How wide of a cut

Old February 17th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

Default How wide of a cut

I want to make a double binding (ie: folded in half and then sewn on and
hand stitched to the backside.

How wide is the norm for cutting this type of binding? Or is there a set
norm or is it simply personal preference?

Just an inquiring mind.
I know what I did, but what would you do?

~KK in BC~
http://www.myspace.com/canadaapples

Old February 17th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

all depends on how big you want the binding to be finished on one side.
iirc, cut about 2.5 inch.
consider the 2.5" size....
fold in half, stitch with 1/4" (there goes 1/2", leaving 2"), then fold
round the quilt edge and stitch it down. leaves a tad under(cuz of the
thickness of the quilt) 1/2" binding.
smaller quilts look better with smaller bindings and bigger quilts with
bigger bindings.
tis personal preference tho for sure.
fwiw,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"~KK in BC~" wrote...

Old February 17th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tracey

"~KK in BC~" wrote in message

How wide is the norm for cutting this type of binding? Or is there a set
norm or is it simply personal preference

Personal preference. Anywhere from 2" to 3" is not unheard of. Most of the
time I use 2 1/4" or 2 1/2", but it depends on the loft of the batting I am
using in the quilt....a wider binding seems to work better for a loftier
batting. Keep in mind that you want the binding to be 'full' but not
overstuffed...if your binding is too wide it will be flat and empty looking.

Old February 17th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

I always wrap the binding snugly around the edge of the quilt. No way for
it to be flat when I do it that way.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

"Tracey" wrote in message
. net...

Old February 17th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I cut a wider strip than most for binding. For a standard
French mitred double binding I cut 3.25" and sew with the
edge lined up with the edge of the walking foot. The wrap
to the back goes over the stitching line and the finished
binding is just over 1/2". This is fine on larger quilts or
those with simple piecing. It started because my beginner
quilters found it easier to sew the bindings with a walking
foot, and lining up with the edge of the foot kept
everything easy. However if you do this type of binding
onto pieced blocks (no plain border) you need to allow for
the wider "seam" on the edge. As I have all my students
stay stitch their quilts before trimming the edges for
binding (yes, we trim before sewing on the binding - again,
not everyone's choice) they can trim to allow the extra
width in the bound edge and not lose any of the piecing in
the blocks.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

:

Old February 17th 07, 11:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I cut mine 2.5", so that after folding, stitching etc. the binding comes out
about 3/8". Seems just right to me, YMMD.
Roberta in D

Old February 17th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I am a 2 1/2" person. I like how it looks and gives me enough fabric to make
a neat binding without having to go through contortions to get it to turn. I
have tried it smaller and larger, but am never happy with how it looks.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old February 17th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I like to use my walking foot for sewing on binding too. I move my
needle over to the right until it is exactly 1/4" from the edge of the
foot, so I can use the edge of the foot as a guide. For me, a 2-1/4 inch
strip gives me a nice 1/4" binding, with plenty to turn to the back.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 17th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I agree a 1/4" binding looks perfect on many quilts. But
not all machines have needle positioning to the right of
centre, only to the left. If a new quilter gets a good
result the first time they bind, they are more likely to try
a more demanding narrow binding (or piped binding) with
confidence in the future. So I let them start with the
wider binding and then decide where they want to go next
time.

I have used bindings as wide as 2" wide on my own quilts.
That one took 12.5" wide strips cut length-wise from the
fabric. I don't remember exactly but I think the KS quilt
required over 3.5metres of fabric for the binding! But it
was worth it. That quilt has taken a LOT of punishment over
the years and the binding hasn't stretched or worn at all
and it still looks good when just washed (when not just
washed it can look awful, but that's not my fault lol).

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
Enness Boofhead Donut
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Julia in MN" wrote
in message ...
: CATS wrote:
[...]
: --
: This message has been scanned for viruses by Norton
Anti-Virus
:

Wide quilt backing Bonnie NJ Quilting 7 February 14th 07 07:10 PM
Wide back fabrics niasha Quilting 0 October 31st 06 08:20 PM
60" wide flannel Heather Michna Quilting 3 April 30th 05 06:16 PM
A lot of fabric? and 36" wide? nbhilyard Quilting 6 April 26th 04 05:15 PM
wide rings, and sizing - help Des Bromilow Jewelry 12 February 6th 04 03:06 AM