Dry Hands/Fingers

Old October 3rd 04, 01:59 AM
Beadseeker

Our CVS has shea butter, both by itself and combined with cocoa butter.
Patti
Old October 3rd 04, 05:33 AM
Christina Peterson

Keep in mind, any of the stuff that sinks in instead of staying oily/sticky
on your skin, doesn't work as well. The solution to it is using cotton
gloves, like Marjean mentioned.

Tina

"Margie" wrote in message
I haven't been around due to a busy schedule. Usually our schedule
slows down as soon as summer is over, not this year. I look at my
calendar and see that almost every day has something written on it.
But this isn't how it's supposed to be, I wanna bead! ;=)

So every moment I get to myself, I've been working on a necklace using
Cheryl's glass beads. I've taught myself the spiral weave and I love
it! I must be an official beader now because my right hand is dry and
my index finger is starting to crack and catch on my thread. I'm
currently using Keri Lotion to keep it at bay but hoping that someone
else a better idea. I don't like the perfume smell. Help!

--
Margie
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our

Old October 3rd 04, 07:29 AM
Kalera Stratton

Margie, try getting a tube of Lansinoh in the babycare section at the
grocery store; it's denatured lanolin used to prevent and treat dry,
cracked nipples in breastfeeding moms. Works wonders on dry, cracked
fingers too!

I also love Aquaphor, which is basically just a big tub of grease. I
bought a giant 14 oz tub to help heal the scar when I had to have a lump
removed from my breast while I was pregnant with Sam... that was over
five years ago now, and I still have most of the tub despite using it
daily on my lips and hands. A little goes a long, long way!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old October 3rd 04, 07:35 AM
Kalera Stratton

This is so true! My DH was all dry and itchy and tended to have chapped
lips when I got him. I changed his diet to include lots of olive oil,
and now his coat is smooth and supple, and his nose is cool and dry.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Arondelle wrote:
-snip-
Alternatively, add more olive oil to your diet. Fat is necessary in the
diet, but too many people have cut it out altogether, leaving them with
dry, itchy skin -- and without a clue why. Olive oil is good for you.

-snip-
Arondelle

Old October 3rd 04, 07:36 AM
Kalera Stratton

Kathy, it IS NOT actually called that! You are making that up - you have
to be! "Foot and Problem Area Cream"? LOL!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:

I have cracked feet as well, and found a different solution to the
problem. I use Alpha-Hydrox Foot and Problem Area Cream. Again,
it's unscented (I'm weird about that stuff), but more importantly, it
has a great exfoliant in it. I put a dab on my feet and wear socks
to bed, and the cracking goes away.

Than, because I am lazy, I stop doing it, and the cracking comes
back. Repeat above procedure. I use a pumice stone on my heels too
(when I can bend enough to reach them), and that's made a tremendous
difference, too.

Bob laughs about the socks in bed, but he's also very happy that he
doesn't get stuck warming my icy feet.

Kathy N-V

Old October 3rd 04, 07:37 AM
Kalera Stratton

Yes, that's what I use on my badgers to keep them smooth and supple, and
prevent chapping.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Christina Peterson wrote:
A good alternative to Bag Balm, without the "mentholyptus", is Badger Balm.
Smells much better and works on molds for PMC, which Bag Balm does not do.
Light winter mint smell.

Tina

"Arondelle" wrote in message

Margie wrote:

I must be an official beader now because my right hand is dry and
my index finger is starting to crack and catch on my thread. I'm
currently using Keri Lotion to keep it at bay but hoping that someone
else a better idea. I don't like the perfume smell. Help!

Udder Ointment, AKA Bag Balm. Used by dairy farmers to treat chapped
udders. The cows love it -- and the farmers noticed that it keeps their
hands soft and smooth. The cows love *that*, too. :-D

Wicked greasy, though, and smells of eucylptus and menthol (think Vick's
Vaporub). However, if you apply it before going to bed, work it in well
and wear cotton gloves, in the morning you have soft hands without the
smell and the treatment lasts all day.

Alternatively, add more olive oil to your diet. Fat is necessary in the
diet, but too many people have cut it out altogether, leaving them with
dry, itchy skin -- and without a clue why. Olive oil is good for you.

I use Avon's Moisture Therapy hand cream occasionally, but that also has
that chemical perfume smell. I also use Avon's Moisture Therapy Aloe
and Chamomile body lotion on my terribly cracked feet, which smells
better. (I am not in the habit of getting my feet anywhere near my
nose, but I *do* have to apply the stuff with my hands, you silly thing!)

Arondelle
--
================================================ ===========
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Old October 3rd 04, 01:40 PM
Margie

SPLORT!

Old October 3rd 04, 01:55 PM
Margie

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:29:08 -0700, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

Margie, try getting a tube of Lansinoh in the babycare section at the
grocery store; it's denatured lanolin used to prevent and treat dry,
cracked nipples in breastfeeding moms. Works wonders on dry, cracked
fingers too!

I had a tube of nipple cream (thankfully didn't have to use it). I
think I dumped it a year or so ago because it smelled funky to me.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Didn't have a chance to go to the store yesterday so I rubbed some
petroleum jelly over the worse spots before going to bed. Feels a
little better already. Not bad considering I don't have any white
cotton gloves.

Now I'm armed with lots of ideas and a shopping list.

BTW, we do have fat in our diet, my husband has skin like a baby, my
baby's eczema rarely reared it's ugly head this year and me? Well,
I'm fully into menopause, olive oil and other fats just aren't enough.
Help is on it's way! g

Old October 3rd 04, 04:02 PM
Arondelle

Margie wrote:
BTW, we do have fat in our diet, my husband has skin like a baby, my
baby's eczema rarely reared it's ugly head this year and me? Well,
I'm fully into menopause, olive oil and other fats just aren't enough.
Help is on it's way! g

Ah! Well, why didn't you say so. :-)

I'm past menopause, and am diabetic, which also contributes to dry skin.
I've always had dry skin, especially on my hands; when I altered my
diet because of the diabetes, my skin actually improved. Moderate
amounts of fats in the diet help the body to absorb the sugar in the
blood at a more even rate. Increasing the amount of olive oil, as
opposed to fats from meat or corn, safflower, or tropical oils has kept
my blood sugar and cholesterol down and most of my skin un-dry.

My dry feet seem to be a product of the diabetic neuropathy: with fewer
live nerve cells in my foot skin, they don't know when to sweat or
produce oil. It's very, um, unnerving to have completely unsweaty feet;
they get very hot in warm weather, sometimes painfully so. The Avon
product that I use on my feet has chamomile essence in it which is very
soothing, pain-wise, so I get a double benefit.