Beading wire help!

Old December 30th 03, 06:14 PM
Valerie

Any advice on stringing on Sterling Silver wire? I have heard this
mentioned, but I can't find any good details in the newsgroup archives
or anywhere online.
I want to make durable jewelry of professional grade for selling, and
will be using a variety of both small, large and stone beads.

Thanks in advance,
Mjoann

I can't help with the SS wire (although I'd think it could get pretty costly),
but I do have some info for you.
First, can you bead with gloves on? They make very thin latex gloves where you
can get a good feel for things. Perhaps that is an option? If not those (if you
are allergic to latex) maybe the kind the people in photo labs wear? Thin cloth
gloves.
Second...I've had great results with a brand of fishingline called "Spiderwire
Fusion". I think it has been discontinued though. I string on the 50lb test
strength kind. It's thick and you can't string pearls on it or anything with a
very tiny hole, but it works for stringing seed beads (you do need to cull
though). I haven't had a single piece of jewelry break with it yet and I've
been using it for probably over a year. Wearing pieces with it too, and no
breaks.
I use it the same way I use Softflex with crimps and everything.
HTH! Sorry I can't give you more info about the SS wire, but there are others
on this group that might be able to help.

Valerie
Website: http://www.valeriebeads.com
Check out my site for the RCB member links pages! E-mail me for details!

Old December 30th 03, 06:19 PM
roxan

I file all sharp beads with an metal emery board. I never had a problem
again. If you string on wire it will never hang right and later has
permanent bends in the wire.
Roxan
"mjoann" wrote in message
Help, I am desperate! I have no idea what to string beads on. Soft touch
and Soft Flex seem to be the standard, but I had some kind of reaction
to Soft Touch the second time I used it. (My hands got hot and red, then
swollen and itchy.) So a beading friend recommended using Power Pro or
doubled Nymo D. This has worked great, until yesterday. Out of maybe
three dozen necklaces, yesterday one on Power Pro was sliced by a rough
bead. This is absolutely unacceptable if I want to try selling! So, what
kind of wire can I use if the coated steel bothers me?
I received the latest Beadwork magazine on stringing, and found no help.
It read like an ad for Soft Flex, because every single project used that
product and brand... then I realized that half the contributors worked
for Soft Flex!

Old December 30th 03, 06:21 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Did you contact the manufacturer? A reaction like that is most odd - I
wonder if the batch you have didn't get properly cleaned off during the
manufacturing process. SoftFlex is nice, but I do like the way SoftTouch
lays - much softer. Another option would be Beadalon.

As far as using wire - eventually it will break - it can only take so much
back-and-forth movement. It will continue to harden at the movement points.
You could try sterling cablestrand as an option.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Need web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com

Old December 30th 03, 09:10 PM
Marisa Cappetta

I string on Fireline and have found it to be wonderful, it knots well and is
super strong. It's available from tackle shops in different strengths. I
think mine is 8lb and it still goes through pearls. It drapes very nicely. I
bought mine in Australia and it was quite expensive, but the roll is huge
and has lasted me a long time. I would also advise using an emery to file
off sharp edged beads.
Marisa (AU/NZ)

Old December 30th 03, 09:51 PM
Kaytee

In article , mjoann
writes:

Any advice on stringing on Sterling Silver wire?

If you use very small guage SS (like 30g), you can do bead crochet chains or
tubes. However, it does tend to "snap" after a while-- the larger/heavier the
beads, the sooner it wil snap.

With heavier wire (say, 20g), you can make head or eye pins to dangle off
chains or you can connect a series of eye-pin wired beads into a chain (like on
a traditional rosary). It would probably be best to use the half hard SS.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old December 30th 03, 11:08 PM
Kandice Seeber

You can really make lovely things using sterling silver chain and wire
wrapping with sterling silver. Also, try Silamide rather than Nymo - it's
more durable (in my opinion) and doesn't twist as much. I love Soft Flex as
well, but if you're allergic to that, chances are you are allergic to any
type of nylon covered wire, which is what Soft Flex is.

Here are some tutorials for you:
http://www.lampwork.net/soozlinkslist5.html

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old December 30th 03, 11:09 PM
Kandice Seeber

Be careful if the beads are glass - do the filing in water. Breathing in
the glass dust is very dangerous.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Wire question Regina Beads 2 November 23rd 03 08:53 PM
Wire Wrapping instead of jumprings...funny tools April H. Beads 13 September 12th 03 06:14 PM
Help! Wire gauge question Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 September 10th 03 01:58 PM
Wire for beaded flowers Ken Knecht Beads 8 August 4th 03 02:31 AM
I need beads! Rant and ? about wire mkahogan Beads 6 July 23rd 03 02:06 AM