Focus on Design: Pine Tree Blocks and Tops

Old November 28th 05, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Focus on Design: Pine Tree Blocks and Tops

Focus on Design is my every-once-in-a-while feature. I offer a
specific quilt top block or style for discussion. I include some
links to get the conversation. NAYY. Please contribute your own
resources.

This is not the place to talk about Granny's dentures, nor
favorite movie, nor even your stash! Those topics may draw
interest in another thread, but not here, please. Here, we talk
about the actual subject! G So, what is your opinion and/or
experience of Pine Tree Quilt Tops?

The only Pine Tree quilts I've made were actually two small WH.
For both I made a very simple trees, each of one 'peaky' triangle
and a short trunk. Each is green on white, and has a red border.
Simple but effective WH for Winter season.

Simply Quilts has some discussion on this theme:
http://tinyurl.com/8dxzu
OR
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...374052,00.html

Here is one simple block pattern:
http://tinyurl.com/822g9

A few versions from McCall's:
http://tinyurl.com/7d6bx
http://tinyurl.com/d9opu

Quiltmaker offers a different style:
http://tinyurl.com/ba3a3

Here is a variation, incorporating a pine tree in a log cabin
quilt. http://tinyurl.com/9kfqv
Do you like this idea, or do you prefer the traditional tree
blocks, used alone?

What do you think about the Pine Tree theme?

PAT in VA, where we have quite a few lovely pine trees!
Old November 28th 05, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:09:45 -0600, Pat in Virginia wrote
(in article HkDif.14848$Mi5.3157@dukeread07):

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...3299_1374052,0

0.html

Here is one simple block pattern:
http://tinyurl.com/822g9

A few versions from McCall's:
http://tinyurl.com/7d6bx
http://tinyurl.com/d9opu

Quiltmaker offers a different style:
http://tinyurl.com/ba3a3

Here is a variation, incorporating a pine tree in a log cabin
quilt. http://tinyurl.com/9kfqv
Do you like this idea, or do you prefer the traditional tree
blocks, used alone?

What do you think about the Pine Tree theme?

PAT in VA, where we have quite a few lovely pine trees!

I've never actually made one of these. All those little triangles in a
traditional pine tree scare me.

What I'd be interested in knowing is how many of you have seen or made one
htat is NOT in Christmas colors. All those that I've seen have been
Christmas quilts.

Maureen

Old November 28th 05, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I love the look of the traditional pine tree block, but I've never attempted
one. I think one in scrappy greens with a little dark purple or dark blue
tossed in would be kind of neat (I may try that when I get all my other WIPs
under control!). I have, however, made some of the simplified version using
Thimbleberries designs. They're very quick and easy, but for pure tradition,
I'd prefer the other one.

I like the idea of two-block quilts, so the pine tree/log cabin combination
got my attention. I think if I were going to do it, though, I'd make a large
traditional pine tree for the center and set it on point rather than
combining four blocks as they did in the example. As an added touch, I think
a border of pine trees would make a nice finish for the quilt.

Thanks for this idea, Pat!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old November 28th 05, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Maureen: One of the McCall's links has a scrappy version, with
many colors. It has a light and airy look. The Quiltmaker version
has only a few 'geese style' triangles. HTH.
Now I need to shut down and go to Jazzercise.
PAT

Old November 28th 05, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Maureen, here's one that is done with black background and orange/flame red
trees:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...374052,00.html
(I see now this is one of the links Pat posted. Really should read
everything before posting myself!)
This quilt made it onto my "someday" list. I was very much drawn to
traditional block used in non-traditional colors.

I think this block offers opportunities for color play. It can be done in 2
colors (background/tree) or in a multitude of colors, either scrappy/random
or carefully placed areas of color.

As for all those triangles, here's a method I have tried
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...371588,00.html

I have not yet done this for more than a few HST units, but I found it easy
to do, and produced accurate results.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
lobal.net...

Old November 28th 05, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I just used my 6" Omnigrid ruler. It has the 45 degree line on it.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Wendy, when you used this method, did you have a special bias square ruler
like the directions call for or will just a normal ruler with a 45 degree
line work?? It looks interesting...

Jan

"frood" wrote in
om:

Maureen, here's one that is done with black background and
orange/flame red trees:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...TV_3299_137405
2,00.html

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...TV_3299_137158

Old November 28th 05, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

One of Marti Michell's books has a quilt called
"Cardinal in the Pines." It uses the Pine Tree block
with one green/red HST and all the rest green/white
(or green/background, depending on what the
particular quilt is like).

I liked the idea so much that I made a 6" block that
way and put it on a sweatshirt.

Nann

Old November 28th 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I made a dozen pine tree blocks for an exchange some local
friends and I did. The hst's are 1" finished and there are
over 30 on each block. What was I thinking? They took a long
time but are really nice. I used the triangles on a roll so
they would come out perfect (that and I had bought the roll
already for a class) They are tedious to work with but come
out so nice and really most methods of hst's in mass are a
lot of work.
The blocks in my exchange were all fall colors so my
trees are browns and golds with some other
highlights thrown in. I have an assortment of beautiful
blocks for the quilt that never got put together. It needs
to go at the top of my list after the holidays. Maybe if I
start on it in Jan. It will be done for fall next year?
Thanks for the discussion Pat.
Taria

Old November 28th 05, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Pat in Virginia wrote:

So, what is your opinion and/or
experience of Pine Tree Quilt Tops?

I've never made one! I've admired lots, but it's one I've never actually
gotten around to doing.

Do you like this idea, or do you prefer the traditional tree
blocks, used alone?

I'm not crazy about the QuiltMaker version, but I do like the others. I
even like the log cabin/pine tree variation!

What do you think about the Pine Tree theme?

Perhaps the reason I've never made one is that pine trees aren't as
common here as near you, Pat. Not that we don't have them, of course
-- just not as many and not as conveniently located. However, I think
making one has to be along the same lines (in terms of technique and
difficulty) as making Bear's Paw or Feathered Star blocks. Precision
would certainly be a plus, with all of those little half-square triangle
blocks to put together.

PAT in VA, where we have quite a few lovely pine trees!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas -- where we go to the mountains to
see pine trees, except at Christmas. g

http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old November 28th 05, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Nann: Cardinal in the Pines is a cool block. I first saw it at
least 12 years ago, in or on a magazine. Ever since then, I've
had it in back of my mind to make. My idea would be to make a
bunch of blocks with the butterscotch color Cardinal (female),
and just a couple or three with red Cardinal (male) !