All I can say is WOW on topic

Old January 5th 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default All I can say is WOW on topic

In article ,
"Taria" wrote:

I am confused why the aunt shouldn't spend the money
on a quality machine (if she can afford it). Anyone
that has ever learned to sew on a pos machine can
appreciate how great it would be to have access to
a nice machine. Lots of areas still have 4-H groups
that would be a good place for her to learn to sew.
I hope the auntie has fostered a life long joy for the
child.
Taria

I can't help but agree, Taria. If my second machine had been my first,
I'd probably never have sewn another stitch. G Thank heavens my first
machine was a dream (biggest mistake of my sewing life to have traded
it for a zigzag machine when double knits came out!), which gave me hope
for a better experience the next time around.

Perhaps the aunt, since she did attend the trade show, is hoping to
spend some time sewing with her niece. At the very least, she's trying
to make her niece's sewing experience a happy one.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 5th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

That's kind of what I thought. My consellation thought is her mother
will get a good teacher. And in the end if sewing isn't her thing maybe
it will find it's way to my house. Her parents have been so kind to us.
They send us the girls clothes and some toys. Paying for all the
shipping and handling to do so which isn't cheap. The last batch of
boxes was about $100 to send. So I need to get busy maybe sewing her
some pot holders and other things to send to her.
Joanna

amy in CNY wrote:
WOW! is right! (pass the word to "Auntie" that I'm adoptable!)

amy in CNY

Old January 5th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default Oshawa, Ontario...??? All I can say is WOW on topic

She lives in Oshawa, Ontario. So sorry your too far away. Anyone else
live close though. I know Lynn is in TO but that is quite the travelling
distance plus I know she works full time as well.
Any takers?
Joanna

NanaWilson wrote:
Oh! My! Where does this very lucky child live? I am here ta offer me
services for ta teach her ta sew on this most wonderful machine G I am
not that great but I can sew a straight line or curvy what ever the pattern
calls for. I can, however, sew a good 1/4 of an inch seam!! AND I hve had
some great kids adopt me recently!!!

Nana In COLD MD.

"Joanna" wrote in message
One of my surrogate kids who is 13 just received a very good Janome for
xmas. Her mom says auntie was at a trade show and thought she would like
it. This is her first sewing machine. Auntie spent more then $800 on it.

This is so wrong in so many ways. I think that's way too much to spend on
a child that may or may not ever even use the machine. It took me over
12yrs of sewing to justify spending $800 on my machine. Now her mom who
has very limited sight is trying to find someone to come into their home
and show her how to sew something small to get her used to the machine.
Which hopefully she will find someone. Glad she has a smart mom, but
auntie could use a slap. This auntie figures if she spends the money that
will make up for the time she doesn't spend with the kids.

So I hope she at least learns to use the machine properly and maybe one
day she will like it and branch out from hemming and the small stuff.
Still waiting for pics of the machine but not holding my breath. The 13
doesn't think sending pics is a priority.
Joanna

Old January 5th 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default Taria.. All I can say is WOW on topic

Oh I agree it's great to start with a wonderful machine and not one
plagued with problems. But I'm sure you can get a decent machine for
less and still foster her growth as a sewer or quilter.I do really
secretly hope she loves it as much as I do.

This is an interesting situation. Biologically she is my child. (My egg,
but the husbands sperm) But her parents and I are very close. So
watching her grow up has truly been a joy. To watch the things that she
developes because of her parents and other things she likes because of
her genetics is really strange.
Joanna

Old January 5th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default Jennellh... All I can say is WOW on topic

No actually I acted as a surrogate but I am very close with the family.
We even all lived together for a period of time. Biologically she is my
child (my egg and the husbands sperm). However I do feel more like an
auntie. Auntie has absolutely no interest in sewing/quilting or anything
crafty. Auntie would spend the money to buy a good quilt but with no
clue about all that goes into one. I realize now my post sounds a little
harsh it wasn't really meant to be harsh. I'm glad the child has a good
machine. I also worry that auntie is getting more and more eccentric. I
was smiling the whole time I wrote the post.
Take Care
Joanna

Jennifer in Ottawa wrote:
Assuming that Auntie was at a trade show, she has some sort of
interest in sewing/craft/needleart herself?? Who is to say that she
doesn't have inside knowledge from her niece that the desire to learn
about sewing is real? It really isn't your place to criticize this
gift or the intention with which it was given - you acted as surrogate
- period. jennellh

