cleaning 25 year old crewel work

Old September 30th 05, 12:16 AM
sjharris

Default cleaning 25 year old crewel work

I completed a piece of crewelwork back in 1981, and the background has
become discolored. What is the best way to clean it? I'm not sure,
but I think the background is cotton.

Old September 30th 05, 12:46 AM
val189

A crewel pillow I made in the late sixties had gotten pretty yellow in
the background. I soaked it in cold water and mild shampoo, let dry,
then used Rit dye to turn the background a pale yellow. LIked the
result better that the original "natural" background. It didn't affect
the crewel work colors one bit.

Thanks for the reminder - all my pillows, crewel and needlepoint, could
use a bath.

Old September 30th 05, 04:28 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I know many here at RCTN tout Orvus as the "only" means of washing
needlework. I can assure you that any mild detergent will get you the
same results, including dish detergent, particularly if there is oily
residue.

Dianne

Lucretia Borgia wrote:

On 29 Sep 2005 16:16:17 -0700, "sjharris"
wrote:

I completed a piece of crewelwork back in 1981, and the background has
become discolored. What is the best way to clean it? I'm not sure,
but I think the background is cotton.

Wash and rinse well in Orvus, or like product, reblock and reuse.

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old October 3rd 05, 02:23 AM
Dorsey

And please make sure that it is clear--as some of the dishwashing soaps
contain dye that can be left in the fabric.
Dorsey in VA

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:28:58 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

I know many here at RCTN tout Orvus as the "only" means of washing
needlework. I can assure you that any mild detergent will get you the
same results, including dish detergent, particularly if there is oily
residue.

Dianne

I did say 'or like product' but I would hesitate to say to someone any
detergent as we all know detergents can vary greatly.

Old October 3rd 05, 03:22 AM
Dorsey

Hi:

Doing much, much better, Thank you. LOL eyes are still giving me fits--but
at least I can work fulltime now. And while the full time work isn't
designing--it is my second love accounting.

But I can stitch again . And we'll just take baby steps back to the
designing.

How have you been? LOL it has been a long time ?

Dorsey in VA
"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 21:23:59 -0400, "Dorsey"
wrote:

And please make sure that it is clear--as some of the dishwashing soaps
contain dye that can be left in the fabric.
Dorsey in VA

Good point Dorsey. How are you ? Long time no hear

. ..

Old October 3rd 05, 06:45 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dishwashing materials ARE NOT to be used on any old embroidery ,
ONLY soft Baby Shampoo ...
mirjam
wrote:

And please make sure that it is clear--as some of the dishwashing soaps
contain dye that can be left in the fabric.
Dorsey in VA

.. .

Old October 3rd 05, 11:49 AM
Cheryl Isaak

So glad to hear you again.

Cheryl

Old October 4th 05, 02:52 AM
Dorsey

Yup, sorry it's so ;(. But I'm one of the accounting types that most people
like have around--I find money. And I find ways to make an account that's
not paying on it's margin --pay on it and then some. The fancy smacy title
is Financial Accountant.

It's more like solving mysteries that real accounting. Tons more fun too
.

Glad to hear about the condo and no more snow removal or grass cutting. LOL
can I come and watch the Cabaña boys and gardeners?????

Dorsey in VA
"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:22:03 -0400, "Dorsey"
wrote:

Hi:

Doing much, much better, Thank you. LOL eyes are still giving me fits--but
at least I can work fulltime now. And while the full time work isn't
designing--it is my second love accounting.

But I can stitch again . And we'll just take baby steps back to the
designing.

How have you been? LOL it has been a long time ?

Dorsey in VA

I am fine, living in a condo now so no more shovelling snow or mowing
grass lol

Your second love is accounting? Oh tell me it isn't so, all those
figures! lol

Sheena

Old October 4th 05, 03:04 AM
Dorsey

Thanks Cheryl it's nice to be back

Dorsey in VA
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
So glad to hear you again.

Cheryl

On 10/2/05 10:22 PM, in article ,

wrote:

I completed a piece of crewelwork back in 1981, and the background
has
become discolored. What is the best way to clean it? I'm not
sure,
but I think the background is cotton.

Wash and rinse well in Orvus, or like product, reblock and reuse.

Light work offered (A bit OT) Eddie Daughton Pottery 0 January 27th 05 11:22 PM
Plebiscite vote on Sunday Shopping in NS Fred Needlework 76 October 23rd 04 01:16 AM
teaching adults Caroline Pottery 5 June 29th 04 11:40 PM
How To Make Ebay Work For You - for beadmakers Kandice Seeber Beads 63 February 22nd 04 05:45 PM
End of the year Wrap up rainbow Beads 2 December 28th 03 05:04 PM