new to this group, have applique question

Old July 1st 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
lyn5

Default new to this group, have applique question

On Jun 29, 6:16*pm, PeachyM wrote:
Hi, I only do wallhangings. *That's my extent of quilting but I have a
pattern for The Garden Song which is all applique and the base looks
quilted but not the applique. *Would I quilt the base first? *Would I
quilt it with the base with borders sewn on? *Then I would put the
applique pieces on top of the already quilted base? *It is 34" X 46".

Any help would be appreciated. *Kathy *

Welcome!
There is no right or wrong way...Its up to the design and you. If you
want to have the applique extending a little into the border you will
of course have to add it first. Looks well blended when it does hang
off into the border.
Lyn
Old July 2nd 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
PeachyM

Hi, Pat, thanks! I have another question. When you quilt the
background don't you do it with batting beneath? I thought I would
put the background in the center of my batting, it's cotton batting,
very thin. That way when I'm done quilting I can trim just the
background to the proper size and add the borders so the borders have
the batting, too. I've decided to put the applique on after the
quilting and before the borders. I am a seamstress and make all of
my own clothes. This project is worth 2 blouses and 1 pair of capris!

I can't own two pounds of chocolate. It would be gone before anyone
knew it was in the house!

Thanks, again, Peachy

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:59:37 -0400, "Pat in Virginia"
wrote:

Hello Peachy!
Quilting can come before or after the appliqué, as others have stated. If
you quilt after the appliqué, I think it is important to add borders AFTER
the appliqué, because the handling of the piece while you appliqué is likely
to slightly distort the background. I like to cut the background a little
large, then to square it to size after I've finished the appliqué. At that
point I add borders and eventually quilt the project. That is my way.
Someday I want to add the appliqué after the project is fully quilted, just
for fun!

Meantime, I'd just like to say Welcome to the Land of RCTQ. We have fun
here, no moderator, no rules. The only thing you really need to know is that
it is very wise to have your chocolate vetted. Just send a pound or two to
the Office of the Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ, which is in my Palace
here in Virginia. I will test and taste and report back via email. You don't
have to thank me ... this is my unselfish volunteer duty in RCTQ. A tough
job, but someone's gotta do it.

By the way, just ignore Polly Esther. She is just pouting because I got here
before her and got the coveted Chocolate Taster job!!!

Pat In Virginia/USA

Old July 2nd 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

You could do it that way, I think. (Remember you have 3 layers with the
backing beneath the batting!) But IMO it would be hard to trim the
background accurately. Might just be easier to do the borders too before you
start quilting.
Roberta in D

wrote:

[...]

Applique Question harrythehair Quilting 10 March 4th 08 06:50 PM
applique question Ann Quilting 12 October 8th 06 10:48 PM
Applique Question Phaedrine Quilting 15 September 17th 06 04:34 AM
Another Applique Question Jacquard_The_Ripper Quilting 4 July 24th 03 10:54 AM
Applique Question Jacquard_The_Ripper Quilting 10 July 23rd 03 05:12 PM