Ruched Sash--How to make?

Old February 11th 05, 09:44 PM
Taloola

Default Ruched Sash--How to make?

I am making sashes for bride's maids in my daughter's wedding. She has
seen a picture of a "Ruched Sash" and would like that style. It looks
like it has small pleats or tucks but I am not sure how you would do
this. The description says that the sash is 4.5" wide. I have a lot
of sewing experience but haven't come across this before. I would
appreciate hearing from anyone with experience or sources on how to do
this.

Old February 11th 05, 11:09 PM
Kate Dicey

Taloola wrote:
I am making sashes for bride's maids in my daughter's wedding. She has
seen a picture of a "Ruched Sash" and would like that style. It looks
like it has small pleats or tucks but I am not sure how you would do
this. The description says that the sash is 4.5" wide. I have a lot
of sewing experience but haven't come across this before. I would
appreciate hearing from anyone with experience or sources on how to do
this.

Do you have a picture you can point us to? I'm not sure exactly what
you mean.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 14th 05, 05:58 PM
Taloola

Yes, thank you or your reply, here is a link to the picture
http://www.charsa.com/productDetail_RUCHEDSASH_1.html
taloola

Old February 14th 05, 07:59 PM
Karen Maslowski

I sure wouldn't call that ruched, so no wonder no one had a clue about
how to make it. This is one of my pet peeves, unknowledgable catalog
writers making up names for things.

Anyway, it looks as though it would be dead easy to duplicate. To the
person's waist measurement, add double the amount of each tie end. That
will be the length of the sash (so if you have a 24" waist and want the
tie ends to fall 12" after the bow is tied, add 24", plus double
whatever the bow makes. The easiest way to so this is to tie a long
ribbon around the person's waist, cut the ends to where you want them,
untie the bow and just measure it). It looks about 4.5" wide in the
photo, but I think in order to make it look bunchy like that you ought
to plan on 6". So double that, and add at least 1/2" seam allowance to
each side, which totals 13". Seam the ends and the long side, right
sides together, leaving 3-4" open in the center, so you can turn it. But
don't turn it yet. First, cut a piece of stiff fabric or interfacing to
2" less than the waist circumference by 4.5" wide. Center, and fuse this
to the wrong side of the sash, with the long edge of the interfacing
along the long seam of the sash. Now turn to the right side, and when
the sash is on the body, the "ruching" should naturally fall towards the
unfused side of the sash, and the folds can be arranged. You won't even
need to close the opening if you don't want to, but it can be closed
with hand stitches pretty easily.

You can also, before you turn the sash, stitch the ends into points, if
you prefer that to the squared-off ends, and then trim off the excess
fabric. Be sure to make them point to the same long side of the sash so
when it's tied the points either fall to the center or to the outside,
depending how it's tied. I prefer to see sashes with points, and like to
see them fall to the center.

Hope this helps!

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old February 14th 05, 09:12 PM
Taloola

Karen, Thank you for the instructions--sounds like a good idea and
easy. Yeah, I agree with your take on the description! I will give it
a try and see how it goes.

Old February 14th 05, 09:47 PM
Karen Maslowski

Good luck!

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old February 15th 05, 01:34 AM
Kate Dicey

Karen Maslowski wrote:

[...]

That's pretty much how I've done them in the past.