Thick quilting thread advice, please

Old March 3rd 10, 12:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Default Thick quilting thread advice, please

Got a wee problem-ette, thought somone might be able to help, please?

The theory was that I should hand quilt DS a black-and-red design.
It is scarlet red on one side, black on the other
Cotton/silk batting/cotton sandwich
The design is a geometric arabic-style mandala
Want to quilt some in red ans some in black making the design
reversable, but the red showing on the black and vice-versa.

Bought YLI Hand-quilting thread (which I normally love) and began.

Problem: The thread disappears. Completely, utterly, all gone
disappears

Thought I could solve this with embroidery thread, but it won't go
through any needle that will go through sandwich.
Thought about machine quilting, but that is still not going to show
sufficiently.
Can I get coloured sashiko thread, perhaps?
That would certainly do the trick, but there may be better solutions.

Any thoughts or ideas or, better still,experiences anyone?

Itching to get started, and now in a paroxism of indecision.

Help!?
Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Old March 3rd 10, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Have you ever tried quilting with the thick thread in the bobbin?
I haven't, myself, but I have heard it mentioned on here several times
as a great solution to this. You could also do couching - zig-zag of
fine thread over a thick thread placed where you need it to be.
I'm sure Leslie has done this. She might pop in with an answer, if
she's about.
It is definitely possible - somehow!
..
In message
,
Sartorresartus writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the green
Old March 3rd 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Sashiko thread is available in some colors. And would work well. You
might also find a fine, but not too fine, pearl cotton in colors
(perhaps more available than the Sashiko thread??).
Another option would be to use a light color thread which would show
on both the red and black. Which would add to the 'reversibility',
sort of. ??
You might also try a Sulky Blendable in 12 wt. A bit heavier, but
works in a Roxanne size 11 between. These are varigated within a
color. Not sure what is available in reds and black/grey.

Good luck, sounds like a great project.

Pati, in Phx

Old March 3rd 10, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I am dismal at handquilting so I wouldn't know exactly which needle would be
best but I believe there is one that would carry several embroidery threads,
make a hole big enough to keep the floss from shredding and be comfortable
for your quilting. Consider either the chenille, sharp-pointed and
long-eyed and/or the #12 crewel which is tiny and long-eyed. As Gadget
Queen, you really should add a needle collection to your repertoire. I
recommend the Needle Guide from Wendy Schoen. Polly

Old March 3rd 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Polly Esther wrote:
I am dismal at handquilting so I wouldn't know exactly which needle
would be best but I believe there is one that would carry several
embroidery threads, make a hole big enough to keep the floss from
shredding and be comfortable for your quilting. Consider either the
chenille, sharp-pointed and long-eyed and/or the #12 crewel which is
tiny and long-eyed. As Gadget Queen, you really should add a needle
collection to your repertoire. I recommend the Needle Guide from Wendy
Schoen. Polly

I second Polly. I've used a needle with a big eye to sew embroidery
floss (3 strands) onto a quilt top. I like big eyes even for regular
sewing- much easier to thread the needle!

Allison
Old March 3rd 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Thanks, I've been experimenting for about a month! I'm nearly bald!
lol

Beading needle= too thin, it snaps
Chenille= too fat at the eye end; the pointy end is fine, but I can
only get one stitch through the sandwich at a time.
Between= the biggest I can get is an 8 which won't take the thread
Sharp= either too small for the thread or too long to be stable (they
snap into three peices)
Darner=close, but still too 'fat' to pick up more than one stitch at a
time
Sashiko= OK-ish, but the eye is very fat and doesn't pull through
easily (like I needed pliers)
Embroidery/crewel= see darner
Cross stitch/tapestry= blunt (of course)

I've even been eyeing up ('scuse pun) sack needles and some old ones
that don't even have names. I really am tearing my hair out on this
one. I am nearly at the stage of sticking red in the bobbin and black
in the top and MQing the thing, but it is not the effect I wanted. It
seemed so easy on paper!

I've got some #8 perlé on order this afternoon, adn I shall see what
that looks like.

I might try the double thread if I can get it through an eye which is
thin enough to go through the sandwich. I have spotted some red/black
sashiko thread made by Olympus, but not in the UK (of course).
Actually it's from Australia, so shipping will probably make me weep.

3 strands of floss might be a good compromise. I'll give that a go.

Couching won't work, because there would be no stitches on the
reverse.

Thanks. Back to the drawing board for another try. My fingers are
sore from attempting single strand sashiko with the 3.5" needle.

Maybe I should try leather-stiching with an awl!

IDEA! What about using a fine crochet hook like tambour work... it
might do it...? I'll give it a go.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old March 3rd 10, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

If your thread doesn't go through ALL the layers - what if you do some
stitch in the ditch with a regular thread to hold the layers together
and then embroider on only the top layer with your thicker thread? That
may be an easier way to get the effect you want.

HTH
Allison

Old March 3rd 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

The only thing I can add is good luck and listen to the wise folks who
have already answered. I am doing some crude embroidery. But more than
one stitch at a time??? Hah. I'm lucky to get one stitch at a time.
And I know this is probably really a no-no and there are all kinds of
reasons not to, but when I did my niece's crazy quilt, I wanted to put
something on by hand and it was really fat and .... I ended up with a
file and a tapestry needle. I filed that blunt end down to a point
that slid through like a champ. Like I said, I'm sure there are many
reasons not to do that.

I can't wait to see this quilt. Red and black are a gorgeous color
combo.

Sunny
Old March 3rd 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
kratersge

Machine quilting is really not a bad idea. Those threads show up WAY
more then hand quilting. If you used black on top and red on bottom;
it'd would be even more reversible.

The other way to get threads to show better is to use metallic, or
something like holoshimmer. I just finished using gold mettler
metallic for hand quilting on navy; worked just fine. Shows nicely;
if you're just a couple of feet away.

susan k