OT...checking in of Marian and the Cracked Assistants...

Old July 3rd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default OT...checking in of Marian and the Cracked Assistants...

This might be long, and take a couple emails to do!

First, let's start with Mary (aka MIMI, the Princess of PInk).
She sprouted up and is 5 ft 7, still skinny as a rail and almost 18!
Her education has been all over the place. 3rd grade was the last one
in the elementary school with her brothers, then across town to
another one with a FABULOUS woman who was very supportive. Then to
Middle School for grades 6-8. Quite possibly the worst 3 yrs of our
life. She was in a closed classroom, and the teacher was trying to
teach MIMI as if she were like the rest of her classmates...but they
were well ahead of her. She never read the Ed Plan, and couldn't
understand why I refused to make MIMI memorize the multiplication
tables. HECK!! the girl can't add to 10 reliably!!!! So, that twit's
final act was to say that MIMI didn't need supper program, and wrote
an Ed Plan that suggested she could suddenly and miraculously take on
a regular 7th grade course level with NO aide. Would you believe me
if I told you that I rejected that plan in seconds, chased the mailman
who delivered it down and handed him the rejection notice? yup, that
was me. The State Spec. Ed liason called and politely asked why, and
wasn't at all shocked when I told him it wasn't worth the paper it was
written on. A very nice lady from the town called, we chatted about
the plan, she sighed a lot, and put MIMI in a summer program while I
was on the phone, told me not to worry that the teacher had quit (was
it something I said...like "I will have to check this with my lawyer,
but I do believe what you are saying is against state law:?). New
teacher did 7th and 8th grades, still not great. At least the ed plan
was reasonable, but again, seemed ignored. Come time to move to 9th
gr, and the teacher from the High School listened carefully, and said
"she is too low to come to my room. She has to go out of district."
YES!!! The director for that program called me, we chatted a lot as
she had been the director of Spec. Ed wihen MIMI was younger, knew her
and her potential. She was AGHAST at what had happened, and put MIMI
in a class with 7 other kids where our girl confressed "MOM, I am the
ONLY one who can read a book without pictures!" She was the class
leader, and role model. They even found her a job with the local
Chamber of Commerce that paid MONEY. She was over the moon! We moved
her to a class with more girls, and more on her academic level that
would also have a bigger life skills, vocational component. She is
the only girl in the class who is NOT autistic on some level. She
again is used as the role model for social skills. She LOVES it. She
is rather annoyed that the 2 little jobs she has outside the classroom
she isn't being paid, but that's ok. I told her it was community
service, a concept she knows from Scouting. Last summer she was at
Boy Scout camp for 2 weeks, and had 2 other girls with her for the 2nd
week. This year we have 4 other girls with us! She is very excited.
All in all, she is doing well.

Tommy is now 15, and is in his 2nd year of working at Boy Scout Camp.
He had a tough summer last summer as a CIT (counselor in training),
survived it and was voted best CIT. The shooting sports people wanted
him this summer, but he has to be 16 to work there. Instead, he is at
Trailblazer, the program for new Boy Scouts to teach them their basic
outdoor skills. He is so level-headed at times, and then such a goof
the next minute. But that is part of being a teenage boy, I guess.
Heloves being at camp, and can't wait to get there every year. He is
1 badge away from getting Life rank, and has plans already for his
eagle project. Now if he pulls it off. Had a girlfriend for a couple
weeks till she put down a friend of his. That was the end of her. He
too shot up and is about 5 ft 7. Still skinny, some days eats
constantly. School has not been his friend, but he finally got the
message about doing the homework every day...I hope... He survived,
barely 9th grade. He had a horrible science teacher who assumed that
no one did homework, unless you put it in his hand and stood there
while he read it. What high schooler does that? Damn few it seemed.
Even the smarter kids didn't do as well with this teacher. Not to
worry, I complained. But he is the Dept Head, so that was a wasted
phone call and letter, I am sure. Tommy is also the family computer
geek, and started to build a new computer down cellar, but too many
pieces from different places that don't match up has him at a stand
still. Perhaps his miniscule pay this summer will go to that...but he
has started thinking about cars, so who know?

