Janome question

Old March 4th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Default Janome question

It looks like my trusty Husqvarna #1 is on its way to wearing out.
sigh. (My tech told me at one point that I sew "too much" G )
I love the Viking/Husqvarna machines I have, but not so jazzed about
the newer ones for some reason. So I have been looking at other
machines. One of the shops where I teach carries Janomes and I have
heard so many good things about the 6600 I am considering it. But..
Yesterday I sat for a few minutes with the manager and she commented
that the built in "walking foot" part should only be used with
straight stitching. Doesn't make sense to me. I know that any walking
foot should only be used with forward motion stitches (no reverse
stitch patterns or stitching in reverse) but cannot understand why it
wouldn't work with something like a standard zigzag or other forward
movement stitch.
I know that at least a few of you have the Janome 6600 (or 6500). Do
you use the built in walking foot with stitches other than just
straight?? Any problems??
Thanks,
Pati, in Phx
Old March 4th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have a 6500 Pati, and I have been using it this week, with its walking
foot, for straight stitching and fancy stitching (from the Mode 2
section), with no problems at all. I mentioned the straight stitching,
as I have been moving between them, for several days - not exclusively
one or the other. I can't speak for the built-in WF though.
..
In message
,
"Pati, in Phx" writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the green
Old March 4th 10, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Pati, I've mentioned before I am crazy in love with my 6600. I have both my
Accu-Feed feet in front of me.

The 1/4 in. guide foot with the metal fabric guide has a wide needle
opening- I adjust the needle position to 6.0 for a scant 1/4 in. seam (I
think? I always have to check when I use it). You can move the needle so
the needle position/metal guide will make just about any other width seam,
too. The Accu-Feed regular open toe foot has a nice wide opening to
accommodate the needle for zig-zag. I use the Accu-Feed for all my piecing,
sewing needs (lots of window treatments right now!) and straight line
quilting. And satin stitching with a stabilizer. I seldom sew anything
without it engaged... except for fmq.

Just to be sure I'm not giving you incorrect info try emailing Janome from
their website and ask them your question (And in April Janome is
introducing a new model made exclusively for quilters. But I have to say I
will not buy a first year model of ANYthing. I wait a few years until all
the 'bugs' are worked out..)

Have fun finding a machine that suits you. And I highly encourage you to
give the 6600 a real tough test drive. It can handle it! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old March 4th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I'm busy painting but just checked in with my 6600. I did the wider default
zig-zag plus a stitch that looks like a chain of flowers- both using the
Accu-Feed with the open toe foot and then double checked with the regular
open toe foot not using the Accu-Feed. Noooooo problem and no difference in
the stitches or any strange noises or anything else that would tell me the
Accu-Feed wasn't working just fine with the non-straight stitches.

I also reverse stitch at the end of a seam with the Accu-Feed, but I didn't
reverse stitch with any fancy stitches. I use the automatic knot-off button
for the fancies. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old March 4th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

I quilted a quilt with the feather stitch using a walking foot. That
was before someone told me they wouldn't reverse :-) It's fine with
forward only decorative stitches - people seem to have mixed results on
the others.

marcella

In article
,

Old March 4th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Pati, I love my Janome 6600. And I have used the walking foot with the
fancy stitches. But they aren't as good as when I use the correct
foot. Just flat out, the tension is hard to get right and they come
out a bit wonky. Use the correct foot. It makes life a lot easier,

Sunny
Old March 9th 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Maybe that was my problem with my Janome. I was doing whatever with the
walking foot. I won't even tell all the evil things I made that thing
do!! Eventually I sold it cuz it just didn't want to work with me the
way I needed it to. And no it was not the model your looking at, so Good
Luck.
Joanna

Old March 9th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

On Mar 4, 9:29*am, "Pati, in Phx" wrote:
[...]

A walking foot came with my Janome MC 10001, but the manual says very
little about it and does not mention any limitations of the walking
foot.

I purchased a walking foot (#50) for my little Bernina Activa. It
says that one can use most stitches with it; however, the maximum
recommended "length" for reverse motion stitches is 3 mm. I don't
know whether that would apply to a Janome walking foot or not.

Bev in TX
Old March 9th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

There is a little adjustment knob on the 6600 for manipulating fussy
stitches. I never used it but there is info in the manual
on it.
Taria

Old March 9th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

I contacted Janome. They said that a walking foot is most often used
for straight stitching, but that it can also be used for decorative
stitching. Because of the design of the foot, forward motion stitches
work the best.

Bev in TX

machine question: janome mc 6500 or husqvarna platinum?? Wren Quilting 10 March 26th 13 08:16 PM
Question about the Janome 6600 Carissa Quilting 13 September 11th 07 04:14 PM
Janome question Pami Quilting 3 July 13th 07 12:27 AM
Sewing machine question - Janome Jem Ginger in CA Quilting 8 October 10th 06 04:35 PM
Janome question John Freese Quilting 8 September 9th 03 08:42 PM