Shaky hands

Old July 2nd 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default Shaky hands

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Sunny
wrote:

I'm working on some piecing that actually requires a bit of finesse
and my hands shake. I suspect I'm not the only one on this board with
hand shakes ..... but I am frustrated with it. Does anybody have
tricks, suggestions or advice for minimizing the problems caused by
shaking hands when piecing? I'm already using my single hole plate and
foot. It helps. But .....

Advice??

I only had that for a couple of weeks due to some meds (I resisted the
temptation to assassinate my doctor, I deserve a medal for that!).
A wrist brace, something to brace my elbow on, and pressure on my back
seemed to help a little. I found some creative ways to use an artist's
mahl stick as a steady bridge, and that also helped somewhat. Whether
you could make use of one would depend on your set-up, the thing is
nothing more than a long straight stick with a little bag of sand
attached to one end pillowing it.

Glue sticks are also your friend, as is masking tape. You can tape
your seams remember.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old July 2nd 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

I've been sewing over pins for a long time. I think that it was a
selling point when they came out with the hinged/rocking foot as
opposed to the solid, non-hinged, foot. 'course, I don't pin a lot
when I'm piecing straight pieces, only pin curves or when easing
slightly different sized pieces.
Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

I've been sewing over pins for round about 50+ years and usually at full
speed ahead. So far no problems here. I know it's a big no-no but I'd
already been doing this for about 20 years when I found out I wasn't s'posed
to. I always found it fascinating to watch the looks of horror on teachers
in any sewing class I've taken.

Scoffs at danger!
Val

Same here. I generally don't use pins for straight piecing, but for
anything curved and in dressmaking, it's either pins or basting and I
only baste for the really slippery stuff. With the new machines I try
to pull out the pins just before the presser foot so I don't throw the
darn temperamental machines out of kilter, but with my old Kenmore
(circa 1940) workhorse, I regularly drove full speed ahead. You're
right about the teachers. The looks are worth doing it deliberately.

Diana from Gulph Mills, PA

Old July 2nd 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I was like you, a scoffer, until the day the needle actually hit one at full
speed. And found out why it's a good thing the tip of the needle has thread
running through it. I do hate replacing needles before their time, and this
one was nearly new!
Roberta in D

"Val" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"Kate XXXXXX" wrote in message
et...
I also stitch over pins all the time! Not only when piecing quilts, but
also when garment making. Set the pins at right angles to the seam, take
it easy on the speed, and try using thise Clover pins as they are
extremely fine and less prone to being hit by the needle in a drive-by
crash!
http://www.gursewingmachines.com/clo...g_sundries.htm

Old July 2nd 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Braces.

Do you have HAND braces..they're flexible but give you lots of hand support.
I have 3 diff kinds of braces:
Night that go from base of finners to 2" beyond the wrist
Day lightweight--have HARD palm support
and lightweight--a bit stronger than the ones LQS's sell.
Also have soft and hard(leather with steel in them) for my wrists Hard for
when the carpal kicks up or I overdo. Soft that just go on the wrist with
supports palm side for when I crochet/knit and sometimes sew (Bad hand
days). I can NOT hand sew whatsoever.....so that's the way of the Dodo bird
for me. Even with using needle nose pliers to pull the needle.

Got us ANOTHER quilter IN THE MAKING!!!!!!!!!!!
Young lady just started sewing lessons and can't WAIT until she can start
quilting ones. Told her the door was open when she was ready. She is going
to come over and help me lay out the Knit Afghan Blocks the end of July or
so.....before college starts (Freshmen in college)
I'm excited for her and so is she.

Butterfly (She knows how to knit)

"Sunny" wrote in message
Polly, if I could hold onto a needle I would. I have loss of sensation
in my finger tips and can't really feel a needle most of the time. I
have to grip really, really hard, and then ...... nevermind.

Sunny
LOL

Old July 2nd 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I use bamboo/chop sticks.just enuf 'roughness' to then to help cling to the
fabric and so far have had no 'splinters or leftover slivers on the cotton
fabrics.