Old January 5th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Default Betsey... All I can say is WOW on topic

Umh, yes I do know when Auntie spends time with the kids I am that close
to the family. Yes Auntie did score a deal, which I'm thankful for that.
What you say about your sister is true about this situation for sure.
She makes good money and wouldn't blink twice at what she spent. I was
more looking for responses on spending so much on a child that has no
clue. Have since changed my mind and think learning on such a great
machine has the possibility to lead to good things.
Joanna

betsey wrote:
delurking a bit here....
first, you don't know the finances involved. It could be that the
aunt can well afford the machine...plus, at a trade show, i bet she
scored a deal. AND, you really don't know if the aunt spends time or
not with the kids.

I have a sister who is VERY weathlthy. both she and her husband earn
a good living. what is "normal" to spend on things in their household
is not normal in most....so, I can't really slam my sister for how she
spends money. what's normal for her, is extravagent to me. That she
treats my children well....thankyou for being such a nice aunt!

Betsey

Old January 5th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I guess money is a relative thing. What is a lot to some
not so much to others.

You are in an interesting situation. I have 2 adopted sisters.
My folks met each bio mom when they were pregnant. Both
girls have been reunited with mixed results. My dad
keeps in contact with the bio moms at this point but it
would have not been workable when my mom was alive.
She would have been very threatened.
I am glad you can make this work for you. It takes a
special person to do that.
Taria

news

Old January 5th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

It's surely a lot of money, but we do keep telling people who want to
buy a machine for their kids not to waste money on a junk toy. Get a
real machine, right? I learned on my mom's Elna, which was a really
good machine back in the dark ages. Probably cost an equivalent amount
back then. My mom hated to sew, only did it when necessary, but still
didn't have to justify owning a good machine. For all I know, grandma
bought it for her, because my parents never had much money. But just
because someone is on a tight budget doesn't mean she's not worthy of
a good machine, whatever her level of expertise. Maybe auntie could
have found a good machine for less, but it doesn't sound like money is
the real issue.
Roberta in D

Old January 5th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

When my mom sent me my sewing machine, I had never really sewn
anything more than a couple of hems in flannel spit up rags and a
matching set of night shirts for my newborn son and my 6'4" husband.
Yes, I said matching. And I never sewed anything before. It was
laughable, but we do have a photo somewhere with both of them wearing
the garments. Briefly.

Mom bought a machine for me that was way beyond my capacity or ability
or anything. Granted, I was approaching 50, but age doesn't imply
ability. Mom knew I didn't know how to thread a machine. She had
discovered the benefits of a really fine machine and just passed that
on when she had the chance. I'm grateful to her. If I'd had a a
machine that required struggle or frustration, I wouldn't have
persevered. My Janome 5700 was fun and easy and a really good
introduction to sewing for me, even if I never became the seamstress
my mom hoped I would. I will never make my own clothes.

This is my long way of saying that the aunt did a wonderful thing. If
the girl has a chance of learning to sew on a really good machine, at
least she won't mistake sewing machine malfunction for her own
ineptitude. I would also say that in this day and age, $800 is not
that much for a sewing machine. Think how long we keep sewing machine.
Ten years? Well that turns out to about $80 a year on that machine.
And if she's still using it 20 years from now? Even better. I know
thrift is important. I also know that you do get what you pay for and
quality isn't cheap. Better she get a good one at the start and learn
how it feels to use a good sewing machine.

Sunny
Old January 5th 10, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

I'm coming late to this thread and think all of the relevant points have
already been made. That said, I will say this. I got my Juki TL98Q
yesterday. In the hour I played with it, I went from hating machine
quilting to loving it. Yep, that's the difference a good machine can make.

I will still continue to quilt some quilts by hand, but I am glad to be
able to expand my repertoire with the machine quilting. I've got quilt
tops in the closet needing to be quilted and I've just been stalled on
them until now.

If I hadn't had the patience for hand-piecing and quilting, I might have
given up as I've never had a really good machine for quilting, and while
I've got two good (but inexpensive) machines for piecing, I've also had
a real loser in that category too. Frustration can surely take the joy
out of even the most lovely quilt top.

So I guess, I think there's a lot wisdom in a new quilter having as much
machine as she can afford.

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada