layout advice

Old March 6th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default layout advice

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...53918257aXHZIP

I've moved them around, deleted some, made new ones......what do we think of
this layout and placement?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old March 6th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

On Row 6: move the purple background that's next to the red (#5) and the
blue with blue center (#8) that is below the other blue with blue center.
Anyway, that's the way the colors look on my compie. They get 'lost' where
they are. Maybe move the purple to the left one space and the blue to the
right one space. The bottom 2 rows are way too dark for me to cipher.
HTH

Butterfly

Old March 6th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

"KJ" wrote in message

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...53918257aXHZIP

I've moved them around, deleted some, made new ones......what do we think
of this layout and placement?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Well all the fabrics are gorgeous so it is hard to quibble. But I think
you are trying to make a gradation so here is my 2cents:
When I sort of squint at the layout (to try and get a feel for the
values) I notice that some of the ovals contrst with their backgrounds
and some do not. You might want to take that into account......(I think
that making the image greyscale (or making a photocopy) is supposed to
make it easeier to see this) So I would try to group or align the
blocks no only from light to dark backgrounds but also according to
their "contrastiness"
HTH
Allison
Old March 6th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I think I agree with Butterfly. It seems you've done a gradation. I'd be
more inclined to mix them up differently and not do a gradation. The bottom
2 rows are really too dark.Just my thoughts.
Gen

Old March 6th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I'll take some black and white pics and see if I can do more sorting from
that perspective. Good idea, thanks!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old March 6th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Well, Kathyl, you asked so I'll have to climb in too. The orderly
arrangement of light to dark disturbs me. Somehow, it doesn't seem to play
nice with your beautiful fabrics. I see that there's a happier arrangement
picture when you were just making them. Except, of course, for the 2 zebras
side-by-side, the random placement seems joyful. I would explain if I
understood. Polly (hating that we're not close enough to come play with
your wonderful blocks)

Old March 6th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I may spend a day just shuffling them and throwing them up on the wall now
that I know how many I want. I have a reject pile of a 8 more blocks that
just don't play nicely with the others. By taking the digital pictures, I
can go back to a previous arrangement a lot easier than without one. Thanks
for the suggestion. I'm not locked into any one setting yet. Though I'm
kinda glad it's inconvenient to take them to my small group meeting. That's
too many opinions all being voiced at once! Then people start picking them
up and moving them to the point you don't know what goes where. And since
it's on someone's living room floor, it's darned hard to replicate it when I
get home. This is much better. Putting the picture up, reading the
suggestions and responses, considering them, and then doing whatever I want
in the end. Thanks!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old March 6th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Well . . . see, Kathyl, there's this - a design wall is a wonderful tool.
You'd get hurt trying to take mine away from me. However, I was thinking
how the arrangement would look on a bed. Maybe that's what you ought to
play with. Sack 'em up and go put them on a bed in whatever happens order
or disorder until it sings. I feel your pain. My heart strings quilt has
something nearing 200 heart blocks. Getting them placed took some doing and
I needed it to be the melody I was hearing. Nope, I don't think I'd want a
group taking that away from me. It's MY quilt. It's quite something to
be in a position of 'help me, help me' and 'leave me alone'. Let them rest.
Your blocks will tell you when they're happy. Polly

Old March 6th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

I would mix'em up - darks all mixed in with the lights and mediums.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

Old March 6th 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Do you have a digital camera?

Photograph each quilt block, and trim the picture. Then you
can load all the blocks into a drawing program and shuffle
them around like tiles - much easier on the back and
legs lol

I loaded my last lot of blocks (about 2 years ago) into EQ.
It was fun to play with them there, but it would have been
real hard work for me to shuffle the real things around on
either a board or the floor.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

"KJ" wrote in message
: I'll take some black and white pics and see if I can do
more sorting from
: that perspective. Good idea, thanks!
:
: --