Recycling silver

Old March 17th 04, 03:09 PM
Bungadora

Default Recycling silver

I frequently come across broken or one-of earrings when I am working at the
store, and they just get thrown out otherwise. They're Bali silver, so I was
wondering if it is worthwhile collecting these and getting a silversmith to
make something of them someday (plus I have a box of one-of's from myself).

What brings this to mind is that I was walking home from work yesterday, and
spied with my little eye an earring on the bridge walkway. It was a pearl
earring with a Bali spacer and sterling silver findings, so I thought to myself
I could use it, take it apart and use the pearl somewhere. It was not to be
however. I took a slightly different route home last night because my normal
route is covered with spring mel****er. One block from home, I spotted a woman
on the sidewalk shaking out her scarf and looking around on the ground for
something. Rats! I thought. I caught up with her just where our paths would
have diverged and asked her if she had lost her earring. Of course. The pearl
earring was hers. She was happy to get her earring back, and said she had lost
them before (hook type) but they always came back.

Anyway, had I kept it, I was thinking I would have melted down the silver.

Enough lollygagging. I gotta go to work.
Dora
Old March 17th 04, 07:22 PM
Dr. Sooz

I frequently come across broken or one-of earrings when I am working at the
store, and they just get thrown out otherwise.

Jeez! Does the world STILL not recycle?
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 17th 04, 07:23 PM
Dr. Sooz

I frequently come across broken or one-of earrings when I am working at the
store, and they just get thrown out otherwise. They're Bali silver, so I was
wondering if it is worthwhile collecting these and getting a silversmith to
make something of them someday (plus I have a box of one-of's from myself).

YES YES YES. It's worth it. I collect those myself. (I find them on the
street sometimes.) You could do it yourself.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 17th 04, 10:15 PM
Jalynne

I have the same question about gold scraps. I find myself the proud owner of several
mis matched pairs of earrings...LOL. Do we have anyone on the group who works with
14K? I'd much rather recycle within the group.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list
See what DH is up to at http://www.teamintraining.org/participant/kinney-162652

Old March 17th 04, 11:53 PM
Christina Peterson

Marisa (AU) and Barbara Otterson. Possibly Shirley Shone.

Tina

hlink.net...

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
I frequently come across broken or one-of earrings when I am working at

the
store, and they just get thrown out otherwise. They're Bali silver, so

I was
wondering if it is worthwhile collecting these and getting a

silversmith to
make something of them someday (plus I have a box of one-of's from

myself).

YES YES YES. It's worth it. I collect those myself. (I find them on

the
street sometimes.) You could do it yourself.
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old March 18th 04, 12:11 AM
Jalynne

Ah, ok...cool.. SO i can send both gold and silver scraps to the same person. That
makes it easy.
--

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
Marisa (AU) and Barbara Otterson. Possibly Shirley Shone.

Tina

hlink.net...

Old March 18th 04, 12:36 AM
Bungadora

Sooz sez:

YES YES YES. It's worth it. I collect those myself. (I find them on the
street sometimes.) You could do it yourself.
~~

Well, a friend used to live with a man who did silver smithing in the basement,
but I'm not so sure I could do it without burning the house down. How do people
become silver smiths anyway?
Dora

Old March 18th 04, 12:42 AM
Dr. Sooz

Can't you just attach the pieces to a chain -- like charms? That's what I do.
But maybe you found some kind of earring I'm not thinking of right.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 18th 04, 12:48 AM
Jalynne

Oh, it's a hoop earring...small in diameter, but very wide. Also several broken
posts, stones missing, weird stuff like that. Nothing that could really be used for
anything useful as is.

Old March 18th 04, 01:43 AM
Christina Peterson

Metal can be reused, but metal smiths do need to know the metal contact.
Sterling is good. Adding Hill Tribe silver would not allow the jeweler to
claim the metal as Sterling silver. Same for gold. It has to be solid and
not plated or gold-filled. And it will make a difference what karat it is.

Odd metals might be useful for playing and experimentation. But most metal
workers don't have the facilities to refine the metals.

Tina