New quilt project

Old March 1st 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default New quilt project

I think I must be going out of my mind. My wife and I are going back
to California for our 35th wedding anniversary, this summer. We, of
course, will get together with my 4 brothers and sisters. I am
thinking about doing 4 identical quilts to take back and give to each
of them as a surprise gift. Has anybody ever done 4 identical quilts
and retained their sanity? They probably would not be complicated
designs so that element would be eliminated. Maybe single Irish Chain
in three colors, or 4 patch or something like that and about 72"
square. I would ship them out UPS to a friend and have them there when
we arrive so they don't get lost on the flight out there.
The genesis for this idea stems from my mother who knitted 8 Irish
Fisherman Sweaters for her children and their spouses on Christmas,
one year. When she passed them out we were all blown away. 8 identical
sweaters! I think it would be that kind of moment with the quilts. All
the same colors and all the same patterns. Maybe if I did them between
other projects it would not seem so overwhelming. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

John

Old March 1st 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Sounds amazing! How big are you planning? Piecing four
quilts the same (in blocks) wouldn't worry me, but quilting
them sure would! How long do you have for this marathon
project?

Your mother's precedent of making the jumpers identical
might preclude this, but I made two quilts "the same" for
two sisters (8 & 10yo) but included one tiny difference and
told them they had to find it for themselves. It took them
two days and a lot of looking.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
:
:
: John
:

Old March 1st 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

I would make identical patterns, but different colors. Wouldn't get nearly
as boring and would be more individual to each recipient.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

oups.com...

Old March 1st 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Boofhead Donuthttp://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"John" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

I am thinking 6 foot square or a bit less depending on the pattern and
how it fleshes out due to the design limitations. We have to be there
on the 15th of July or thereabouts. I have a Janome 1600p longer arm
machine so the quilting doesn't worry me. The thought of doing that
much piecing of all the same thing is what worries me though. Why do I
get myself into these things?

John

Old March 1st 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 28, 7:34 pm, "Donna in Idaho"
wrote:
I would make identical patterns, but different colors. Wouldn't get nearly
as boring and would be more individual to each recipient.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

"John" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I had, of course thought of that but, then you would get the"I want
the red one", "no I want the red one", "you take the blue one", "no,
the blue one clashes with my drapes". We are the original prototype of
the fighting Irish family. I know of what I speak. The previously
mentioned sweater gift at Christmas scenario, also makes me think that
the drama of the thing would be enhanced. Who knows, I my enjoy doing
that many of the same thing if I space them between other projects. I
want to try to avoid the "night before the flight leaves marathon
quilting scenario", if you know what I mean. With a simple enough
design and assembly line cutting I might just pull it off.

John

Old March 1st 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

John wrote:
[...]

Wow - if I could do 4 quilts of any design before the summer I would die
of shock!!

Sounds a fantastic gift, good luck!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old March 1st 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 28, 7:50 pm, Sally Swindells
wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)http://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

Well, when you are retired and all the kids are gone out of state and
it is the middle of winter and you live in Ohio, you will have plenty
of time to finish quilts. That and an obsessive preoccupation, and
manic work ethic.

John

Old March 1st 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

a really great idea giving them all quilts.
i see your point about the arguing over who gets which colour.
so......
if you're thinking of irish chain,
how bout using the same colours but in different order on each one.
oops single, eh.
well how bout do a Double Irish Chain.
use Two Colours Reversing Position for quilt #1 and #2.
then perhaps use 2 different border fabrics.
then use those border fabrics as the chains in #3 and #4.
with chain fabs from #1 and #2 as the borders on #3 and #4.
clear as mud, eh.
they'd all be similar but each one slightly different from each of the
others.
or some such idea as that.
still think'n on that one.

oh and shipping anyway is just as likely to vanish enroute as on a plane.
i'd carry them onboard if it were me. they should fold up small enough for
each of you to carry two of them, even that big size.
of course you could 'wear' them on the plane. )
hell, i wore home 21yds of fabric and carried about that much again in my
bag. it can be done, just fold it up nice and flat. oh and that was on both
a domestic usa flight and then onto an international flight to get home.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

oups.com...

Old March 1st 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

You're getting lots of support & ideas from everyone John. Personally,
having just made an Irish Chain - it'll be a long time before I make another
one. I found it really difficult to do the same thing over & over & over.
However, not everyone has that same response. If you do the Irish Chain -
how about personalizing each one & in your center block of each chain, use a
novelty fabric that reflects something personal about the intended
recipient? Maybe if they live at the beach, use a beach scene fabric, if
they are bowlers, use a bowling novelty, etc. You are pretty amazing - 4
completed quilts by July. Makes me tired thinking about it! (Two years ago
I made 4 table runners for Xmas gifts & I thought I was doing a lot!)

Pauline
Northern California
"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

new project & placing a quilt value Ann Quilting 8 July 1st 06 09:19 PM
Red Lake Mem. Quilt Project commitments so far Dreamweaver Quilting 2 May 7th 05 02:08 AM
Minkee quilt project DQLTS Quilting 0 January 31st 05 06:01 PM
latest project/MIL quilt DQLTS Quilting 9 October 19th 04 03:23 AM
Musings on the Quilt-Em-All Project..... Listpig Quilting 1 October 15th 04 06:35 AM