OT - my life just to let you all know (LONG)

Old September 6th 03, 04:44 AM
Kaytee

In article , Deirdre S.
writes:

I wish we'd get over the idea of 'standardized' education, and offer
more options in public schools.

Unfortunately, it's like with cable TV... over 200 channels of the same 5
shows.... Kids that do well in classrooms are rewarded with "GATE" status, and
allowed self-paced independant study... kids that can't conform to classroom
"society" are forced to stay in standard classrooms.

And when a good option does come up for problem kids-- like small classes with
specially trained teachers-- everybody else wants that, too, and the kids that
NEED it no longer have it because there aren't enough teachers and classrooms
to meet the demand. And they can't discriminate....

To get my problem child accepted into a "special program" took a couple of
years of fighting with the school district-- and him getting a "third strike"
at his regular middle school. And even after everybody with authority agreed he
needed THAT special program, it still took over 3 months to actually get him IN
the program. Then, after a couple of years, the program emphasis was changed
(so previously "unqualified" students could be in it), and it no longer served
the needs of the original students. Of course, he then "failed" again....

It was nearly a full time job fighting with the school district from 6th
through 12th grade... on top of the full time job riding herd on him....
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old September 6th 03, 04:44 AM
Kaytee

In article vpR5b.358092$uu5.69935@sccrnsc04, "Helen C"
writes:

Is creative use of duct tape legal?

Probably not. Doesn't work, either....

Old September 6th 03, 04:44 AM
Kaytee

In article , "Helen C"
writes:

He would
be an excellent only child, not the second of five. Needs 100% of my
attention. I'm seeing him either doing great creative things or else
getting into LOTS of trouble ....

Heads up! It's likely to be both.... And your trips to the ER, and to the
school to pick him up are likely to be frequent. Forget about looking for an
outside job for the next dozen years, even if the younger ones are "fine" home
alone. Be prepared to fight with the school district "placement" issues....
I have one of those... much like Cheryl's troublemaker. Mine turns 18 next
month... he might need to find another place to live by the end of the year.

Any suggestions for at home (very) low cost
things to do with him would be greatly appreciated!

You need to find something he's INTERESTED in doing... then figure out how to
do it cheaply and without stinting your other kids.... Karate lessons "worked"
for mine for a few years-- at least it got him out of the house and wore him
out a little. Helped with some motor skills problems, too.

Old September 6th 03, 03:45 PM
Kaytee

In article , vj
writes:

"time outs" work - if they're slightly uncomfortable.

Only if the kid is willing to accept the "time out". Likewise, "making" him/her
clean up a mess, or do anything else for that matter, works only if the kid is
willing to be cooperative.
I've had holes punched into the walls-- "made" the puncher fix it and pay for
the patching materials the first time... then, I fixed a few and made the
perpetuator pay double, then triple the cost of materials... then for a
dry-waller to replace a whole section of wall plus some big patching....
Why didn't I "make" them fix the mess each time?? In addition to it needing to
be done over when they did, after the "first time" for #1 son, he said "****
NO!".... And, he didn't particularly care if he had to pay for the privilage of
punching holes in the wall until losing both his birthday and Christmas money
to pay for the new drywall. The hit to the pocketbook was enough to make #2 son
think about things, but he still has a couple of doors to replace... after all,
his brother "gets away with it", so why shouldn't he? Same thing for "time
outs"... and duck tape doesn't work....

Old September 6th 03, 05:38 PM
Deirdre S.

Could you elaborate on this, please.

I agree with the 'opposite philosophies', and I think that what you
call internal self-control is one of the things we need, and often
aren't taught in any of the contexts of our lives.

How did this happen in the Montessori setting?

Deirdre

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:00:21 -0400, Kathy N-V
wrote:

Montessori taught her a lot of
good methods for internal self-control,

Old September 6th 03, 05:46 PM
Deirdre S.

My experience includes a fair number of well-funded schools which
practiced "one size fits all" education. I am thinking more about the
physical restrictions children tend to be under in the classroom
rather than the curriculum. It leaves the highly kinetic kids in a
bind. They can't sit still, and when they fail, they get labeled as
'behavior problems' and are disciplined for expressing their genuine
nature.

I also suspect your local 'good public school' is more exceptional
than you might think. But I am thrilled with all the stories you tell
about it, and its existence gives me a bit of hope. I wish every
district that could afford to would use some of its successes as a
model for the direction in which to move.

Deirdre

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:08:01 -0400, Kathy N-V
wrote:

The problem, not surprisingly, is money. As soon as the cash gets tight, the
"one size fits all" educational method rears its ugly head. Talk about
penny-wise and pound foolish.

Old September 6th 03, 05:47 PM
Deirdre S.

Yes...

Deirdre

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:14:29 -0700, vj wrote:

and the mindset that "schools are for turning out office
workers".

Old September 6th 03, 06:40 PM
Dr. Sooz

Oh My God. I'm raising my daughter to be a Husky!

Oh! One important suggestion -- get out a sled! Harness her up! Great for
burning off energy. Even a small tire roped to her midsection will help.

haw haw haw haw haw haw haw
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 6th 03, 06:42 PM
Dr. Sooz

Oh My God. I'm raising my daughter to be a Husky!

Crucial: When she does something egregious, throw her to the ground, place your
jaws around her muzzle, and bite down (not too hard, but hard enough) while
growling deep in your throat. Very, very important move on your part.

haw haw haw haw haw haw HAW!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 6th 03, 07:32 PM
Deirdre S.

grinning Only two?

I think what the rest of your message suggests is that while they are
kids, adults need to come up with strategies that work for those
individual kids...

And then, once they become adults, they themselves need to understand
what works for them well enough to negotiate for those terms in any
situation where they have to be able to function well, and not go
nuts.

What I am failing to see in most educational settings -- and then in
most work settings that people 'graduate' to -- is much of that kind
of creative problem-solving ... so the student or worker gets the best
possible experience, and the people co-ordinating things get the best
performance they are capable of.

Now, I don't expect things to be -ideal- in that respect, but they
could be a whole lot less gawdawful than they often are, with a little
bit of stepping back and thinking "How?" instead of "What is wrong
with you? And how can I get you to be the way *I* want you to be?"

Deirdre

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 10:59:41 -0700, vj wrote:

there are two sides to that one. [sorry - i'm often "gifted?" with
seeing both sides of something]