What's on your design wall?

Old June 30th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Default What's on your design wall?

I'm working on a Thomas the Tank Train quilt for my #4 grandson. It's his
big bed quilt and he will received it for his 3rd birthday in November.
Yup, it's paper pieced using Carol Doak's #183 from 300 Paper Pieced Quilt
Blocks. I'm still tearing paper from Bella's purple and pink and hope to
get to quilting it before much longer. Then on to grandson #5's big boy
quilt.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old June 30th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

There's nothing on my design wall right now and I've been thinking. (Now
there's a sentence that scares some folks.) I'm wondering if I took it
outside and sprayed it with quilt basting spray if that would make blocks
stick to it. The board is covered with one of those pricey gridded cloths
that nothing sticks to except threads. Has anybody tried spraying one?
Polly

ers2...

Old June 30th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

My wall is batting and because most of my blocks are PP, I have to pin them.
I do know that one time I had over spray of basting spray and every thing
stuck to the floor there.........threads, dust bunnies, etc.

Old June 30th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

My design wall is covered with bright ship blocks, some that I made and
some that were made for me in my guild's box exchange.

--Lia

Old June 30th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Well, can you wash it if it doesn't work out? If so, then what's the harm
in trying it? Even washing the gridded fabric might rough it up enough to
make things stick to it better.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
There's nothing on my design wall right now and I've been thinking. (Now
there's a sentence that scares some folks.) I'm wondering if I took it
outside and sprayed it with quilt basting spray if that would make blocks
stick to it. The board is covered with one of those pricey gridded cloths
that nothing sticks to except threads. Has anybody tried spraying one?
Polly

ers2...

Old June 30th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Everything fuzzy in your house, including Yogi, would then stick to
your design wall until there was so much fluff there that your room
would be smaller! Best bet, Polly is to staple gun a cotton batt to
your wall (I did that 8yrs ago and it is still going strong even
though Winston used it as a climbing wall). I bought yardage of
batting and I think that it only cost less than $15 on sale. I didn't
mind sacrificing the largest wall area in my living room for the
purpose - I see any new projects last thing at night and first thing
in the morning - in all lights, etc. At the moment, I am looking at
the Sunflowers which is waiting for sandwiching and then quilting.
The gridded polyester fabric that you describe was originally
manufactured for pattern making and then it was used for watercolour
quilt layouts - later, it was made fusible to be used as a stabilizer/
grid for attaching watercolour squares. jennellh

On Jun 29, 9:13*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
There's nothing on my design wall right now and I've been thinking. *(Now
there's a sentence that scares some folks.) *I'm wondering if I took it
outside and sprayed it with quilt basting spray if that would make blocks
stick to it. The board is covered with one of those pricey gridded cloths
that nothing sticks to except threads. * Has anybody tried spraying one?
Polly

ers2...

http://community.webshots.com/user/m...ost=community- Hide quoted text -

Old June 30th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_4_]

i don't have a design wall but all over the beds in the spare bedroom
are scrappy New York Beauty blocks done in batiks, tie-dyed and block
print fabrics.

-Irene

Old June 30th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

One day I'm going to quit whining about it and draw a grid on a cotton batt.
I just must have lines on mine to put the blocks up level and such.
(Winston is so cute.) Polly
"jennellh" wrote in message
[...]

ers2...

Old June 30th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I'm working on a group challenge. We each got a bag with really
unrelated fabric in it and now we each are to make a 24"x24" wall
hanging out of the fabrics. I had intended to make a carousel horse,
but got carried away or something and now I have mustangs running
across my design wall, heels kicking in the air. I don't know yet what
the background will be. I think I will have to paint some of the
fabric because it just isn't working for canyons and desert scrub.

Sunny
Old June 30th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

My design wall has some scrappy Jewel Box blocks on it right now. I
have made 4 and only have 14 to go!

Mary

Portable Design Wall Linda Franklin[_2_] Quilting 8 April 24th 08 06:31 PM
Design wall .... redux Sunny Quilting 25 February 1st 07 10:58 AM
Quilter's Design Wall Karen Garza Quilting 11 July 18th 06 09:45 PM
Design wall report Kathy Applebaum Quilting 4 October 12th 05 12:20 PM
Design wall? Sandy Foster Quilting 19 June 10th 04 12:09 AM