Bobby is 14, and is going from a chunky short guy to my height (5 ft
4) and slimmer. Again, while he sorta did the homework, it didn't
always get turned in. so his 8th grade yr wasn't fun. His academic
supports are in place for next year, so we shall see. He is a typical
teenager...helpful one minute, then wouldn't give you the sweat off
his brow the next. He will play Legos with Gabe the Babe most times,
has taught him the importance of staying hidden in Hide and Seek
(FINALLY!!), and will play dinosaurs with him. 2 seconds later, Bob
is on the computer cheerfully blowing things up and killing aliens,
quite successfully, I am told. He has quite a gang of friends with
similiar interests, and they are very supportive of each other.I hope
he will be with some of them next year.With Tommy at camp all summer,
he has sorta started being more responsible, but the minute you
compare him to Tommy, he stops. sigh....He is my buddy though, and
will work with me anytime, if I make it fun.

Niece Kristen is 11, and entering 7th grade. Still smart, a VORACIOUS
reader who had some tough teachers in the 6th grade. Unlike her
cousins, she got involved in several afterschool clubs. AND LOVED
IT!!!! She has grown, but not the shoot up of her cousins. She is
getting more independent, but still will hang with me often.

Gabe the Babe, our preemie, is the size of most 4 yr olds, yet will be
6 in Sept. He has taught himself to read, and is baffled by pre-
Kindergarten classmates who can't even read the word "EXIT", and are
just now learning to print their names. His favorite word this week
is "whatever" said in a very resigned tone of voice. Very cute, still
cuddly every now and then. Loves to hug, still.

DuH did a year in the sandbox (iraq) in 2005. A long year. He just
finished SGT Major's academy, and will be retiring sometime after the
1st of the year. 30 yrs in the Army. He thinks he is coming home to
stay. NOT!!!
Still doing too many funerals for the ceremonial unit. He is involved
in the VFW, and that takes up some of his "spare" time.

As for me, I can't remember when I last sewed. I have been doing
crocheting of dish scrubbers, so am not entirely uncreative. Scouting
has taking a bigger chunk of my time, and while I like it....sometimes
the people make be want eliminate them retroactively from the gene
pool. But that is true of any organization, I guess. I had a
hysterectomy as I had a massive fibroid in January and am NOT enjoying
menopause for a 2nd time. Seems one ovary was post-menopausal, and
the other one not. Hot flashes the first time wasn't fun, and even
less so the 2nd time around, in case you were wondering..

MSM and MSD are still here. Mom takes about 40 pills a day (better
living thru chemicals) had a hip replacement and just got over having
shingles for the 2nd time in her life. Dad was working until April,
then got laid off. He still golfs and walks, and serves on the town
Planning Board. He is deafer than Mom, but swears she mumbles.
whatever... MSM and 82 and MSD 81, so each day with them is a gift.

That's all I have time for, have to finish laundry (what else is new?)
so we can pack for summer camp.

Hugs to all
Marian and the staff of Cracked Assistants...
Old July 3rd 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

OMG has it really been that long. There is no way in the world that MIMI is
gonna be 18.

I have so missed all the stories of the cracked assistants.

Thanks for checking in Marian and filling all of us in on what has been
going on.

--
Cindy from MO

Old July 3rd 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

i thoroughly enjoyed your little "rant" as it were. Very informative.
i had a Hyster. back in '98 and didnt get the hot flashes until about
2 yrs ago. my dr. checked my thyroid and discovered it wasnt female
but thyroid flashes. you should ask yours to do your levels.
yes, elder parents are better chemically enhanced. i totally
agree...mine must be your parent's clones! VBG if only they would
share some of those meds! LOL

nice to meet you, Marian! keep in touch.

amy in CNY
Old July 4th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Marian,

It's great to hear from you. Can't believe Mimi is almost 18. Seems like
last year she was just a little girl. Loved the update on all of your
family.

Donna in SW Idaho

Old July 4th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Thanks! So wonderful to have a brief update, makes me remember why we missed
you so much. I do hope you get back to sewing some day.
Roberta in D

Old July 4th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Hey Marian! Good to hear the latest McQuaid Saga. Good luck to all of you
.... don't be a stranger here girl!
PAT in VA/USA (formerly of the BB swap)