Afghan Advice, Please

Old October 9th 03, 04:36 PM
MaryPulver

Default Afghan Advice, Please

While in Des Moines I came across beautiful pattern called The Long Thistle.
It's fromLandmark Tapestries & Charts. It's a stem of three thistles on a
plaid ground surrounded by a gold Greek key pattern. I have a dear friend who
used to stitch but whose eyes are too bad for her to do it anymore. She's of
Scottish descent, and this thistle would be a terrific thing for her, either to
stitch or as a present.

Well, I had this Idea (you know how it is). If we could share the stitching on
something big, like an afghan, we could share the stitching, as in a very small
round robin, and that would be wonderful. There were afghans with evenweave
areas on them for sale at CATS, but all with a center area to stitch were
square. This pattern is very long and narrow, 77 by 189 stitches. Any ideas?

Mary Monica
aka Monica Ferris

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, nobody knows what
they are. -Somerset Maugham
Old October 9th 03, 07:30 PM
FKBABB

There were afghans with evenweave
areas on them for sale at CATS, but all with a center area to stitch were
square. This pattern is very long and narrow, 77 by 189 stitches. Any ideas?

Zwiegart makes an afghan fabric called "Gloria" with a center square 29 1/2 by
21 1/2, on a seven-count (stitched over two) ground, so that would be large
enough for your pattern which would work out to 11 by 27 at that gauge.
However, I think it might look better on a soft, drapable evenweave of large
scale, such as 20-count (10 stitches per inch over-two) Laguna, or 18-count (9
stitches) Davosa, both of which come in a variety of colors, including navy,
black and green, and of which would be a richer background for the design you
describe than a plain cream of a standard afghan. I could see doing this on
one of the darks, leaving the image surrounded by a 12-18 inch border on all
sides, then repeating the Greek key design at the outer edge.

Annie

Old October 9th 03, 07:54 PM
SGC

Make an afghan w/ single crochet that would be large enough (stitches x
rows) to cross-stitch the Thistle on. I made an afghan out of white yarn
(btw: the baby yarn is much smaller and will make the design look more
detailed than regular worsted weight yarn will) and then cross-stitched a
design on it; you can even get another yarn that matches a color in the
design and use that to make a lacy border

So, do you like my idea? I know I like your books
SGC

Old October 9th 03, 09:17 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Speaking of crochet, an exquisite ground for cross stitch embroidery is
tunisian (afghan) crochet and they whip up quickly. Look like knitting
on the back, little squares on the front for cross stitching.
You can put the picture anywhere you want on it.
Dianne

Old October 10th 03, 03:56 AM
Alison

On 09 Oct 2003 18:30:39 GMT, (FKBABB) wrote:

[...]

Silkweaver fabrics has some hand-dyed afghans. I haven't seen any of
them in real life but I've had nothing but good experiences ordering
from her. They are Anne Cloth afghans, mostly lighter colors but
there is a lovely lavender swirl that would look great with a thistle.
I did a small thistle from this same company on lavender fabric (over
one) and the colors of the thistle are really almost pink so they
looked great on lavender.

http://www.silkweaver.com/fabric/afghans.html

Alison
Old October 11th 03, 02:34 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Speaking of crochet, an exquisite ground for cross stitch embroidery is
tunisian (afghan) crochet and they whip up quickly. Look like knitting
on the back, little squares on the front for cross stitching.
You can put the picture anywhere you want on it.

Plus, I think it makes for a nicer afghan. It's
nice and thick and tight.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 11th 03, 11:08 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Yes, they are. :-) But I don't think very many have seem them, so they
don't know what we're talking about. grin
Just got back from my daughters and saw my second grandson for the first
time. Daughter had this very lacy white crocheted piece over the arm of
the couch and I asked her where she got it? I looked at it. She said
it was for the baby from a friend, and the friend's first piece.
First thing daughter said, "I never use it because the baby gets his
fingers caught in it."
Yep. That's why I don't like those lacy things for blankets.
But afghan crochet is entirely different.
Dianne

Old October 13th 03, 05:14 PM
Joan Erickson

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Speaking of crochet, an exquisite ground for cross stitch embroidery
is tunisian (afghan) crochet and they whip up quickly.

I certainly didn't find it to work up quickly, Dianne (although the
stitch is pretty easy to do)! You have to do each row (essentially)
twice. It took me over a year to make the afghan for my sister! Of
course, it wasn't baby-sized, either. And talk about heavy!!! It was a
Native American-type geometric pattern from Mary Maxim about 10 years
ago. I started it in the summer, thinking I'd give it to Dsis for her
b-day in Oct. Nope, maybe Christmas. Wasn't done then, either. I
finally finished it right before her b-day the following year. And I
didn't work on anything else during that time, either. It came out
really nice, though, and she really loves it and still uses it, so I
guess it was worth the effort.
As always, YMMV!
--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old October 13th 03, 08:38 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well, I suppose if you're used to doing very lacy crocheted things, then
no, they're not fast. But they're as fast as knitting a patterned
afghan. Anytime you do a large piece, it's going to take some time.

I just don't think of afghan (tunisian) crochet as "slow", especially if
you work in panels, which go pretty quickly. I feel like I'm
accomplishing something when I finish a panel and start another.

and yes, baby crib blankets are much faster than an adult-sized afghan.
But they last forever.

They aren't so heavy if you don't make them in tapestry weight yarns.
Mary Maxim used to have such beautiful patterns, but normally worked in
heavier yarns. Yes, they weigh a ton, especially when embroidered!
Dianne

Joan Erickson wrote:

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

[...]

ebay: Crochet and Single Afghan Patterns..... marilyn safier Marketplace 1 July 15th 04 01:18 AM
Attention: all afghan (crochet) lovers, (wait, there's more!) marilyn safier Marketplace 0 April 13th 04 08:50 PM
Art Fair Advice Rebecca Thomas Jewelry 4 January 29th 04 04:39 PM
Afghan Advice, Please MaryPulver Needlework 0 October 9th 03 04:33 PM