What to stamp?

Old November 17th 03, 05:00 PM
Gina Bull

Default What to stamp?

In an earlier thread Pat Kight mentioned that she doesn't make many
cards anymore, but does stamp. I know there are boxes, etc made to be
stamped, and gift bags and tags are a natural, but what else do you
stamp? I'd love some inspiration for what to do with my stamps besides
cards, bags, and tags.

Gina
"If it'll stay still, stamp it!"

Old November 17th 03, 05:21 PM
gundoc

Hi,

You can stamp on christmas stockings, stamp some ornaments, sweatshirts,
small wallhanging, (you can name anything that you want to stamp on), also
you can stamp on a plain paper and then decoupage that paper to the jar,
wood slat, tin can (like the butter cookies in the tin can), stamp on a big
wood flat picture frame for decorations. This just give you some ideas.

Marcie )

Old November 17th 03, 07:19 PM
Pat Kight

Gina Bull wrote:
In an earlier thread Pat Kight mentioned that she doesn't make many
cards anymore, but does stamp. I know there are boxes, etc made to be
stamped, and gift bags and tags are a natural, but what else do you
stamp? I'd love some inspiration for what to do with my stamps besides
cards, bags, and tags.

Gina
"If it'll stay still, stamp it!"

*grin* You answered your own question in your tag line.

Things I've stamped for gift-giving and other purposes:

* Inexpensive silk scarves (use a heat-setting fabric ink)
* T-shirts (fabric ink, big, blocky stamps)
* Altoid tins (spray paint them, stamp them, fill them with trinkets
appropriate to the recipient
* Papier mache objects, boxes, etc.
* Polymer clay jewelry
* Shrink plastic jewelry
* Cheap cloth painters' caps (again, fabric ink)
* Plain wooden picture frames
* Those flat tins AoL disks come in - stamp them and enclose a
home-burned CD of your favorite music or photos
* Blank tarot-style cards
* Cheap plastic shower-curtain liners (use permanent ink) to match
someone's bathroom decor
* Stamp on tissue paper, wrap it around an inexpensive pillar-shaped
candle and use your heat gun - carefully - to melt the wax a little; the
paper will disappear into the candle's surface, making it look as if the
candles themselves were stamped
* Ceramic tiles and plain glass plates (use permanent ink)
* Blank journals - stamp the cover, and maybe a corner of some of the pages
* Cheap paper and envelopes - stamp a matching design to make pretty
stationary
* Mouse pads.
* Book plates (use standard office labels, run them through your
computer to add "this book belongs to (recipient) and then add a stamped
design.
* Shrines and altars: I've used small wooden doll wardrobes (available
unfinished from craft stores) to create little personal shrines
incorporating stamped images, collage and three-dimensional stuff like
beads, doll parts and figurines. These are easier to show than to describe:

http://www.peak.org/~kightp/gallery/collage3.html

I especially like stamping any kind of inexpensive box, tin or container
- practically anything with a flat, stampable surface - in a theme that
matches the recipient's interests, home decor, etc. Fill the container
with home-baked treats or M&Ms or paperclips or whatever; the container
becomes the gift.

Have fun!

--
Pat Kight

Old November 17th 03, 07:24 PM
Alison

"Pat Kight" wrote in message
* Altoid tins (spray paint them, stamp them, fill them with trinkets
appropriate to the recipient)

Pat (and/or anyone who's done tins), what do you do when you decorate tins
so that they'll clase and open without difficulty? I've had fun doing a
few, but either they're difficult to open/close because the paint mars the
fit, or they look wonky undecorated above the overlap.

So, what do you do?
TIA,
Alison

Old November 17th 03, 07:31 PM
Alison

"Gina Bull" wrote in message
In an earlier thread Pat Kight mentioned that she doesn't make many
cards anymore, but does stamp. I know there are boxes, etc made to be
stamped, and gift bags and tags are a natural, but what else do you
stamp? I'd love some inspiration for what to do with my stamps besides
cards, bags, and tags.

I've done porcelain coasters and ornaments this year (I got mine from
http://www.cridgeware.com).

Until this summer, I had no desire to stamp anything but cards, then all of
a sudden I was tired of them! I've long wanted some cool, decorated jeans,
but don't like the "dirty" jean look that has been so popular lately, so
took a pair of my own and did this:

http://www.geocities.com/puddin_claire/jeans1.html

(there are several shots of them, thus the "next" link on the page(s))

I had a *blast* making them, and get a big kick out of wearing them!

HTH,
Alison

Old November 17th 03, 07:39 PM
Pat Kight

Alison wrote:
"Pat Kight" wrote in message

* Altoid tins (spray paint them, stamp them, fill them with trinkets
appropriate to the recipient)

Pat (and/or anyone who's done tins), what do you do when you decorate tins
so that they'll clase and open without difficulty? I've had fun doing a
few, but either they're difficult to open/close because the paint mars the
fit, or they look wonky undecorated above the overlap.

I use spray automotive primer for the base coat, which doesn't seem to
cause the stickiness/buildup problems spray enamel does. If I want a
glossy finish, I brush on gloss acylic medium after I'm all done
stamping and embellishing, taking care not to coat the overlapping bits.
It seems to be the glossy media/coatings that cause the tins to stick
when they're shut.

Last year I covered a bunch of tins with thin sheets of polymer clay,
per the directions he

http://www.geocities.com/polyzine/january2001/tin.html

I used stamps to impress images on the lids, and in a couple of cases to
make transfers I added to the finished pieces after baking. It's
critical for these pieces to follow the instructions about trimming the
clay away from the hinges.

(It's not *quite* as simple as she makes it sound, but a little trial
and error produced a dozen distinctive and beautiful boxes)

--
Pat Kight

Old November 17th 03, 08:42 PM
Anita Keeton

Did you use fabric paint to stamp your jeans? They look really great and
don't look stiff at all.
Anita

Old November 17th 03, 09:19 PM
Gina Bull

I love the candle tip! I looked at Pat's gallery and got inspired by the
Naturalist's box -- we go to the beach evey year, and I could work on a
"Beach Box" there. I also *loved* the fans. Pat, where did you get the
fans' sticks -- a kit, or did you use cane, or what?

Gina

Old November 17th 03, 09:30 PM
juliasb(nospam)

A few I can think of off the top of my head that I do are, Jewelry,
walls, picture frames, wall hangings, and fabric . The sky is the
limit... if it is there it can be stamped.
juliasb

Gina Bull wrote:

In an earlier thread Pat Kight mentioned that she doesn't make many
cards anymore, but does stamp. I know there are boxes, etc made to be
stamped, and gift bags and tags are a natural, but what else do you
stamp? I'd love some inspiration for what to do with my stamps besides
cards, bags, and tags.

Gina
"If it'll stay still, stamp it!"

--

Conductor of the Squish-mobile

....come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

http://globnet.com/~flair/

Old November 17th 03, 09:30 PM
Alison

I used Lumieres, which are an acrylic paint ready for fabric... that is to
say, they work on fabrics without altering, but they aren't restricted to
fabric.

They aren't at all stiff. They did lose some intensity of color after the
first washing (after those pictures were taken), but have held strong since.
I like them less intense anyway.

Alison