OT-old Starlia posts-long

Old January 4th 05, 04:02 PM
KDK

Well the cats think so eh?

Fortunately I don't usually have anxiety issues (only a few isolated times).
And I'm doing better the past few days. YAY.

Kathy K
"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
news
KDK wrote:
And then there's the fun of being an introvert with clinical depression.

I totally understand what you mean. Although being with people takes
energy, there are times when it's GOOD for me to be with people (even if
I don't want to be), even if it's just talking on the phone, because it
can distract me form the ruminative thoughts and the feelings.

My depressions has been kicking my butt this fall. Thank goodness for
meds! Which is why I've not been keeping in touch with people like I want
to, why my stuff is still in storage, why there's a bunch of stuff I have
to be mailed, why I haven't done anything with lampwork, pmc or beading,
etc. But I'm keeping the cats fed and the bills paid.

Kathy K

Yes, that sort of compounds the problem. I'm also extremely introverted,
and too much social interaction can trigger anxiety... so my depression
and anxiety are (were?) at odds with each other.

Good for you on keeping the bills paid and cats fed! That's success, IMO.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Kathy K}}}}}}}}}}}}}
--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com

Old January 4th 05, 04:04 PM
KDK

I know that feeling too! I can move to a town where I don't know anyone and
be ok, but go to a meeting where I don't know anyone? I don't think so!

Bleah is right.

Kathy K
"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kathy N-V
:

]Hooray! I'm not alone.

nope, not at all!

but it's incredibly hard for me to make myself go out. anywhere
except the shop. even to rock club meetings. and go someplace i
don't know anyone? alone? NOT! it must be part of the whole
depression/AADD/anxiety thing.

BLEAH!

i was probably always this way - and just didn't realize it because
having the kids around as an 'excuse' and company kept me from
recognizing it.

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com

Old January 4th 05, 04:06 PM
KDK

(((((Hugs))))) Stephanie. Know exactly what you are talking about.

Kathy K
"Stephanie" wrote in message
Tina wrote:Introvert just means that the company
of other people is a drain on their mental energies.

Kalera wrote: but if she's going through what
I think she's going through, all she REALLY REALLY needs is to be left
completely alone.

What I was thinking, was that for myself, I needed to keep a foot in
reality. I
will get totally sucked into depression and isolation. I can't
particularly
"participate" in a friendship but I try to keep some contact with some
loving
people. I need that so I don't get lost, lose all perspective. I do feel
very
guilty though. I don't want people to think that it's them that is driving
me
away, It's me that is just a mess right now. I don't have the strength for
anything more...

.Stephanie.

Gotta Question?
Google: rec.craft.bead
http://tinyurl.com/5wm36

Old January 4th 05, 10:11 PM
katieW.

I truly laughed outloud reading your post. DS would prefer I torture
him rather than banish him.

I am very much an introvert. I have a few really close friends with
whom I will get together every few months, and the rest of the time we
are email pals. My DS's father is also an introvert and quite the
loner.

My DS is the most extroverted, unselfconscious, outgoing person I've
ever known. He will talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime. He will
introduce himself to kids and adults alike. There are no strangers in
the world, only friends whose names he does not yet know. (We have
finally gotten the stranger danger concept through to him, thank God)
I look at him sometimes working a room like a seasoned politician (and
he is 7) and I truly wonder how I could have produced such a creature.
Perfect example... a few months ago, he flew out to meet me in
Baltimore. I was waiting at the gate to meet him (he had traveled as
an 'accompanied minor', in which he is in the care of one of the flight
attendants) a startlingly large number of people who got off the plane
approached me and said something to the effect of, "you must be
Michael's mom. He is a wonderful child". Obviously, during the 2 hour
flight, he had made his aquaintance with half the airplane. He and the
flight attendant, along with the rest of the crew, were the last ones
off of the airplane, and they were all deep in discussion. He will
also man my table at an artfair while I go to get food or run to the
loo. And he will go to other vendors close to my table, and volunteer
his services to carry loads for set-up and tear down(we always bring a
wagon), and will also watch other booths to give vendors quick breaks.
The kid could charm eskimos into buying ice cubes.

At least for now, he shows no signs of bi-polar, nor anxiety. I hope
he maintains his wonderfully open and sunny disposition. I cannot
understand it, but even in my darkest days, his presence will bring me
joy.

Old January 5th 05, 03:02 AM
Christina Peterson

Interesting that you grouped extroverted with unself-conscious. I think
feeling self-conscious has to do with feeling confident. I don't think
self-confidence is any higher in extroverts than in introverts. Extroverts
would however cover self-consciousness with words. Often even talk or put
on a show to distract people, trying to hide insecurity.

Tina

oups.com...

