Question about company DMC

Old February 6th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Barbara[_4_]

Default Question about company DMC

Jenn Ridley wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Since all the stores seem to be getting rid of DMC Floss.
(walmart,hancock) Are they going out of Business

It seems unlikely.

DMC's US distribution system has been skewing toward needlework stores
for the last decade or so, as the big box stores started getting more
demanding.

DMC has been being pressured by W*M, et al, to drop the cost of floss
to them every year, and (iirc) W*M and Hancock's have been losing
money on each skein of floss, making it up on other things purchased.
W*M especially is all about 'cheaper this year than last'. At some
point, the suppliers either go broke or stop supplying them. HF
started down that path a few years ago -- their prices dropped, but
the quality of items dropped even further. (HF stopped carrying
VoguePatterns at one point because Vogue wouldn't give them the same
purchasing discount as McCall would (this was before McCall bought
Vogue/Butterick).)

Most JoAnns and Michael's still carry DMC (at higher prices than W*M
and HF) although some of the smaller stores may not have the full
collection.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Poppies (Art-Stitch), two knitted tops, Oriental Butterfly

Thank You very much for the information.Since I do not have a chain that
carries the Floss. I have my daughter purchase for from AC More and
Michaels.
Have a local fabric store(that just opened 3 months ago) that carries a
little of the colors at 70 cent piece.If I run out great place to go,if
I need one or two.
Barbara