Quilted jacket question

Old January 25th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Quilted jacket question

I am making a quilted bargello jacket. I am using Thermore batting in
the body of the jacket. I'm trying to decide whether or not to put
Thermore in the sleeves. It's optional; the class sample did not have
it. I plan to wear it like a sweater or suit jacket in fall & winter.
The class sample was lined in quilting cotton, but I prefer a more
slippery lining, so I think I am going to use a polyester lining. What
do you think - should I add the Thermore to the sleeves?

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 25th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Will it still wear comfortably with the added bulk?

Do your arms usually get cold as much or more than your trunk?

T.

Old January 25th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Because if I have cold arms I'm cold all over, I would put it in.
I also echo your feeling about polyester lining at least for the
sleeves. I have tried cotton and it is a nuisance to take on and off.
..
In message , Julia in MN
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 26th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Patti wrote:

Because if I have cold arms I'm cold all over, I would put it in.
I also echo your feeling about polyester lining at least for the
sleeves. I have tried cotton and it is a nuisance to take on and off.

Same here, but I might try a silk lining for real luxury!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 26th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I realize there's a heap of difference in the cold in MN and in MS but if
you are going to get serious with the warmth in the sleeves, you might enjoy
making the sleeves just a bit bigger around. Being warm is nice. Being
able to move in the jacket will be nice too. Polly

Old January 26th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kate Dicey wrote:
Patti wrote:

Because if I have cold arms I'm cold all over, I would put it in.
I also echo your feeling about polyester lining at least for the
sleeves. I have tried cotton and it is a nuisance to take on and off.

Same here, but I might try a silk lining for real luxury!

I want to jacket to be machine washable and dryable. Besides I have a
nice piece of poly lining left over from DD's bridesmaids' dresses; it's
the right amount and the right color. I don't know what else I'd ever
use it for.

Old January 26th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly Esther wrote:
I realize there's a heap of difference in the cold in MN and in MS but if
you are going to get serious with the warmth in the sleeves, you might enjoy
making the sleeves just a bit bigger around. Being warm is nice. Being
able to move in the jacket will be nice too. Polly

I'm using Thermore batting, which is pretty thin. I think the pattern
has plenty of room in the sleeves, but I will double check that. I
suspect that the original intent for the pattern is to put batting in
the sleeves, because it calls for the same amount of batting as lining
fabric

Old January 26th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Julia in MN wrote:

I want to jacket to be machine washable and dryable. Besides I have a
nice piece of poly lining left over from DD's bridesmaids' dresses; it's
the right amount and the right color. I don't know what else I'd ever
use it for.

Oh, use it up then! No point in wasting it...

Old January 26th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'd put it in. IMO it does show if the sleeves aren't the same weight as the
rest of the jacket. And I'm with you on the slippery lining. In fact, I'd
use it on the body too. Made a vest with cotton inside once and the dratted
thing clings. Tends to make any untucked T-shirt underneath it ride up.
Roberta in D

"Julia in MN" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...