Hoping to drum up some stamping conversation

Old September 28th 04, 08:00 PM
Alison Bowes

Default Hoping to drum up some stamping conversation

Okay, well - no offense to the vendors, but COMMs and ADs are all that's
been around of late... it's a bit sad. Of course, I cannot complain since I
haven't been doing my part either!

So, I have hardly stamped at all in the past nine months (no, I'm not
pregnant), but recently I had occasion to make some shower invitations.
Even though I didn't stamp on them at all, they're quite nice in their
simplicity, and it got the creative juices flowing again (thank God!)

I'm working on Christmas cards - everyone's favorite topic this time of year
(sorry, Pat!) But, really, my topic isn't about Christmas cards (although
you should definitely feel free and encouraged to chat about what you're
doing this year for the holidays, if anything, stamping-wise). My deal is
this: my "A-list" cards this year are going to be bulky and delicate. How
would you advise mailing them? Mailing them is a must, and I don't want to
spend $1 per box in order to ship them in boxes - although perhaps that will
be my only choice. So - any creative tips for mailing a (~5x7) card that
will probably be ~1/4 - 1/2 inch thick, with delicateness to that thickness
that would not withstand an envelope, or even a padded envelope, I don't
think.

If you're curious, I'm doing snowflake ornaments using the Holly Berry House
"medalions" snowblossoms. I stamp and emboss the image three times per
ornament, cut and layer portions of the image to make a three-d dangly.

Come out, come out wherever you are! Let's get a discussion rolling! Start
a topic of your own if this one isn't for you!

Kind regards,
Alison

Old September 28th 04, 11:37 PM
Judy

I too, make all my Christmas cards; I make them for my father as well. I've
got 110 done and only 10 more to make! Because of the number I do, mine
aren't as elaborate as yours sound, so regular envelopes do it for me!
BTW I don't make 120 of the same card. I usually do 8 - 12 of one design
than move on to another design. That way I don't get bored. The hardest part
is deciding which card to send to whom!

--
Peace,
Judy Mitchell

Old September 29th 04, 12:47 AM
SuzaStampin

I don't have any constructive ways to mail your cards, but they do
sound wonderful!
And, I'd love to see some chat get started in this group!

Suz

Old September 29th 04, 06:50 AM
Pat Kight

Alison Bowes wrote:

Okay, well - no offense to the vendors, but COMMs and ADs are all that's
been around of late... it's a bit sad. Of course, I cannot complain since I
haven't been doing my part either!

So, I have hardly stamped at all in the past nine months (no, I'm not
pregnant), but recently I had occasion to make some shower invitations.
Even though I didn't stamp on them at all, they're quite nice in their
simplicity, and it got the creative juices flowing again (thank God!)

I'm working on Christmas cards - everyone's favorite topic this time of year
(sorry, Pat!)

*laugh* That's one way to shake me out of the woodwork.

But no - I only object to the idea of *my* stamping holiday cards. You go
right ahead and do whatever you enjoy! I'm sure they're wonderful.

But, really, my topic isn't about Christmas cards (although
you should definitely feel free and encouraged to chat about what you're
doing this year for the holidays, if anything, stamping-wise).

Ah, there's the rub. I'm not stamping anything for the holidays (or much of
anything else) these days; I've taken up knitting. And discussing those
projects, as much fun as they are, would be waaaaay off-topic for this
newsgroup. (If anybody wants to see some of this stuff, it starts he
http://www.peak.org/~kightp/gallery/knit1.html)

I'm sure I'll get back to stamping one of these days. I've got all those
*supplies,* for one thing. Maybe I'll even incorporate stamped images into
the packaging for all the stuff I'm knitting. But at the moment, I'm all
about what a friend of mine calls "the yarn crack" ('cause it's just as
addictive as stamping.)

Good for you for trying to revive the newsgroup, Alison. I look forward to
what people have to say.

--
Pat Kight

Old September 29th 04, 06:59 PM
Wave Jumper

I took a class Saturday on how to make a greeting card box. It was
interesting but didn't close perfectly so will be trying it again with an
"experts" help tomorrow. I don't think the side pieces were cut large
enough because they didn't met when closed.

I keep talking about starting my Christmas cards but so far nothing has
developed on paper. I usually wait until a week before Christmas and then
I'm rushing like mad to finish them. I always promise myself I'll do better
next year but the same thing always happens. Anyone else have this problem
or am I one of a kind? :-(

-SAD-

Old October 1st 04, 08:43 AM
Lin

Good for you for trying to revive the newsgroup, Alison. I look forward

what people have to say.

snip

I save up all the pieces of bubble wrap I come across throughout the year
and I use it to cover the front of any delicate cards then just use ordinary
envelopes. Hope this helps. I have not decided on my cards for this year
yet.I do about 120, November will get me going.

Lin

Old October 1st 04, 12:47 PM
Cecelia Medbery

I save up all the pieces of bubble wrap I come across throughout the
year

Speaking of bubble wrap... I take a brayer and run it across an ink pad (I
use More Mustard) then across the bubble wrap (bubbles up) then I turn the
bubble wrap bubbles down facing a piece of cardstock (I use white) and
brayer the back. It makes a background that looks like a honeycomb.

Cecelia

Old October 1st 04, 07:07 PM
Nancy Handy

Lin wrote:
I have not decided on my cards for this year
yet.I do about 120, November will get me going.

I don't stamp Christmas cards, but I have found store bought cards that
had large empty spaces upon which to stamp something quick and pretty.
And then seal it and off it goes, stress free.

Nancy
Old October 2nd 04, 12:12 AM
Lin

"Cecelia Medbery" wrote in message
I save up all the pieces of bubble wrap I come across throughout the
year

Speaking of bubble wrap... I take a brayer and run it across an ink pad

(I
use More Mustard) then across the bubble wrap (bubbles up) then I turn the
bubble wrap bubbles down facing a piece of cardstock (I use white) and
brayer the back. It makes a background that looks like a honeycomb.

Cecelia

Great idea, I can imagine I will be sending out coloured bubble wrap this

year (never waste anything) lol

Lin

Old October 2nd 04, 08:56 PM
hansen

Forgot about the bubble wrap thing - I last used it on an altered book
page with luminiere - came out great! How can I get this into my
Christmas cards?
I have supposedly decided on the one I want to make for the majority of
my cards - but still keep getting ideas and making more cards. I have
done individual cards the last three years (only send out about 60) and
now I'm trying to stop that because I don't keep a record of who got
what and am reluctant to repeat any cards. I have a few cards that
would be worth repeating - maybe I'll make them up as gift sets.
If you want to see a few of my cards try:

http://home.comcast.net/~janet.hansen/cards.html

I have just tried putting this page together, so please forgive the
strange format - I haven't learned how to do anymore, yet.

Janet