old January 29th 05, 04:41 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

But, but . . . I didn't mean to get you all weepy. Just sharing some very
truly joyous feelings. Gay, even. Does that mean I have to come out of the
closet? Polly

"Diana Curtis" wrote:

Sniff.
Best answer award goes to.. this post...

Sandy wrote .... . wiping my eyes

Don't worry, Polly! They were sentimental tears, not sad ones. And
yes, please do come out of that closet. I trust it's the one with your
stash and that I can sneak in while your back is turned to get me a
tissue?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old January 29th 05, 05:07 PM
Diana Curtis

OOhhh.. would you get me a 'tissue' too, please? Ummm.. some of the pretty
white with roses on it please... and that coordinating solid pink... some of
the leaf green?...
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 29th 05, 05:30 PM
NanaV

I have a wonderful 27 year old son also. He wants to stay in the NY area
though. He works in NYC (at a good, high-paying job) and has his own
business on the side as well (please note: hard working, initiative). He is
"easy on the eyes" as they say. Works out regularly and is a wonderful cook
(specializes in Indian and Italian foods). He is handy and can fix ANYTHING
(takes after his Dad). He loves his family and is good to old people and
animals. If how he is with his niece any indicator, he'll be a wonderful
father. And he also loves quilts and respects those that make them.

Maybe we need to start matching up our family members. You know RCTQDS -
RCTQ Dating Services?

Nana

Old January 29th 05, 05:43 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
But, but,... but Denise! Do the quilts *have* to match
your house? Why?!!!??

Ragmop/Sandy

Old January 29th 05, 05:45 PM
Butterfly

Add DS, 29 on Feb 27, Compie Guru and IT; and DD, 27, pilot, pilot
instructor and authoress of pilotbooks, on Mar 19........
Butterfly