HTH
Butterfly (Do NOT use them on FINE DELICATE fabric tho.)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Well then. One of my own favorite tools is a corsage pin. Since my days
of being a bridesmaid are pretty much over, I had to buy a pack over in
the bridal section of WalMart. You can rest your wrist on the 'table' of
the machine to steady and lead the fabric with the pin just
stitch-by-stitch. Piecing is not a race. Go slowly thread by thread. A
neighbor of ours has shaky hands as a result of thyroid problems. She
stitches over pins. That makes me cringe. If you must do that, wear
goggles and a padded bra. Polly

Old July 2nd 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'm going to work my way through
the list and see what helps. I just bought myself a better (longer)
pair of tweezers and those seem to be helpful. The thing I find
hardest is lining up two edges on small pieces of fabric so that I can
pin or stitch. Or both. I am am a patience-challenged individual. When
I get frustrated, the fingers shake just that much more, I drop one or
both pieces, glasses fall off, scissors hit the floor, thread gets
snagged and comes out of the needle......... I pray for patience
every day. I meditate on patience. I work on mindful breathing. But
when the cookie hits the coffee, I just lose it. LOL. I suspect that
the "slings and arrows" I deal with are intended to be teaching me
something. I better get busy, I guess and learn fast. I'd had to reach
my "final reward" one day and find out I have to go back for remedial
patience. ;-)

Sunny
Old July 3rd 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Sunny:
Maybe you need to make a few adjustments to your work station. I would
suggest getting your SM bed level with the table top, so you do not have to
lift your forearms. Then check and test the height of your sewing chair. You
might need to change that. These solutions may make you more comfortable,
possibly minimizing the issues. HTH,

--
Pat in VA/USA

Old July 3rd 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Butterflywings" wrote in message
I use bamboo/chop sticks.just enuf 'roughness' to then to help cling to the
fabric and so far have had no 'splinters or leftover slivers on the cotton
fabrics.

I have a few of the bamboo kabob skewers always in my sewing drawer. They
are great for a tuck and hold to keep the beginning or end of the line
corners where you want them. I like the pointy end of the skewer, you can
hold down that teeny pesky corner all the way under the presser foot until
the last stitch. Saw that years ago on a Martha Pullen show. I notice she
seldom sews without using one.

Val

Old July 8th 08, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 00:25:22 -0700, "Val" wrote:

"Kate XXXXXX" wrote in message
net...
I also stitch over pins all the time! Not only when piecing quilts, but
also when garment making. Set the pins at right angles to the seam, take
it easy on the speed, and try using thise Clover pins as they are
extremely fine and less prone to being hit by the needle in a drive-by
crash!
http://www.gursewingmachines.com/clo...g_sundries.htm

I've been sewing over pins for round about 50+ years and usually at full
speed ahead. So far no problems here. I know it's a big no-no but I'd
already been doing this for about 20 years when I found out I wasn't s'posed
to. I always found it fascinating to watch the looks of horror on teachers
in any sewing class I've taken.

Scoffs at danger!
Val

I did it for 20 yrs, then I hit one. I heard the bit of needle wizz
past my head. Still sew over pins, just more careful and with much
less speed.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/
Old July 8th 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

wrote:

I'm working on some piecing that actually requires a bit of finesse
and my hands shake. I suspect I'm not the only one on this board with
hand shakes ..... but I am frustrated with it. Does anybody have
tricks, suggestions or advice for minimizing the problems caused by
shaking hands when piecing? I'm already using my single hole plate and
foot. It helps. But .....

Advice??

Sunny

Elmer's glue stick, place it along the seam and glue the fabric
pieces together, then sew as slowly as you need to. It will wash out
when you wash the quilt the first time.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/

Look Ma! No hands Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 97 January 16th 08 03:40 PM
hands michele Glass 9 November 15th 07 09:39 PM
Dry Hands/Fingers Margie Beads 70 October 6th 04 08:26 AM
OT Whose hands are these? Marisa Cappetta Beads 27 June 7th 04 12:38 PM
The how to of Hands of RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 5 December 21st 03 08:29 AM