New Log Cabin Quilt

Old February 26th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
offkilterquilter

Default Still OT Words was OT:Bad English teachers

CATS wrote:
Hhmmmm! I hadn't encountered the spoken word before so I
would have assumed that either "ph" or "th" were silent.

Thanks for my learning exercise of the day lol

Maybe you could help me out with a word I haven't found
(mind you, probably not looking all that hard either!). I
was wearing a tee shirt with "ailurophile" on the front (cat
lover) and someone asked me what the correct term was for a
dog lover. I couldn't remember. Don't suppose you would
happen to know, would you? TIA

well..skylos is ancient greek for dog.....not sure that helps any

Larisa, too scared to turn around and take a look at the piles of fabric
and patterns everywhere, so hunting online for various things
Old February 26th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz

Not remotely what I would have expected: philocynic.

--pig

On 2/25/07 20:22, in article , "CATS"

Old February 26th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

That's right! Well done pig!! After posting I decided I
was just being lazy by not looking myself. I stumbled
across this -
http://f2.org/humour/language/oddwords.html - and lost an
hour reading and chuckling to myself!

I will probably not get another thing done all afternoon,
but who cares!? I am now on a quest to find out where the
word derived from and if there is a link to the modern word
"cynic". From there who know what I will link to? I don't
often "surf" just for the fun of seeing where I end up, but
I am in the mood today.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

"Megan Zurawicz" wrote in message
: Not remotely what I would have expected: philocynic.
:
: --pig
:
:
: On 2/25/07 20:22, in article
, "CATS"
:

Old February 26th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
recarlos

Default New Log Cabin Quilt

How can I get to see this quilt.All I can get is the log in page for photo
bucket, what am I doing wrong?

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

Ruth
Sydney

Old February 26th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Did you happen to notice this one on the same list?
cynophobe : The dog-fearer or hater, and not just

the mailman and milkman.

If you come across an explanation or connection to
cynic, please do tell us!

Ta, PAT

Old February 26th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Apparently, I'm avoiding work today. *grin*

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none has the
origin of cynic, and it is related to dogs.
Comes from the Greek "kynikos", meaning dog-like.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old February 26th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I think if you and my brilliant dd got together while avoiding
work you could take over the world! LOL
Taria

Old February 26th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Default OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt

LOL That is a pet peeve with me... in the opposite direction, Pig.
I started pronouncing it before I knew the "t" was supposed to be
silent. I learned to read phonetically, and it is written as "oft-en"
so obviously that is how it should be pronounced. BG I have cleaned
it up mostly, but if I am tired a soft "t" sound does happen. (And at
one point anyway, that was a secondary pronunciation.)

Pati, in Phx with a DH who is a writer, who can sometimes spell but not
pronounce words. (But thank goodness for spell check for him too....)

Megan Zurawicz wrote:

My favorite example of that is "off tin". T in "often" has been silent how
many centuries? when these folks decide to be "cultured-er than thou" and
studiously enunciate it.......

--pig

On 2/23/07 03:59, in article , "Sally
Swindells" wrote:

My pet hate is difficult to describe, but is what I call 'false
gentrification' of the language.

Old February 26th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oft-en with a pronounced 'T' is perfectly acceptable. So, don't worry
Pati. It is definitely an alternative pronunciation and not incorrect.
..
In message . net, Pati
Cook writes
LOL That is a pet peeve with me... in the opposite direction, Pig.
I started pronouncing it before I knew the "t" was supposed to be
silent. I learned to read phonetically, and it is written as "oft-en"
so obviously that is how it should be pronounced. BG I have cleaned
it up mostly, but if I am tired a soft "t" sound does happen. (And at
one point anyway, that was a secondary pronunciation.)

Pati, in Phx with a DH who is a writer, who can sometimes spell but
not pronounce words. (But thank goodness for spell check for him
too....)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill