Question for all new Mommies

Old November 13th 03, 04:20 AM
Lisa C

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...
From: "QuiltShopHopper"

is special baby wash really better than just bar soap?

DD says YES with great emphasis -- LOL!! Little Raechel *loves*

have a bath and the best part is having mommy wipe the nice slippery soap

all
over her. She giggles and laughs and splashes her arms and legs! DD said

she
ran out of the baby wash and used bar soap and it just wasn't the same for

the
baby!

is Dreft really better laundry soap than any other?

Another resounding YES on this one. Newborns have such

sensitive
skin that just about *anything* can irritate it! When I got all the stuff

for
the baby at the garage sale, I made sure I rinsed it about three times to

make
sure all the soap was out because all I had was Tide! Raechel must have
*really* sensative skin because DD can't use dryer sheets or *any* type of
fabric softener in the baby's wash. The kiddo always gets a funky rash

from
it!
You have gotten loads of great ideas from everyone *except* for what

DD
thinks is THE best thing every!!! It's one of those Shopping Cart seat

covers!
They are horrendously expensive if you buy them in the store and are
unbelievably easy to make! I bought a pattern online and made one for the

baby
in just a few hours. think about taking a little one to the grocery store

and
plonking her in that cart. What's the first thing the kid will do???

Yep --
try to eat the handle and anything else she can get in her mouth! YUCK --

all
theose nasty germs!!! Now I am not a germ fanatic but letting a little

one put
her mouth on the handle of a grocery cart is wayyyyyy to gross for me!!!

So,
my additional recommendation is for you to make -- IF POSSIBLE -- one of

the
shopping cart seat covers! It does take about 2 1/2 yards of fabric but

it can
be el cheapo fabric so that doesn't have to be a big expense. CiaoMeow
^;;^
.

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties

their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

What pattern did you use for the shopping cart thingy? I did a Google
search, and found more than one. I wanted to make one for my new grandson to
be.

Old November 13th 03, 04:24 AM
Lisa C

From: CNYstitcher

Do you remember where you got the pattern???

Yep -- sure do. Here's the link for the Shopping Cart Seat Cover
http://www.allysgoodies.com . Not sure exactly what I paid for it but

it was
less than $15. I *think* I got it on eBay but I'm not sure.

Hmmm.
Seems the pattern is no longer available... just the cover itself.

It's a very simple pattern too! Just two big pieces of fabric as long

as
the width of the fabric off the bolt. You need seam binding to enclose

the leg
holes. I used it around the outer edge (for the elastic) but the pattern
calls for a casing I think. There is also an 18" square piece of poly

batting
stitched in where the kiddo's little tush will be. I wanted the whole

thing to
be quilted so I used some of my leftover tacky poly batting and quilted

the
whole thing in addition to that 18" piece. CiaoMeow ^;;^
.

Old November 13th 03, 10:43 AM
A Joy in Hawaii

"nzl*" wrote in message ...
did i read somewhere loooooong looooooong time ago that mineral oil is
absorbed into the blood stream and can deplete you of some essential vitamin
or other nutrient, thereby causing other problems.
i'd think it might also cause some bowel problems, eeeeeeeek.
i squirted breastmilk right on any diaper rash or in babys eye if the get
conjunctivitis. its the right ph for your baby.
works a treat. looks sorta funny thing to be doing but hey it worked.
jeanne
B/F three kids for a collective total of 3 yrs.

MY HEROINE!

A Joy in Hawaii (anyone need a squirt? just kidding...Jacob won't let
me share anyways)
Old November 13th 03, 10:48 AM
A Joy in Hawaii

CNYstitcher wrote in message ...
QuiltShopHopper wrote:

*Head to toe baby wash (I use Johnson's

is special baby wash really better than just bar soap? Or is it just easier
to use a liquid soap on a sqirmy baby than a bar soap?

MUCH easier to use!! Only used bar soap on Rebekah before her belly
button healed (since she wasn't in a tub, I swiped a wet wash cloth over
the glycerin soap from the hospital). Now I use the Johnson's shampoo
to wash her everywhere.....even used it to make homemade diaper wipes

Okay, please share how to make homemade diaper wipes with Johnson's
shampoo. I'm almost out of wipes and hate buying 'em.

A Joy in Hawaii
Old November 13th 03, 10:53 AM
A Joy in Hawaii

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message ...
*Head to toe baby wash (I use Johnson's

is special baby wash really better than just bar soap? Or is it just easier
to use a liquid soap on a sqirmy baby than a bar soap?

Baby wash is definitely better. Doesn't sting the eye. Try put it in
your eye. Doesn't sting, see?

also, is Dreft really better laundry soap than any other? It costs so much
more!

Yes, Dreft is good. I used it with DD1 and DD2. Now with Jacob, I
just use Purex and he's fine with it.

And do you really use baby oil? What for? And is the gel form better than
the oily form?

I've used baby oil on DD2's eczema but Cetaphil is better. Baby oil
smells good. Good for putting on DD1's curly hair before brushing it
into a ponytail - keeps it all in place. Smells good. Oh, did I say
that already? =).

A Joy in Hawaii
Old November 13th 03, 03:39 PM
Diana Curtis

Im gonna do a little bre*stfeeding one upmanship on ya jeanne... (cause I
want applause from Joy too)
Diana, proud to have bf a collective 6.5 years, and counting!

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"nzl*" wrote in message
did i read somewhere loooooong looooooong time ago that mineral oil is
absorbed into the blood stream and can deplete you of some essential

vitamin
or other nutrient, thereby causing other problems.
i'd think it might also cause some bowel problems, eeeeeeeek.
i squirted breastmilk right on any diaper rash or in babys eye if the get
conjunctivitis. its the right ph for your baby.
works a treat. looks sorta funny thing to be doing but hey it worked.
jeanne
B/F three kids for a collective total of 3 yrs.

| On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:43:46 +0000, Kate Dicey wrote:
| Baby oil? Dunno... Do babies need oiling?

"NightMist" wrote...
Can't help with that one as
| we still have the unopened only bottle I ever got... 9 years later!
|
| I've always thought mineral oil (paraffin oil) couldn't be very good for
the skin. That is what the baby oil hereabouts is.

| When Ash was born our Kiri got given a quart bottle full of the stuff.
| We soaked off the lable and dropped a double handful of iron filings

into
it so we could demonstrate magnetic fields to the older kids.
| (shake the bottle up, and then hold a magnet against a side of the

bottle.
Way cool and simple demo)

Old November 13th 03, 03:42 PM
Diana Curtis

Oooh.. this one is easy.. You take a roll of inexpensive paper towels. Tear
off the amount you need for the job. Run it under the faucet till the towel
is wet enough to wipe but not dripping, put in the microwave for 5 seconds
or so. Wipe. :-) I really havent had any problems with diaper rash so plain
water must be ok.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
om...

Old November 13th 03, 05:38 PM
CNYstitcher

Homemade diaper wipes

-take a roll of bounty paper towels and cut in half (this is the hardest
part!)
-remove tube from center of paper towels
-in an old wipes container, mis 2 1/4 cups water, 2Tablespoons Johnson
baby shampoo, 1 Tablespoon baby oil (and really mix this up!)
-stuff paper towels into the wipes container, close, and turn upside
down to saturate the towels (this doesn't take long at all)
-turn container right side up and pull paper towels through opening.

I should say, I think this will only work with the pull up continers,
not the tubs....at least, I haven't tried it with the tubs

Larisa