What Everyone is Looking For

Old April 8th 04, 07:27 AM
Mika

You know, I really don't remember. I just remember seeing a gold, a red and
I think a green fabric with oriental design. Since it wasn't cotton I didn't
pay much attention. I'll bet your vests are really pretty though. The fabric
I saw was really nice and soft.

Mika

"Mary in Oregon" wrote in message
Bet the dragon satin fabric you saw was gold. that's what I'm using to

make
vests for train bearers at my daughter's wedding.

--
Mary
"Mika" wrote in message
t...

I"I'm piggybacking off Teri cause my server just loves dropping posts

before
I can catch up. I am looking for some oriental fabric, the kind that has
oriental writing, pictures of dragons and the oriental ladies and so on.

found some beautiful fabric at JoAnn's but its the satin stuff and I

need
cotton. I'm always in the market for handdyes and jeweltones too, in any
color.

And now I'm going to print out the list so I can have it handy before my
server completely loses it.

Mika

Old April 8th 04, 07:37 AM
Mel Rimmer

In article , MoragP
writes
I tried the Quilt Patis (plastic hexagon templates) and I'm not a big fan. The
fabric doesn't baste down really snug because you never stitch into the
template and the side seams are difficult because the plastic template won't
bend like paper ones do.

My favorite material to use for the templates is the advertising cards in most
magazines. It doesn't take long to collect enough and they're all pretty much
the same weight.

I was thinking of trying freezer paper, just to save all the basting.
Has anyone tried it? How did you find it?
--
Mel Rimmer
Old April 8th 04, 12:50 PM
Diana Curtis

I found it by looking in the food preparation aisle in the supermarket, next
to the zip lock baggies and plastic wrap. ;-)
Diana

"Mel Rimmer" wrote

Old April 8th 04, 01:06 PM
Mel Rimmer

Show off - I found it by making a special trip to the LQS and I paid £10
for a roll.

In article , Diana Curtis
writes

Old April 8th 04, 01:20 PM
Dannielle

Oh my Diana, that was funny! I think she meant how did it work - not
literally how you found the product on the shelf!

Dannielle

Old April 8th 04, 02:17 PM
cas

i tried that and didn't find it - maybe you need to send me a plane ticket
so i can check in your local supermarket.

Carolyn

Old April 8th 04, 02:32 PM
Patti

Hullo Mel
I used freezer paper, but I used it the sticky side in, to save the
paper moving about on the fabric. I then tacked in the usual way.
If you mean to use it the other way, so that you press the turn backs to
the freezer paper to fix them? I think there would be a couple of snags.
First of all, I think having to be so careful not to get the melting
plastic layer on the iron when pressing such little strips would be as
time consuming as tacking!
Secondly, freezer paper does tend to come unstuck if it is handled much
or moved about.
My current favourite 'thing' for the paper is those nice thickish white
envelopes. that come from all sorts of official places these days.
..
In article , Mel Rimmer
writes
In article , MoragP
writes
I tried the Quilt Patis (plastic hexagon templates) and I'm not a big fan. The
fabric doesn't baste down really snug because you never stitch into the
template and the side seams are difficult because the plastic template won't
bend like paper ones do.

My favorite material to use for the templates is the advertising cards in most
magazines. It doesn't take long to collect enough and they're all pretty much
the same weight.

I was thinking of trying freezer paper, just to save all the basting.
Has anyone tried it? How did you find it?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old April 8th 04, 04:31 PM
Diana Curtis

You got it! Just as soon as I win the lottery. Maybe I should start buying
tickets?
Would a live visit stop you from calling me?
Diana

Old April 8th 04, 05:23 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
Mel Rimmer wrote:

In article , MoragP
writes
I tried the Quilt Patis (plastic hexagon templates) and I'm not a big fan.
The
fabric doesn't baste down really snug because you never stitch into the
template and the side seams are difficult because the plastic template won't
bend like paper ones do.

My favorite material to use for the templates is the advertising cards in
most
magazines. It doesn't take long to collect enough and they're all pretty
much
the same weight.

I was thinking of trying freezer paper, just to save all the basting.
Has anyone tried it? How did you find it?

You still have to tack the corners. I think that goes nicely because
the fabric isn't sliding around, but it's still that step.

Here one of the shops sells pre-printed freezer paper. You rotary cut
the hexagons apart - on the inner line for one size, on the outer for
another size - and then press them to your fabric, tack in place and sew
away.

marcella