Bernina fraud on eBay

Old July 31st 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Olwyn Mary

Default Bernina fraud on eBay

sewfine wrote:

I didn't claim to KNOW the auction was legitimate; I only said it
appeared legit to me -- in my opinion. I have no idea who this seller
is! My only interest in posting was to defend legitimate eBay sellers
and give would-be buyers some safety tips for online auctions.
Actually, I had not realized that this person lists lots of machines
and sends anonymous links to all the newsgroups about them -- in that
case, then, I agree it's a red flag and I would stay away from that
auction too.

The fact remains that advertising on this board is forbidden.
Therefore, I refuse to buy anything from those who come here purely to
advertise rather than to discuss.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old July 31st 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

BEI Design wrote:

In addition to which, the Terms of Service of eBay
specifically prohibit spamming Usenet. Unfortunately, eBay
does not provide an "abuse@" address for reporting
inappropriate ads.

No, but they have a web page to use:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_u...selection.html

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old July 31st 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
BEI Design wrote:

In addition to which, the Terms of Service of eBay specifically
prohibit spamming Usenet. Unfortunately, eBay does not provide an
"abuse@" address for reporting inappropriate ads.

No, but they have a web page to use:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_u...selection.html

For spam, expand the headers on the post, copy and paste the entire
message including header into an email and send to .

For "phish" the process is slightly different. In that case, expand the
headers and *forward* the entire message including header to
.

Spam posted on Usenet *is* a violation of eBay policy, and reported
incidents will be addressed.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old July 31st 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

Kate XXXXXX wrote:

English BBQ'D Troll

First polish up your BBQ, removing all rust and flood damage, and don
your special shoes
(http://www.styledash.com/2007/07/02/...y-scuba-diver/)

Lie in wait in the bottom of your rubber boat with a large net, and when
the troll floats past on its log, snag it. Remember to rescue the
Bernina and send it to the OSMG for TLC.

Fire up the BBQ while you scrub the troll and tie it to a spit. Make
lots of salad... Put some rolls in the oven to bake.

When it rains, go inside and heat up that vat of chicken soup you made
yesterday and serve it with the rolls. When the floods finally subside,
you'll find the clean-up crews have removed the troll along with all the
debris.

Loooove the shoes. Come to think of it, the only way I could wear
high-heeled shoes anymore would be underwater...

Now, for the troll. Would you use a garlic rub?
Old July 31st 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Pogonip wrote:

For spam, expand the headers on the post, copy and paste
the entire message including header into an email and send
.
For "phish" the process is slightly different. In that
case, expand the headers and *forward* the entire message
including header to
.
Spam posted on Usenet *is* a violation of eBay policy,
and reported incidents will be addressed.

I just noticed something a little strange about the
"Jan" spams: in every case I checked, the *seller* is
different. Not only a different name, but a different
location. Makes me wonder if someone is pulling a "Joe job"
on the competition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job

EBay security will be able to look at the actual seller(s)'
account(s) to determine if these are all sent by one seller
under multiple nyms or what, so I hope everyone is reporting
*all* of them.

Beverly

Old August 1st 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

Olwyn Mary wrote:
sewfine wrote:

I didn't claim to KNOW the auction was legitimate; I only said it
appeared legit to me -- in my opinion. I have no idea who this seller
is! My only interest in posting was to defend legitimate eBay sellers
and give would-be buyers some safety tips for online auctions.
Actually, I had not realized that this person lists lots of machines
and sends anonymous links to all the newsgroups about them -- in that
case, then, I agree it's a red flag and I would stay away from that
auction too.

The fact remains that advertising on this board is forbidden. Therefore,
I refuse to buy anything from those who come here purely to advertise
rather than to discuss.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

That's solid reasoning, Olwyn Mary. But what if Jan is a competitor?
What if he/she comes here and lists only auctions of other sellers,
making sure that those of us who feel this way will not be bidding on
those listings? These little notes are showing up in a lot of the
groups on my subscription list, and must be reaching a fair number of
people who sew, have sewing machines, and might be in the market for
additional machines. Nifty way to cut down on a competitor's pool of
potential bidders.
Old August 10th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

me wrote:
Interesting hypothesis.. I can see how it could be done, and I suppose
that there are some sellers on eBay who are cut-throat enough to try
it....

Personally, I buy on eBay all the time, including TOL
sewing/embroidery machines.. In my opinion, you have to be careful,
and follow the simple rules that sewfine explained previously.. Yes,
there are some real stinkers who are engaging in fraud on eBay, but
they are not the majority of eBay users. I would not have my
embroidery machine if it was not for eBay, as I consider it a
luxury-luxury, and the senior level machines are simply more money
than I am willing to spend brand new.

When I get another embroidery machine (upgrade), it will most likely
be on eBay for the same reason.

me

I have to agree with you. eBay is nothing more than individuals (and
companies) listing and selling direct to the buyer. If you exercise
caution, and I recommend using Paypal and funding the payment with a
credit card, you can do very well. One of my embroidery machines came
from eBay - I got a really great deal, and the seller got rid of a
system she had outgrown and got some cash in return. A win-win
situation. I have been selling and buying on eBay since 1996, and I
think it's absolutely great.