HELP! Looking for suggestions for my 'crafty' wife. ;)

Old November 25th 03, 08:48 PM
John

Default HELP! Looking for suggestions for my 'crafty' wife. ;)

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

My wife is really into scrapbooking and rubber stamping. I'm hoping to get
her a really nice gift, and hopefully very useful, but I know very little
about the subjects. What items could I get her that you love and can't live
without? Crafting tools or organizers would be great.

If you know off the top of your head where the items you suggest can be
found, please include that info. Otherwise, I'll do an internet search and
try to find them.

Thanks for any and all suggestions,

John

Old November 25th 03, 09:18 PM
Erin-Joi Collins McNeal

If she is into scrapbooking as well as stamping, I am sure that organizers
would go over well. The craft stores have storage units and storage luggage
that can transport scrapbook and stamping supplies and projects. There are
large organizers with multiple pockets and open areas as well as organizers
strictly for scissors or punches or other supplies.

If she has her own stamping room, I have a different idea. I would love to
have cabinetry put in around the walls of my stamping room. Kitchen style
cabinets with open, adjustable shelves above the cabinets. (Excuse me while
I remove the drool!!) This gives counter space for the paper cutter, Xyrons
and other small appliances. Closed storage for some items, open for others.

What you are doing is a fabulous idea!
Best of luck!
Erin-Joi

If you think that something small cannot make a difference---try sleeping
with a mosquito in the room.

If I told you that I was walking 35 miles in 2 days to help women with
undetected breast cancer find out early enough to survive, would you support
me? http://erinjoi.pledgepage.com
Feel free to forward my pledgepage to anyone interested in the walk or the
cause.

igy.com...

Old November 26th 03, 04:04 AM
hansen

An Ott light! I got one for Christmas 2 years ago and still love it!
Check the internet - lots of styles and good prices.
Janet

Erin-Joi Collins McNeal wrote:
[...]

igy.com...

Old November 26th 03, 05:36 AM
John

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't heard of those. You're right in that
there are a lot of styles. Do you know what style you have?

"hansen" wrote in message
[...]

igy.com...

Old November 26th 03, 06:04 AM
John

She does really seem to like the organizers. Any "ultimate" organizer out
there you can suggest? I'm not sure the cabinets will work because her
craft room is actually a bedroom and we want to stay a bedroom in case we
have to move.

Thanks for your suggestions,

John

"Erin-Joi Collins McNeal" wrote in message
[...]

igy.com...

Old November 26th 03, 10:41 AM
PENDANT23

She does really seem to like the organizers. Any "ultimate" organizer out
there you can suggest? I'm not sure the cabinets will work because her
craft room is actually a bedroom and we want to stay a bedroom in case we
have to move.

In my walking closet, I have a cabinet we got at home depot to store linens and
bathroom stuff. It is actually two cabinets. One that is about 5' tall and one
about 2.5' tall on top. They screw together and we have 2 small brackets
holding the top one to the wall, also. The bottom one is so heavy it is not
going anywhere. The big one has 3 to 4 shelves and smaller one has one shelf.
They are the kind you can buy more laminate shelves for because they use the
little pegs to hold the shelves at whatever level you want.

Mine is all white which could be painted or stenciled on quite easily. Also, if
we were to remove it, all that would be left is two hole in the walls at 6 feet
and an impression in the carpet.

Shawn
WIP -- New Baby!

Old November 26th 03, 04:12 PM
Erin-Joi Collins McNeal

What kind of organizer to get depends on what your wife has or does. Take a
look around her craft area.
Are the scissors all over the place -- get a scissor organizer
Does she have trouble storing paper? -- get a paper organizer
Does she teach or travel with her crafts? -- get a travel tote or backpack

Some different organizers

At Michael's Craft Stores
Fiskers Paper Edgers Tote -- great way to store scissors!
Crop Station Create a bag -- different sizes, some work together, all around
good tote

At JoAnns's Craft Stores
Crop-in-style totes, backpacks, organizers

Office Depot/Office Max/Staples Etc
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=325204 this is an example of
a way to store 8.5x11 paper, I have the cheaper cardboard version. It's
great for storing paper!

Online
http://www.webyfl.com/item.jhtml?PRID=1381300 Weekender Packpack, I asked my
husband to get me this for teaching
http://www.scrapbook101.com/productl...organizers.htm
another backpack as well as the Crop-in-style, a friend loves her
crop-in-style, it travels very well!

Have fun!

Old November 26th 03, 06:45 PM
John

The suggestions I've been getting here and elsewhere have led to me go in
one of two directions:

1) Get her a Xyron 510, 250, and a 150. It seems like a lot of crafters
prefer to have different machine for different size projects.
*** If any of you think this is overkill, please let me know. I don't want
to get her one of the smaller ones if she won't use it.

2) Get her either a QuicKutz or a Sizzix machine with a set of alphabet
dies. (It seems like there are a lot of other items to consider with these
machines, as well.)
*** I've seen a couple of threads debating which is better. QK seems to
make sharper cuts; Sizzix is cheaper but still good. As I understand it,
Sizzix can be modified to use QK's dies so that you have a wider variety of
dies to choose from.

Any thoughts on which way to go?

Thanks again,

John

igy.com...

Old November 26th 03, 08:59 PM
Shelley

John
I have never had a problem with my sizzex! Nice cuts and easy. And yes, you
can use QK with it!

--
șoș Shelley șoș
Ontario, Canada

436 pages done in 2003
"John" wrote in message
[...]

igy.com...

Old November 26th 03, 09:37 PM
JennP

"John" wrote in message
The suggestions I've been getting here and elsewhere have led to me go in
one of two directions:

1) Get her a Xyron 510, 250, and a 150. It seems like a lot of crafters
prefer to have different machine for different size projects.
*** If any of you think this is overkill, please let me know. I don't

want
to get her one of the smaller ones if she won't use it.

That seems like a bit of overkill. Is the 150 the x-box? I love that little
thing. That would make a good stocking stuffer.

2) Get her either a QuicKutz or a Sizzix machine with a set of alphabet
dies. (It seems like there are a lot of other items to consider with

these
machines, as well.)
*** I've seen a couple of threads debating which is better. QK seems to
make sharper cuts;

Huh. Never heard that one...

Sizzix is cheaper but still good. As I understand it,
Sizzix can be modified to use QK's dies so that you have a wider variety

of
dies to choose from.

I own a QK so I am partial to it. Does she go to crops? If so, you should
get her the QK. It is very portable while the Sizzix isn't. It fits right in
my Navigator bag.

www.scrapbookexpress.com has some *fantastic* deals on starter kits. Hand
tool w/all accessories + an alphabet for a discounted price. All of their QK
stuff is always 25% off. Just check for availability since somethings take a
bit to come in stock. They will order, but it might take a while. If I were
your wife, I'd want that!
--
JennP.

Pages scrapped in 2003: lost track!!

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." (Albert
Einstein)

make some crafty money R Marketplace 0 October 10th 04 01:52 AM
Anyone have crafty activities for children age 7-10 years old?? Charlene General Crafting 1 September 28th 04 01:48 AM
Is it crafty? Cidtalk General Crafting 0 June 28th 04 01:05 PM
FA: Crafty framed art Arys Marketplace 0 October 28th 03 03:25 PM
Crafty Course week 3 now posted Tcgaisford Doll Houses 0 September 6th 03 02:19 PM