new to this group, have applique question

Old June 30th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
PeachyM

Default new to this group, have applique question

Hi, I only do wallhangings. That's my extent of quilting but I have a
pattern for The Garden Song which is all applique and the base looks
quilted but not the applique. Would I quilt the base first? Would I
quilt it with the base with borders sewn on? Then I would put the
applique pieces on top of the already quilted base? It is 34" X 46".

Any help would be appreciated. Kathy
Old June 30th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Hi Kathy, and welcome.
The answer to your question is one of those 'it all depends' and yes or
no. It seems like our Pat on the Hill was considering doing the quilting
first and then adding the appliqué. I do the appliqué and the quilting
comes next. I wouldn't put the borders on until I'd done the appliqué only
because the borders will make the piece larger and a little harder to
maneuver.
We would like to know a little about you. Just generally, where are
you, do you have a pet who assists you in quilting ( a QI) and you can
simply ignore Pat in Virginia who keeps hoping a new addition to our group
will send her some chocolate. It's too hot to ship chocolate anyway. Polly

"PeachyM" wrote Hi, I only do wallhangings. That's my extent of quilting

Old June 30th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

yup, depends on the design.
i couldnt find this pattern when i googled.
who publishes it or the authors name or a link to a pix
online might be useful.
more often than not the applique is done first, then add
borders (easier to applique without the extra fabric there),
then baste, then quilt, then bind.
it sounds real pretty, i love flowers and garden designs so
i'd like to see it online somewhere.
j.

Old June 30th 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Yes, it's more than possible, Kathy.
It works beautifully. It is so much easier to actually sew the appliqué
on (well, by hand it is anyway), as you don't need to worry about
stitches on the reverse.
I have done two fairly major pieces that way; but I do want to do more -
and with pieced backgrounds. There is an Australian quilter (probably
loads more, but her name always springs to mind when I think of this
technique). Her name is Gloria Loughran. Her work is stunning.

My feeling is that you should make up the whole base (centre + borders)
and quilt it (but perhaps not the binding); then add the appliqué, then
the binding - having squared it if necessary.

In message , PeachyM
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 30th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
PeachyM

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:54:37 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Hi Kathy, and welcome.
The answer to your question is one of those 'it all depends' and yes or
no. It seems like our Pat on the Hill was considering doing the quilting
first and then adding the appliqué. I do the appliqué and the quilting
comes next. I wouldn't put the borders on until I'd done the appliqué only
because the borders will make the piece larger and a little harder to
maneuver.
We would like to know a little about you. Just generally, where are
you, do you have a pet who assists you in quilting ( a QI) and you can
simply ignore Pat in Virginia who keeps hoping a new addition to our group
will send her some chocolate. It's too hot to ship chocolate anyway. Polly

Hi, Polly,

I live in Fairview, PA. I have a quilting friend but we haven't done
anything together yet. I have a Janome 11000 and it has a nice area
to the right of the needle that should help with quilting the
background for the applique. I will not add the final border. I
think I will add the inner boarder and include that with the
crosshatch quilting. I'm new to all of the quilting terms. Is there
a good source on the internet for quilting terms?

Kathy
Old June 30th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Welcome!
What sort of quilting? If it's an all-over grid, you could quilt it first
and put the applique on top. If you want to emphasize your lovely applique,
do that first and then quilt around it, maybe echo lines.
Roberta in D

Old June 30th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:16:43 -0400, PeachyM wrote:

Hi, I only do wallhangings. That's my extent of quilting but I have a
pattern for The Garden Song which is all applique and the base looks
quilted but not the applique. Would I quilt the base first? Would I
quilt it with the base with borders sewn on? Then I would put the
applique pieces on top of the already quilted base? It is 34" X 46".

Any help would be appreciated. Kathy

You can quilt first, or applique then quilt. If you applique first,
your first quilting lines would go 1/8 inches away from the applique
edge. That is called echo quilting because you are echoing the edge
of the applique. After that first line is done you can use any method
to fill the remaining area to be quilted.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/
Old June 30th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:06:12 -0400, PeachyM wrote:

I live in Fairview, PA. I have a quilting friend but we haven't done
anything together yet. I have a Janome 11000 and it has a nice area
to the right of the needle that should help with quilting the
background for the applique. I will not add the final border. I
think I will add the inner boarder and include that with the
crosshatch quilting. I'm new to all of the quilting terms. Is there
a good source on the internet for quilting terms?

Kathy

I don't know of any online glossaries but your local library would
have some good beginner quilter books. Look for one by Fonz and
Porter or Bonesteele.
Old July 1st 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

aeyyyyyy I don't know if "The Fonz" was much of a quilter. :-) Make
sure you spell it Fons.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 1st 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Hello Peachy!
Quilting can come before or after the appliqué, as others have stated. If
you quilt after the appliqué, I think it is important to add borders AFTER
the appliqué, because the handling of the piece while you appliqué is likely
to slightly distort the background. I like to cut the background a little
large, then to square it to size after I've finished the appliqué. At that
point I add borders and eventually quilt the project. That is my way.
Someday I want to add the appliqué after the project is fully quilted, just
for fun!

Meantime, I'd just like to say Welcome to the Land of RCTQ. We have fun
here, no moderator, no rules. The only thing you really need to know is that
it is very wise to have your chocolate vetted. Just send a pound or two to
the Office of the Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ, which is in my Palace
here in Virginia. I will test and taste and report back via email. You don't
have to thank me ... this is my unselfish volunteer duty in RCTQ. A tough
job, but someone's gotta do it.

By the way, just ignore Polly Esther. She is just pouting because I got here
before her and got the coveted Chocolate Taster job!!!

Pat In Virginia/USA

"PeachyM" wrote in message
Hi, I only do wallhangings. That's my extent of quilting but I have a
pattern for The Garden Song which is all applique and the base looks
quilted but not the applique. Would I quilt the base first? Would I
quilt it with the base with borders sewn on? Then I would put the
applique pieces on top of the already quilted base? It is 34" X 46".

Any help would be appreciated. Kathy

Applique Question harrythehair Quilting 10 March 4th 08 06:50 PM
applique question Ann Quilting 12 October 8th 06 10:48 PM
Applique Question Phaedrine Quilting 15 September 17th 06 04:34 AM
Another Applique Question Jacquard_The_Ripper Quilting 4 July 24th 03 10:54 AM
Applique Question Jacquard_The_Ripper Quilting 10 July 23rd 03 05:12 PM