Kids Making Hugs

Old February 28th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
witchystitcher

Default Kids Making Hugs

I met with my kiddie quilters yesterday and they decided they want to
make a quilt for their classmate whose father was killed by a drunk
driver last week. We brainstormed some ideas.

There is one child in 4th grade and another in 2nd grade and one who
is 2 years old. They decided that all the 4th graders and 2nd graders
should make individual blocks and all the other classes should make a
larger group block.

I came up with the idea of using fabric crayons to do this. Does
anyone have experience with these? I tried sharpie markers, but they
ran and bled into the fabric. Any other ideas what we could use? I
will be coordinating this with the art teacher.
Linda
PATCHogue, NY
Old February 28th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/cat...m?cata_id=2590
These can supposedly be washed out until they are ironed to
set the dye. Haven't tried washing out but the colours are
bright. They look and feel more like what I call oil
pastels. I ironed printed blocks onto freezer paper,
coloured in and ironed.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...ng-Crayons.htm
These I have but haven't got to use use yet. They are more
like the traditional crayon shape and feel. Instructions
say outline transfer (or drawing I guess) with pigma pen,
colour and iron - sounds like a similar process to the
others.

But colouring on fabric is a PITA so you will need to think
about a stabiliser of some sort, like freezer paper or iron
on stuff.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

:

Old February 28th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DLW

I bought a small kit while in Texas last year at a LQS there that required
crayon work. The woman there told me to use plain ol' Crayola Crayons then
take just a cheap piece of muslim, lay it over it and press it.. DON'T IRON
IT BACK AND FORTH and melt the crayon into the fabric to set it. Of course
I have NOT tried this yet for the kit went in the drawer with all the
other... well.. kits. LOL!

Good luck!!
Debi

Old February 28th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Yes - just good ol' crayons will work too. The fabric dye
ones just tend to be a bit "softer" and easier to put more
colour onto the fabric.
--

"DLW" wrote in message
:I bought a small kit while in Texas last year at a LQS
there that required
: crayon work. The woman there told me to use plain ol'
Crayola Crayons then
: take just a cheap piece of muslim, lay it over it and
press it.. DON'T IRON
: IT BACK AND FORTH and melt the crayon into the fabric to
set it. Of course
: I have NOT tried this yet for the kit went in the drawer
with all the
: other... well.. kits. LOL!
:
: Good luck!!
: Debi
:
:
: ...

Old March 1st 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

We've had better luck with Crayola Fabric Markers. We just had a Project
Linus event on Monday - the particpants colored approximately 150 fabric
squares in a couple hours. The colors are bright and you can heat set them
by tossing the squares in the dryer, rather than ironing each one
individually. Just be sure you take them out of the dryer right away or
you'll end up ironing them anyway - ask me how I know that!
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

Old March 1st 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

We've had reports that good ol' crayons fade fairly quickly. That's how we
started out doing the fabric squares for Project Linus quilts.

Old March 1st 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

Just last week on Simply Quilts there was a segment on class quilts and the
materials used to produce them. They had some markers that the instructor
assured Alex the inks would stand up to abuse. Here's a link to the episode
guide.

http://tinyurl.com/2jd92r

Hope this helps!
--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

Old March 1st 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

WitchyStitcher wrote:
[...]

Some of the wax crayons for drawing on fabric need synthetic fabric, so
watch out for those.

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old March 1st 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

how about textile paints?
or sun painting?
oops not enough sun outside up north this time of yr.

i'd say do what you can to make it a quickish project.
oh, if there are 3 children, how about one small one for each of them to
carry around. they might each want their own to hold and hug at night when
they go to bed. doesnt need to be huge either. just something will suffice.
just my 2 cents.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08