Old January 9th 05, 06:09 AM
KDK

I know what you mean. I have as a goal to make myself leave the house at
least once a day - yet another reason I'm glad I got a PO box.

Kathy K

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "KDK"
:

]I know that feeling too! I can move to a town where I don't know anyone
and
]be ok, but go to a meeting where I don't know anyone? I don't think so!

i have trouble going out at all.
i'm beginning to feel like i hide in the house.
but i'm trying to work on it.

luckily, as far as the rock club . . . david went with me the first
couple of times . . . so i had a chance to at least put names to a few
faces. but even now, though i know most of them by name, i have a
hard time forcing myself to get there.

**sigh**

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
(Metalsmithing) http://www.snugglewench.com
yahooID: vjean95967
-----------
"Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential
food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat." -- Alex Levine

Old January 9th 05, 05:06 PM
Karen_AZ

I know what you mean. I have as a goal to make myself leave the house at
least once a day - yet another reason I'm glad I got a PO box.

I know what Kathy and Vicki mean, but here's another perspective. ;-)

I used to be something like that....partly lack of motivation/inclination,
partly just days when I was so enthralled with whatever glass I was
obsessing over that I was jealous of every minute spent on anything else.

But, since school started in August it's ALL been different. DD has an
early-morning class, and they don't provide buses for A-hour (why do they
provide buses home from detention but not legit academics???). So every
morning I have to get her out the door by 6:30. At least twice a week she
stays after school for groups she's involved with. Again, no bus. Weekends
she's got more social life than I ever had at her age, and somehow I get
roped into rides one direction or another. I got so fed up with this that I
made a 24-hour rule....I MUST be asked (nicely) a minimum of 24 hours before
they plan to do something, and if anyone else is involved I'll only give
rides one way. Last year I honestly felt I could start declaring myself as a
taxi service, and I made that known to some of the other key parents.
Thankfully it's gotten better. And she'll be getting her driver's license in
April.

insert sideline rant about stay at home mom's being taken for granted

My point (before all that venting) is that I haven't had a day at home, all
day, since November. I can remember thinking to myself "wow, I haven't been
out for anything in two days" a while back. But no more.

And, of course, there's the constant peeking at our house-in-progress. I'll
just aspire to be a hermit again after we move. G

KarenK (shut-in wannabe)

Old January 10th 05, 12:19 AM
KDK

I understand that too - and if I was getting stuff DONE I'd be fine with not
leaving the house. (I think I'm a hermit at heart!)

I look back to all the driving etc my Mom did - geez.

And you have my sympathy for having to leave at 6:30 twice a week (I am so
NOT a morning person - that sounds just torturous!)

KathyK

Old January 10th 05, 12:34 AM
Kathy N-V

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:06:04 -0500, Karen_AZ wrote
(in message HvdEd.53340$Cl3.27807@fed1read03):

My point (before all that venting) is that I haven't had a day at home, all
day, since November. I can remember thinking to myself "wow, I haven't been
out for anything in two days" a while back. But no more.

It's all a matter of perspective. I used to feel that way before I
got sick, because I was so insanely busy. I would wake up every
morning, praying it was the weekend. Now that it's always a weekend,
it gets old.

It was like when I started traveling for business. The first two or
three times were wonderful - I got to stay in a nice hotel. (Nicer
than anything I'd have paid for myself, anyway) I ate out every
night, and I got to feel like a real executive. After about the
fifteenth time, it started to get old. After the hundredth time, I
was ready to beg my employers to let me stay in the office for a week
straight. And BTW, being a mid-level executive sucks. All the
responsibility and grief, none of the good stuff you read about in
the newspaper.

If you can get a good balance of being home and getting out, that
must be wonderful. I got out on Friday morning for a late breakfast
with Bob (yes, pancakes). I realized it had been quite some time
since I had been out, because gas cost $1.77/gallon, and it was over
$2.00 when I had gone out prior to that. Bob checked his little
logbook, and it had been before Christmas when I went out with him,
based on the price of gas. (Going to the doctor doesn't count as
going out, and Bob always tanks up before we leave for the hospital
to save time)

KarenK (shut-in wannabe)

Make it temporary shut-in wannabe, and I'll believe it. :-)

Kathy N-V

a proper intro? -- long Peggy Beads 37 September 27th 04 07:47 PM
Kandice, Candace, Starlia !!! (Or Anybody, Really) Rachel T. Beads 2 August 25th 04 05:54 AM
Starlia gone mad:) Candace Beads 4 July 17th 04 03:20 AM
AD, OT and On Topic - many posts in one! (long) Kandice Seeber Beads 33 July 11th 04 01:33 AM
Hellooo! Anyone remember me? (long...epic-ly long ;o) Kyla Beads 16 May 23rd 04 10:28 PM