Surface work

Old April 24th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

Default Surface work

OK - In my travels, I am looking for stuff that's surface work and NOT
flowers or traditional - and probably not sublime stitching either.
So here's one I forgot about and have probably posted before, but
since it's so fun, I thought I would pass it along again:

http://www.aflembroidery.com/

I particularly like some of these: http://aflembroidery.secure-mall.com...shop=1&cat=17&

Linda
Old April 24th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Oh, thanks for posting this. My now closed (sigh) LNS brought in a few of
these kits, and they looked terrific.
I really love the ones with the families--some have a pig, some have a goat,
and some have a hippo!
Dawne

Old April 24th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
flitterbit

Dawne Peterson wrote:
Oh, thanks for posting this. My now closed (sigh) LNS brought in a few of
these kits, and they looked terrific.
I really love the ones with the families--some have a pig, some have a goat,
and some have a hippo!
Dawne

Are you by chance replying to older posts that may have expired for some
of us? I'm curious about what you've written (my primary needlework
interest is surface work), but have no idea what you're replying to
since you didn't include any of the original post ...
Old April 25th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

flitterbit wrote:

Dawne Peterson wrote:
Oh, thanks for posting this. My now closed (sigh) LNS brought in a few of
these kits, and they looked terrific.
I really love the ones with the families--some have a pig, some have a goat,
and some have a hippo!
Dawne

Are you by chance replying to older posts that may have expired for some
of us? I'm curious about what you've written (my primary needlework
interest is surface work), but have no idea what you're replying to
since you didn't include any of the original post ...

This: (posted by lewmew through googlegroups)
:So here's one I forgot about and have probably posted before, but
:since it's so fun, I thought I would pass it along again:
:
:http://www.aflembroidery.com/
:
:I particularly like some of these:
:http://aflembroidery.secure-mall.com...shop=1&cat=17&

is what Dawne is responding to. It was posted just over an hour
before she posted.

(this is why quoting from the message you're responding to is a good
idea).

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Poppies (Art-Stitch), two knitted tops, Oriental Butterfly
Old April 25th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Apr 25, 3:15*am, Jenn Ridley wrote:
flitterbit wrote:
Dawne Peterson wrote:
[...]

I enjoy surface work , but not oin it`s own , it usually `surfaces` in
my work amongst other techniques ,,,
I Sketch the wanted form on a page and than start embroidering .
mirjam

Old April 25th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
flitterbit

Jenn Ridley wrote:
flitterbit wrote:

Dawne Peterson wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much for your helpful reply. As it turns out, LewMews'
original post to this thread has never shown up in my newsreader (and I
don't have any filters on this group).
Old April 25th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

lewmew wrote:

OK - In my travels, I am looking for stuff that's surface work and NOT
flowers or traditional - and probably not sublime stitching either.

This is going to sound like I have been on a bookbuying spree--but another
interesting book is Doodle-Stitching by Aimee Ray. The whole book is about
opening possibilities. There are good stitch directions that would have
been useful when I was starting out, and suggestions about how the stitches
can be used. The designs are derivied from hand drawn "doodles", which
liberates new stitchers from the idea that you must have a pattern or a
transfer. And the projects really open possibilities---embroidering on
clothes, shoes, and lampshades, making lapquilts, I-Pod bags and headbands.
This would be great for a young stitcher, but is a nice fresh creative jolt
for others too.
Dawne

Old April 26th 08, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Apr 25, 6:18*pm, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:
lewmew wrote:
[...]

Thank you for this post , i never saw this name of book or the
writer ,
i make my own surface embroidery. Lately i had a lady who came for
advice on this subject , she had an idea , but couldn`t work it out ,
i gave her several excercizes to be able to make her OWN surface
work ..
1 enlarge a photo she took /take a thin math paper , lay photo under
math paper hold it on a glass window and trace the lines that interest
her . Than she could use this as her pattern for embroidery [ math
squares made it easier to decided which stichh yo use on each part.
2 use a Part of a Famousd classical painting ,, choose a part and work
only with the COLOURS she can find in that part on a series of ovals /
triangles she prepared with sewing thread ,,,,,
mirjam
Old April 26th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Mirjam wrote

Thank you for this post , i never saw this name of book or the
writer ,
i make my own surface embroidery. Lately i had a lady who came for
advice on this subject , she had an idea , but couldn`t work it out ,
i gave her several excercizes to be able to make her OWN surface
work ..
1 enlarge a photo she took /take a thin math paper , lay photo under
math paper hold it on a glass window and trace the lines that interest
her .

Here's a link
http://www.amazon.com/Doodle-Stitchi.../dp/1600590616
The designs really could begin as doodles, the kind of thing you would draw
in the margins of a notebook, really unintimidating for people beginning to
think of putting their own ideas on fabric.
Dawne